Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass and acid reflux

I am new so please forgive me if this has been answered. Is bypass a better choice for those of us with severe acid reflux? I had an endoscopy a fe months ago and the doctor said he saw mild inflammation but that was it. I've read a bit that the sleeve can worsen reflux but I don't if that's the norm. Any insight on this would be great...I start calling doctors tomorrow! ????

I also read that sleeve can make issues with acid reflux/gerd worse. Speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

I also read that sleeve can make issues with acid reflux/gerd worse. Speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

Thanks! Yes, will definitely talk to the surgeon about it :)

I am revising from sleeve to bypass. I developed severe GERD post sleeve. I did not have GERD prior to Sleeve.

I am revising from sleeve to bypass. I developed severe GERD post sleeve. I did not have GERD prior to Sleeve.

GERD is awful isn't it? I hope your revision gives you relief from it. Mine is already bad enough.

yes - the sleeve can often (but not always) make GERD worse.

I was set on the sleeve then my endoscopy showed mild inflammation, as well. I did not want gastric bypass, so I was pretty bummed when my doctor told me he recommended RNY over the sleeve. He did, however, tell me that he would do the sleeve if that is what I decided. I decided on gastric bypass because I was worried I'd regret going against what he recommended. I researched it a lot, as well.

I had severe acid reflux for a couple years prior to surgery. I had RNY 28 months ago. I experienced no incidents of reflux after surgery.

I was set on the sleeve then my endoscopy showed mild inflammation, as well. I did not want gastric bypass, so I was pretty bummed when my doctor told me he recommended RNY over the sleeve. He did, however, tell me that he would do the sleeve if that is what I decided. I decided on gastric bypass because I was worried I'd regret going against what he recommended. I researched it a lot, as well.

Thank you. I was really leaning toward the sleeve as well but if my reflux got worse, I would be miserable. The first surgeon I talked to (who I am not using) was totally not concerned with my reflux but perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough. It was also just the free one-on-one seminar so he probably didn't want to give too much info :)

I had severe acid reflux for a couple years prior to surgery. I had RNY 28 months ago. I experienced no incidents of reflux after surgery.

Thank you James! I can't imagine not having reflux - I've had it for so long. It would be so nice! :)

@

Go with the bypass. Do all the research you can but i read a lot of ppl on here revising from sleeve to rny due to gerd. Better safe than sorry.

I had such bad gerd with the band. Revised to RNY June 23 and havent had it again since. Let me tell you not having Gerd is even better than the weight loss. sleep is the most precious thing.

LOTS of people have to have another surgery after sleeve due to reflux getting WORSE!

Thank you all sooooo much. I've been taking 40mg of a PPI for at least 10 years. I still have to sometimes take papaya enzyme in the middle of the night because I wake up with a burning throat. Not having GERD would be so amazing! I go back to my gastroenterologist tomorrow for a follow up on an endoscopy I had done in May. I know, a little late ????

@ I went in saying sleeve, sleeve, sleeve! Then I was asked why? I didn't have an answer - LOL! Since I had mild GERD and had been diabetic for 10+ years I was told to read the research and think about it. RNY has been around for 50+ years while sleeve only about 10. I had surgery at mayo where they perform both. What they don't perform anymore is the band as they found it didn't "work". Several of the ladies were having them removed and having RNY. I chose RNY as it was my best chance at getting off my diabetes meds and pantoprazole. It worked 100% and as of the day after my surgery, no more meds - YAY! Best of luck on making the best decision for yourself :D