Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

strange fish question

Tink, I get the impression from reading between the lines of your note that fish has not yet passed your lips. If this is correct, why not have a few fish meals at a restaurant before you run around buying and cooking?

Beyond that, I see others have made so many suggestions for dipping your toes in the Water, so to speak. It seems to me that you might make your first forays with the "meatier, more solid" (my quotation marks) types, e.g., fresh tuna, salmon, swordfish, halibut. Red snapper, too. The simpler the preparation, the better. Baked or broiled with some simple seasoning and wedges of fresh lemon to taste. In the end, though, you'll have to choose yourself. So many suggestions of so many dissimilar varieties will only make you dizzy.

There are countless recipes available online or in books and magazines. An old, excellent, basic book by a late, beloved, revered star/champ that will teach you much so that you'll be able to improvise your own recipes is "The New James Beard Book of Fish Cookery." That's not the exact title, but you'll find it by searching parts of it. It should be available at Amazon, Powells or any of the used-book sites, some of which specialize in cookbooks.

Here's a cool tip: The Canadian theory of fish cookery, which I learned of from Jimmy. It's the work of the Canadian dept. of fisheries or some such. Cooking time is essentially 10 minutes per inch of thickness, but read the book (or search online?). I'd spell it out more clearly for you, but all my cookbooks are packed away and out of reach.

Best wishes as you move ahead.

Laurie

Excellent suggestions!!! Thanks Laurie!!! (although I wasn't the original poster) :-P

-Vanessa

Thank you, too, Vanessa. If my note was any help to you, I'm way ahead of the game.

I noticed that you had surgery not even four weeks ago. You're had an amazing start and I wish you joy and success all the way.

Laurie

Thanks! I'm currently at a stall, but have stopped weighing myself. I'm drinking as much Water as possible and getting in as much Protein as I can. I'm so happy to see inches falling off! I went to target yesterday and found out that I fit in a 2x and not 4x anymore!! The 2x was even a little loose!! That's so much more to me than weight loss!!! I'm getting there!!!

Thanks! I'm currently at a stall, but have stopped weighing myself. I'm drinking as much Water as possible and getting in as much Protein as I can. I'm so happy to see inches falling off! I went to target yesterday and found out that I fit in a 2x and not 4x anymore!! The 2x was even a little loose!! That's so much more to me than weight loss!!! I'm getting there!!!

Is this where I answer you? I can't figure out much of this site's tech stuff. Never mind that. You know that as long as you do the right things, the weight loss will catch up with you. And, as you say, seeing your clothing sizes decrease goes a long way. 'nuf said. I feel guilty about hijacking the fish topic.

Is this where I answer you? I can't figure out much of this site's tech stuff. Never mind that. You know that as long as you do the right things, the weight loss will catch up with you. And, as you say, seeing your clothing sizes decrease goes a long way. 'nuf said. I feel guilty about hijacking the fish topic.

Don't feel bad! Everyone reads your posts and we all learn things from them and yes, you answered in the right spot!! ????

Thanks to everyone for all the great fish suggestions and ways to cook it! So many choices! I really liked someones idea of trying it out at a resteraunt first so I dont waste it. Wish me luck!!

I LOVE fish and seafood - always have! It is also an awesome bariatric food!

I recommend starting with Tilapia, Cod, and Halibut. To me halibut is as good as steak - very firm and delish. Tilapia is very mild and a great place to start and I still enjoy it!

I also adore salmon, but, it pays to be a salmon snob. I only eat wild caught, pacific salmon. Everything else will make you wonder why anyone likes salmon. It is not a "starter fish" because it is strong and rich and oily but oh so good if quality meat well prepared!

As far as recipes... I love allrecipes.com for inspiration.

Tilapia has such a mild flavor, the key is how you prepare it. And don't cook the heck out of it, fish should be flakey, soft, and delightful - never tough and dry. My ex hated "seafood" until I cooked it for him and then he grew to love it. His mom was scared of it and cooked it so long it was awful. I ate several of her meals... and they were all overcooked and awful...haha

Lemme know when you are ready to talk scallops, clams, mussels, shrimp etc. I am here for you! :)

Ok this is a really strange question! I hate fish! ive always been repulsed by any kind of seafood at all! I had the sleeve almost 2 months ago and for some STRANGE reason my body wants fish!! So my questions are... Is this uncommon? not sure why i would even want to try something i dislike so much And does anyone have any suggestions on which fish i should try? probably the least fishy tasting. I dont even know how to cook fish so any recipe ideas would be great too! Thanks!!

@@tink401 I've been on a fish kick for two weeks now, it's healthy if you bake it so why not?! I don't like fishy tasting fish either but I really wanted to eat salmon for its health benefits. I made it a few times and hated it! Finally I asked my seafood guy how he makes it and he said to take the skin off and there is a brown colored steak down the fish, cut that off. I did and man it was like night and day! Now I love it! No more fishy taste!!! I also love Mahi Mahi and orange roughy. They are both mild and not fishy.

My favorite right now is Swai. It is affordable, and barely tastes like fish. It is basically just pure Protein and it tastes like whatever you season it with. It is soft light and flaky, and very moist. I can easily eat between 6 and 7 ounces at a time now. This allows me to get my Protein in for the day without having to use shakes.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/348954-baked-swai-fillet/

I agree with the poster who suggested you get some fish at your local fish market. I also got the most delicious salmon ( Copper River Salmon ) once at our local grocery store meat /fish deli. Melt in your mouth good ! I personally would waste my money trying fish at a restaurant, you don't know how they cook it and if you dont like it you've wasted alot of your money. If you do get fish at costco or anywhere do NOT, under any circumstances, buy "farmed " fish of any kind. This is fish that has been raised in a metal like cage, constantly swimming in Water filled with its own waste. Taste. Beyond. Horrible ! Buy fresh whenever possible, its well worth your time and money ! Good luck !

I have always loved fish. I love making salmon. Its not a huge fishy taste because of what I put in it.I used lemon juice, garlic, onion powder. in the bottom of the pan I use a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and place the lemon juice in it..season each side. and cook for about4-5 min on each side.

Well I I finally did it! I ate fish! And..... I liked it!!:) I still cant beleive I actually liked it but im so glad because its so healthy!! My friend had me over for dinner and cooked me cod. She put salt, pepper and lemon on it and baked it. It didnt taste fishy at all! Im going to stick with cod for a while and then try a different kind. Thanks again for the many suggestions and recipes!!

Well I I finally did it! I ate fish! And..... I liked it!!:) I still cant beleive I actually liked it but im so glad because its so healthy!! My friend had me over for dinner and cooked me cod. She put salt, pepper and lemon on it and baked it. It didnt taste fishy at all! Im going to stick with cod for a while and then try a different kind. Thanks again for the many suggestions and recipes!!

I haven't did it yet! Lol. It's still in the freezer! Maybe tomorrow! I have to get courageous! :D