Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off work? One week? More?

I'm uncertain.

Umbilical & hiatal hernias will be repaired at same surgery.

3-4 weeks ???

I'm almost 6 days post op and there's no way I would be able to go to work tomorrow. I'm exhausted nonstop and my pouch is too sensitive to everything at the moment. So if I eat something wrong or even eat a bite more than I should at the moment, the consequences are terrible. I'm on my feet at both my jobs so I took 2 weeks off.

I only took the day of surgery off. Which was this past Friday October.2 I returned to work on Monday. My sleeve recovery was great I did everything my doctor advices me to do. I walked for 10 minutes every hour from the time I got into my room.

I'm a week out as of today and there is NO WAY i could go back to my job right now. I'm on my feet lifting and moving all day at my job. Right now I can barely walk half an hour without getting dizzy or light headed.

I just had my surgery last Wednesday 9/30. I was an outpatient and went home Thursday. I planned to return to work Monday but still felt pretty tired and exhausted. I did a half day yesterday and was completely worn out by the time I got home. My back was killing me from sitting in my desk chair for 5 hours (even though I got up and walked around periodically). I'm doing a half day the rest of this week then hopefully back to full days next week. I have a desk job too.

PS one reason I'm doing half days this week is just to get enough sleep. The first few days I was having to sleep in a recliner and just couldn't get well rested. I've been in the bed the past two nights but it's still tricky to find your comfortable spot. I've been going to bed around 11pm and waking up around 8 or 9 am so I guess I needed the extra sleep.

I just had my surgery last Wednesday 9/30. I was an outpatient and went home Thursday. I planned to return to work Monday but still felt pretty tired and exhausted. I did a half day yesterday and was completely worn out by the time I got home. My back was killing me from sitting in my desk chair for 5 hours (even though I got up and walked around periodically). I'm doing a half day the rest of this week then hopefully back to full days next week. I have a desk job too.

PS one reason I'm doing half days this week is just to get enough sleep. The first few days I was having to sleep in a recliner and just couldn't get well rested. I've been in the bed the past two nights but it's still tricky to find your comfortable spot. I've been going to bed around 11pm and waking up around 8 or 9 am so I guess I needed the extra sleep.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I just had surgery 8 days ago. I am still having pain and discomfort could work if I had to but it would be rough! But I think my recovery has been slower then others.

My dr only does surgeries on Fridays at this office. I plan to go back the following Monday. Only another receptionist in my same office knows I'm having the surgery. The nurses & medical assistants have no idea. I have talked to one of the doctors that I work for earlier in my process. Hopefully, that will be enough time. I had a "female" surgery in January & was ready to go back after 4 days but, worked in a nursing home so I stayed off 2 weeks because of the lifting & double shifts & went crazy from boredom at home. Hopefully everything goes well.

I'm wondering how long I'll need due to the large umbilical hernia & hiatal hernia he'll be repairing as well.

What does everyone suggest? 3-4 weeks ?

@@Dub I took 2 1/2 weeks and wished I had taken at least 3 (though I did work from home most of that time) and I didn't have the hernia repairs. Remember it is not just pain or exhaustion, it is getting used to your new way of life - sipping, shakes, eating tiny amounts, walking, etc. I have no idea how these people go back after a few days but more power to them or maybe they just don't have a choice. No need to be a hero if you can get the time off. I would plan at least 3 weeks. If you can get 4 without hassle, I would ask for that and you can always go back early if you are feeling up to it.

I have a desk job and I am currently 9 days post op. I will be going back to work on Monday which will be 11 days post op. I have been running errands, shopping and light walking. I feel that I could have gone back at 7 days post op.

I agree that it is very individualized, and you will be able to tell around 5 days post op. I took off 2 weeks, but will go back on Monday.

Now that I have my date in November, I have scheduled about 8 days off after surgery. Being that I do have a desk job, I don't think it would horrible coming back to work after 4-5 days post-op, but based on other input on this forum (thank you), it appears some of the more none work friendly issues are being extra tired and pain discomfort.

My NUT and surgeon both said they recommend at least a week and half if you don't have a job that requires you to lift anything more than 5-10lbs, and 2-3 weeks if you do. but they have known some past patients to back to work as soon as 3-4days post-op.

Wow it seems as everyone has a desk job. I'm a rail operator and I'm just not sure how long I should take off. I have one week of vacation left so I will definitely take that but can't really afford to miss to much time. This part kinda sucks but it will all be worth it in the end!