Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded 11-05

Guest hemmerhead

Guest hemmerhead

Well , I finnaly got it over and done with. I have been wanting to do it, and about 3 weeks ago I said what the hell and went for it. I had done a lot of research on the band and had originaly decided to go with Dr. Ponce in T.J. but as I began reading this forum, I heard some deisturbing news about him. I had heard so much good, but I have to say it scared me. so I switched doctors and went on the advise of another member of this forum. I went with Dr. Ortiz, and I don't think I could have gone wrong. they were great, he was awseome and his medical staff and support as well as clinic and hospitsal was great. There were four of us and we were all up and walking in a bout and hour after surgury. I started out at 260 and I will be on liquids for a bout 3 weeks then slowely moving to mussy stuff. I really used this forum to inform myself and you are all a great group of human beings who desrved the best. We all have the same struggle in life and maybe know we can overcome it and feel like a new person. i thank you all for your openess and wilingness to talk to a complete stranger about the intamacies of the procedure from farting all over the place to PB'ing. Thank you all. I will keep you up to date as to my progress. I am so exited. A little hungry but excited.

So they really didn't use "a rusty can lid, river Water, and brick over the head to knock you out". LOL I remember your previous post. So glad to hear that you had a great surgical experience and are officially a "Bandster". Walk as much as you comfortably can and get all your water in. You'll be hopping on here giving others advice in no time! Take Care! P.S. Have you heard men lose weight faster than women? Lucky dog!

Well, that's great news hemmerhead!! I'm really glad you had a great experience. Dr. Ortiz sounds like a spectacular guy all around! Congratulations and welcome to the banded side!!

Hey, me too!!! We were banded on the same day! Sounds like you are doing well. I am glad you made the decision to choose Ortiz. Sounds like your experience with him was very positive. Welcome to bandland!!!

Hi my name is Estela and I had the lap band surgery on Thursday, November 4, 2004. I am from Florida and had the surgery in Rio Grande Mexico by Dr. Ernesto Castellanos. I just got back yesterday but I am feeling very depressed. Funny thing is that I am not hungry, I am really thirsty but can't seem to get enough to drink. It seems that at the first sip I feel very uncomfortable and can't drink any more. I called Dr. Castellanos and he suggested cold fluids or cold icecream, but it isn't helping. I am soooo thirsty, this foamy stuff keeps coming up and I feel like I have a huge burp coming up that just won't come up. Did you experience any similar problems? Do you have any helpful advice, I am only four days into this and can't help but wonder if I did the wrong thing. I don't have much support in my husband, in fact he is kind of pissed at me, he says I shouldn't complain about the discomfort that this is what I choose and that I should deal with it. I feel so terrible.

Thanks for listening.

Estella, It's a common thing what your experiencing. The burping (gas from surgery) the foam (seems to be a band thing).

I'm sorry about your hubby not supporting you. Thats unfortunate to say the least. You'll find lots of support here. There are lots of nice people here and they have lots of experience to share.

I would suggest for you to put a search on burping and gas and see what comes up. The search link is at the top of page on the bar with all the other links.

Good luck and best wishes to you.

Guest hemmerhead

Estella, Get ice chips suck the crap out of them. They will help the thirst. I fortunatly have no problems drinking liquids. i am however hungry. Suck on ice chips and pipsicles until you are able to tolerate the liquids, just remember you have to stay hydrated. If you can take very small sips of Water or better yet my doctor said gatorade or chicken broth. Warm broth only. clear liquid. I am sorry you are having so much discomfort. I too feel the never endless burp but from what I hear, it will pass with time. Good luck. We can compare notes since we had the procedure done at the same time. Oh, yeah, La_madam told me that you will feel a pain in your left side soon and that it is normal. Also if you havent yet experienced it yet, your shoulders especially your left one will hurt occasionally from the gas buildup. Also your belly will be extended due to the gas they pump into you during the procudure. A little heads up. Write me anytime and we can compare notes and ouches. hemmerhead@gmail.com Best of luck to You. Dan

Dan and Estela, welcome to Bandland! The first week is the hardest. You'll be feeling better in a day or two.

There are lots of November bandsters around, including a number of people getting surgery later in the month: Congratulations to all of you!

Hey Dan Congratulations!!!

Nice talking with you this morning..

So glad to hear everything went well for you. Dr. Ortiz is a wonderful experienced band surgeon there is no doubt about it!

Thank you so much for replying to my call out for help.. I am feeling so miserable, I have made an appointment with my family doctor because I am concerned about my inablility to keep any fluids in me. I keep burping up this foam, I don't want to get sick and not be able to take care of my children. I have been questioning all day, whether the need for me to be a normal sized person is worth me risking getting ill and not being around to care for my kids. I appreciate your concerns in writing to me. I will keep checking for other useful advice from you. If you have any additional advice please don't hesitate to share it with me. God bless and I hope I can get to feeling better.

EStela

Guest Kelly W

good luck with your recovery

Estella, the foam stuff coming up would concern me..the foamy stuff is usually a sign of being filled to tight but you have had no fill yet right? You just had surgery. Does your Dr. do a fill also at the time of surgery? I'm glad to hear you are going to see your Dr. ..you do not want to get dehydrated. I hope you start feeling better soon..it could also be just from the swelling

P.S. Im so sorry to hear that your husband is not supportive. I do not know what I would do without my husbands suport. He is what makes it so much easier for me. His support has helped me to get to where Iam. So much for the sickness and health vow he took with you huh?

Dan, congratulations and welcome. :)

Estela, have you tried warm liquids and little sips? It sound like you are quite swollen and tight. It WILL get better. In the meantime, call your surgeon and tell him how much trouble you are having. If he doesn't take you seriously, call him AGAIN. Keep track of how much liquid you can get in and tell him. Hope things get better soon.