Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded 11-05

Guest hemmerhead

Estela, I forgot to mention the burping. :) Oh, my! I went on liquids for 3 days prior to surgery but it didn't help the gas for me. I would burp -- big painful burps -- and it would bounce against my band and couldn't get out. OUCH! This happened a lot. After a few days it got better. The nice thing is that all these memories fade and life becomes happy again soon. :)

I wonder what Michelle wonders... did the doctor fill you? The foam coming up sounds like a PB. And I agree with Rebecca to try warm liquids if ice chips don't help. Use a small teaspoon and just take a couple bites. But get to the doctor if you don't keep liquids down because they'll give you an IV to prevent dehydration. One of the girls that had surgery with me ended up getting an IV because she got really sick from dehydration. Call your band surgeon and let him know. But you sound kinda normal since some people get more swollen during surgery than others. It will pass. Be good to yourself, and welcome both of you to Fartland USA! Much luck and love. xox

Thanks to everyone's advice and concern for me. I am feeling better today, but got quite a scare. I visited my doctor on MOnday and he gave me some anti nausea meds but they didn't want to stay down either. So I had a really rough day on Monday, that evening I had to go to the emergency room because I was so thirsty I wanted to dye. My mouth felt so dry and I was concerned that I was having trouble getting in a full breath of air. They gave me IV fluids and some meds for pain and nausea, and yesterday I slept all day, and today, I feel much better. I am not hungry at all, I am really, really thirsty and can't seem to get satisfied with gatorage or juice. I want Water and it seems to not want me. Why is it so hard for Water to stay down? You would think that it wouldn't be. Well at this point I am just kind of discouraged about the whole thing. Kind of wished I hadn't done this anymore. Maybe in a couple of days I will feel better and will know that this was the right thing to do. It is just frustrating. This is not what I expected at all. And I thought I was informed, had done tons of research and come to find out I don't know a thing. I still get this foamy stuff coming up sometimes, but not as bad as Monday. Well maybe I'm healing and will hopefully be able to keep water down. When you have the surgery and don't get adjusted - what is the intake? or can you still eat or drink normal? I am so grateful to have found you all, you are such a blessing for me to have. Thank you so much.

Estela

PS Do you think I should have a doctor check to see If I got a fill and maybe get unfilled? I don't know.

Where were you banded at? I am sorry to hear you are not doing good. Have you tried some popcicles? Some people can't drink ice Water, but I lived on it and I think it actually helped my swelling too. Also maybe some warm tea or warm broth and then some water. If this doesn't stop, you definately need to go back to the doctor that banded you. You definately need to keep liquids in your body. I haven't heard of getting filled when you get banded, but each doctor has there own way of doing things. If he did put some fill in, I would definately have it removed if I was you.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Can you call your doctor and ask him all these questions?

Estela, try to drink warm liquids and see if that goes down better. Some warm sweet tea, broth, etc. The important thing is to get enough fluids down. Avoid dehydration!! If you're thirsty, that's a sign you're getting dehydrated. Mild dehyration will cause loss of appetite, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. Try to calm down and that will also help ease the tension in your esophagus. You are a new bandster, getting over surgery, and do have swelling. It will get better. But really work on your liquids intake. Best of luck to you!

Guest hemmerhead

Estaella I am glad to hear you are feeling a little better. I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the band. I feel guilty now, I have not had any problems to date. I don't have gas, I am not burping, I sometimes wonder if they even put this thing in. I have the five holes J.K.

Question for the bandsters, how long before you don't feel the port. The only discomfort to me is the port incision. I guess its not the incision but the port under the skin. I can feel a tug under the skin where its at. I guess its healing in place. How long before I don't feel the tightness there anymore. I must say, this liquid diet, rather clear liquid diet really blows. On the positive side, I dropped 11 pounds since the surgery. I guess 5 days of drinking only juice and Water will do that. Can't wait for the food stage. Thank You all.

Dan, so glad that you're doing so well! Hang in there, this liquids stage is the hardest part and it's temporary! Your port site will get less painful as time goes on. Better day by day!

Guest hemmerhead

I just cant believe how much weight gets dropped from the liquid diet. It seems like every day I jump on the scale I am 2 pounds lighter. I started at 260 day before surgery, now I am at 247. I have been following the Dr.'s diet to the letter. Only Clear Liquids.< /p>

Hi Estela, I was banded on the 6th and i feel pretty miserable myself. I am just trying to overlook it and keep in mind the day when i can shop in the regular size department and not feel uncomfortable taking my kids to school. I am on liquids as well. I haven't been hungry at all but this morning after dropping of my daughter, I thought what the heck it's liquid, and got a cappacino from the gas station... what a mistake! Sweats came over me so fast and shaking.. i had to pull the car over. Wow.. i guess clear liquids means anything CLEAR.. anyway, good luck and look to brighter days, cause from what i read here, they are coming!

Hello Everyone, just wanted to let you know that I am better, the worst has passed for me, I guess... I have been able to eat, but I am still nervous about what I should and shouldn't eat, so please give me advice on this matter. Also, I found out that I had a 1.5 cc's fill at time of surgery, so I don't know how much food I should limit myself to. I don't want to overeat and get sick. Thanks for all the wonderful advice and I am so happy that I found all of you. And by the way, my husband has been more supportive of me, I sat him down and had a talk with him, made him realize how important this is to me and he understands more, why I had to do this.

Thanks again.