Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with how to eat for long weekend get away

My husband and I are flying to Buffalo, New York this weekend for a long weekend get away to see some friends we haven't seen in a few years and go to a football game. I am right about 2 months out from surgery. I can eat most Proteins, but don't really eat much more because I don't have room in my tummy. I have only eaten out once since surgery and I was still in the Soup phase then. I am concerned about eating while we are gone. We are staying in a hotel and eating out most meals then tailgating for the game.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated?

Hotels: Do brunch. eggs and leans meats are your best bet. In the evening go for lean Protein and/or Soup. You can order an appetizer and request it come as your main.

Tailgating: Carry a small sandwich pack with a hard boiled egg, cheese cubes and a Water bottle. I would likely carry a Isopure tea or coconut Water (40 gms Protein per bottle). If offered go for lean meats no bread. The protein water will help keep you hydrated and give you good protein.

If you don't make it a big deal, chance are others won't either. Don't overthink it and have fun.

I'd say this is a case where it might be good to carry some good Protein bars with you. I found this helpful when I went to Texas over the summer, especially on the plane.

As for eating out at a restaurant, that can be tricky. A few months ago I got a little card from my surgeon that allows me to order off any kids menu, but the truth is I am not sure it's even really needed. Most waitstaff seemed happy to accommodate me even BEFORE I got the card. If you're eating at a restaurant, that could be the way to go depending on where you go. Lately I've seen a lot of grilled chicken options on kids menus. But a lot of times it's hamburgers and chicken fingers, which aren't the best choices. Sometimes you can order a side a la cart of grilled shrimp or other lean meats. Also if anyone in your dinner party is getting a salad you can always add grilled chicken on the side. I have utilized many of these tricks at least once! Since you'll be with your hubby it'll be easy for you to just add a little something to his dinner and just eat that. Maybe get a side of veggies if you need to.

As for the game and tailgating, I have little experience with that. If there's a Protein other than sausages/hotdogs then I'd stick with that. Grilled chicken or even part of a burger patty would be good!

Edited by heynowkc

Just order something that is Protein based and eat the protein part of the dish. I usually ask for double veg. Scrambled eggs or omelet for Breakfast. You can bring a sandwich to tailgate and just eat meat. I do these things often and believe me nobody will notice. Particularly after a drink or two.

Edited by Bndtoslv

Hotels: Do brunch. eggs and leans meats are your best bet. In the evening go for lean Protein and/or Soup. You can order an appetizer and request it come as your main.

Tailgating: Carry a small sandwich pack with a hard boiled egg, cheese cubes and a Water bottle. I would likely carry a Isopure tea or coconut Water (40 gms Protein per bottle). If offered go for lean meats no bread. The protein water will help keep you hydrated and give you good protein.

If you don't make it a big deal, chance are others won't either. Don't overthink it and have fun.

Hi. Sorry to butt in. Do the isopure teas (green and black) have caffeine in them?

I would only carry a few things like, cheese sticks, almonds ect... You will be able to find things to eat tailgaiting and at resturants. I have no problem finding something to eat wherever I go. Just don't eat the bread.< /p>

Hi. Sorry to butt in. Do the isopure teas (green and black) have caffeine in them?

Just checked the website. The green tea and black tea with lemon do contain caffeine. The coconut and fruit flavors do not. I have no negative reactions to caffeine and I can't have the food dyes that the other flavors of the No Carb Protein drinks come in.

Just checked the website. The green tea and black tea with lemon do contain caffeine. The coconut and fruit flavors do not. I have no negative reactions to caffeine and I can't have the food dyes that the other flavors of the No Carb protein drinks come in.

I was told no caffeine till I can meet me 64 oz of non caffeineeted preferably water goal each day...that might be a lil while lol. I'm still very new. ^_^ thank you!! I'll just go pick up a couple more flavored ones!

I travel for business at least 50% of the month. My biggest challenge has been Protein. I used to find stores and buy Protein shakes where I am going. That normally has issues. So now I get the single packs Protein powder from GNC (made by quest) and I travel with my mixer bottle. This way I can always have my Protein - without having to find a store nearby.

As for Snacks or things to bring to parties, I have found the following help.

meat and cheese burritos (thinly sliced meat wrapped about deli meat)

Beef and Turkey Jerky - there are single sized packs now

P3 packs and those are great for purse fillers - walgreens has then

Quest Protein Bars - these works the best for me - and taste the best for me

Have a wonderful TRIP!!!

I also have these GoStak Twist & Lock Storage jars I sometimes carry with me. It can be used as a stack or broken down into the individual pieces. I used this when I had to attend a Breakfast meeting that only promised continental breakfast. I carried my Vitamins and some unflavored Protein powder. I mixed half the Protein Powder in my coffee and half in some yogurt.

snack pack

I also have these GoStak Twist & Lock Storage jars I sometimes carry with me. It can be used as a stack or broken down into the individual pieces. I used this when I had to attend a Breakfast meeting that only promised continental breakfast. I carried my Vitamins and some unflavored Protein powder. I mixed half the Protein powder in my coffee and half in some yogurt.

Wow- that is cool. I will have to look into them.

Thanks for some of the tips and suggestions. I will definitely use them. I have eaten Protein Bars yet. I have tried to stay away from them due to the carbs. However for only a meal a day for a couple of days, it should not be to bad. Does anyone have any favorite bars they eat? I think I'll also try throwing some Jerky and nuts in my carry on bag/purse so I won't be without something if I get in a situation.

I don't use bars often, but I do keep some in my glove compartment in case of emergencies. I like Larabar and Kind bars because of the minimal ingredients, but they are pretty high in carbs.

@@Hello new me fish! Fish is healthy and soft on the stomach. Most restaurants have some kind of fish. Hopefully you like fish because if you don't this was a big fat waste of your time :)