Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what kind of "i didnt know" food events have you had?

So basically i called an "i didnt know" about food, when you realize something you never realized about a food or product. For example, i was looking at a "lite" Salad Dressing this weekend, and the "lite" version had 6 times as much sugar in it as the "regular" version did??

This is one of those events, those things that rally make you think about how things are labelled or how they are represented to us.

WHat kinds of these events have you discovered?

I used to read all the ingredients etc but in my old age I figured something out that applies to MOST products. If it has alot of carbs it has alot of fillers (I am not applying this to obvious carb sources like bread and Pasta, I am talking about prepared food). So, if I am seeking something as my "protein" in a meal i look at having AT LEAST 10g of Protein per 100 calories and it should have very few carbs. So, costco has some high quality turkey and chicken based sausages that have minimal crappy filler and are moderate calorie, high Protein, low carb. That was alot easier then trying to "decode" the ingredient list.

Different Protein amounts by brand of yogurt.

Just gave up on almost all processed food, now I just have go to protein and simple raw veggies

My sleeve rebels against raised dough

So basically i called an "i didnt know" about food, when you realize something you never realized about a food or product. For example, i was looking at a "lite" salad dressing this weekend, and the "lite" version had 6 times as much sugar in it as the "regular" version did??

This is one of those events, those things that rally make you think about how things are labelled or how they are represented to us.

WHat kinds of these events have you discovered?

One of the reasons why I stopped buying bottle dressings and diet food in general. They often up the fat or sugar to make them. If they don't do that then it's all man made chemicals. I'd rather eat smaller amounts of the real thing or avoid it altogether. I learned this with trying to get my allergies under control way before WLS.

That unsweetened applesauce is no "sugar free" ????

There is hydrogenated fat in the fat free refried Beans

Honestly that full fat cheeses are better for you in the long run. They are good Protein and keep you fuller longer.

I do not bother with lite cheese, mayo or sour cream. I hardly ever use mayo as there are no sandwiches in this girls life any longer so no real need for mayo but if I do, I will go full fat.

One thing I learned a long time ago was to look at fat, salt and sugar in packaged foods. When they reduce or eliminate one of these items, they have to increase the other two to compensate for taste.

Low fat usually means higher salt and/or sugar;

Low sugar usually means higher salt and/or fat( and

Low sodium usually means higher fat and/or sugar.

Also, high fructose corn Syrup is in everything.

Honestly that full fat cheeses are better for you in the long run. They are good Protein and keep you fuller longer.

I do not bother with lite cheese, mayo or sour cream. I hardly ever use mayo as there are no sandwiches in this girls life any longer so no real need for mayo but if I do, I will go full fat.

I do half plain greek yogurt & half real mayo, or use avocado instead.

This is not about a specific food or type of foods, but under the heading " I didn't know " I would put " I didn't know how little healthy food I could eat and still stay healthy. " When I look back on the amounts of food I used to eat, even normal sized portions, I just can't believe it !

Sugar alcohols = diarrhea lol sometimes I'll eat a couple sugar free candies or an Atkins bar to keep me regular. I made the mistake of getting excited about sf Chico sticks and ate too many. I had diarrhea for 2 days.

Sugar alcohols = diarrhea lol sometimes I'll eat a couple sugar free candies or an Atkins bar to keep me regular. I made the mistake of getting excited about sf Chico sticks and ate too many. I had diarrhea for 2 days.

WARNING !!! Yes, unfortunately alot of people don't realize that "sugar free " usually means a sugar substitute of some kind, like Splenda, Erythritol, Maltitol, etc. I found out that for alot of people any artifical sweetner that ends in the letters TOL is going to give you very fast acting diarrhea ! Don't find out the hard way !! Try reading "How artifical sweetners confuse your body into storing fat ." - articles.mercola, com

This is not about a specific food or type of foods, but under the heading " I didn't know " I would put " I didn't know how little healthy food I could eat and still stay healthy. " When I look back on the amounts of food I used to eat, even normal sized portions, I just can't believe it !

I agree! Yesterday I deboned one baked chicken breast and it had 4 ounces of Protein. I was about to eat 2.5 ounces. As I was putting the rest away I had one of those "good Lord" moments and I realized.... I used to eat 3-4 pieces of chicken in one setting!! Amazing how much food I used to consume. No wonder we never had to worry about getting enough protein.

Edited by maggie409