Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Liquid Diet Issues

So my surgery is scheduled for October 1st, and my surgeon put me on a 2-week liquid diet starting this past Friday. I'm suppose to drink 3-5 Bariatric Advantage shakes a day and drink 72-96 ounces of Water. I made it through Friday fine but by Friday night I was having uncontrollable diarrhea to the point where I barely slept and had 2 accidents in the middle of the night. Saturday and Sunday I was travelling and in long meeting both days, so I did not follow the liquid diet... but did eat healthy (lean Protein, salads, veggies, etc.) I'm back on the liquid diet today and have only managed to drink one of my shakes because they completely disgust me. The smell of the powder by itself makes me want to throw up. I'm at the point where I'd rather not eat anything than drink another shake. Two questions:

1. Anyone know of anything I can do to get rid of the diarrhea, or will it simply go away after a few days? I'm choke down the shakes if I have to, but the thought of spending two weeks in the bathroom makes it harder to drink.

2. Is 96 ounces of water a hard upper limit? Is there any reason to limit the amount of water I drink right now?

I would immediately call the surgeons office and let them know what is going on. They definately don't want you to have diarrhea as it dehydrates you. They also don't want you to skip meals nor do they want you to cheat as you won't get the same liver shrinkage as expected.

Also if you literally cant get the shakes down ask if you can switch to a different solution. Premier Protein ready made shakes are excellent non gritty and non stinky. They have 30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar and only 160 calories. Post surgery it is one of the go to protein solutions because of its high protein and low sugar. They have chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. In my opinion, chocolate is the best. The other two seem sweet to me but I started them post surgery and everything tastes rather sweet.

You can get them at Sam's and costco in 18 packs.

Good luck on your liquid diet. You can do this you just need the right solution. Give them a call asap.

5 shakes plus 72 oz of Water is too much in my opinion. shakes count as liquid intake so you are drinking a lot!

As for myself, I only had 3 Protein shakes a day and liquid when I felt like it.

What is the reason for limiting Water intake during the pre-op diet? If they are worried about dehydration, shouldn't I drink as much as I can?

I'm currently making my shakes with almond milk as I found it tasted marginally better than with Water.< /p>

5 shakes plus 72 oz of water is too much in my opinion. Shakes count as liquid intake so you are drinking a lot!

As for myself, I only had 3 Protein shakes a day and liquid when I felt like it.

Thanks for the advice and support, I will give them a call and see what they say.

I would immediately call the surgeons office and let them know what is going on.

Good luck on your liquid diet. You can do this you just need the right solution. Give them a call asap.

Good luck blue.

Update:

I was told that some diarrhea is normal the first few days. I've continued with the shakes... usually only 3 per day (2 with almond milk, one with skim.) I also do Clear liquids, mostly Water but also a morning black coffee and sometimes 8 - 16 ounces of Powerade zero in the evening. I also have had an 8 ounce chicken broth the past two nights. I still don't like the taste of the Bariatric Advantage Protein shake, but have found the faster I drink it (when it is cold) the more palatable it is. I also stopped making shakes in my blendtech blender as I found the frothy consistency made it taste worse... just using the shaker they gave me when I bought the powder. I have not had diarrhea since Monday night... in fact nothing at all has gone on down there since then, so I might be having the reverse problem.

Glad to hear things improved for you, as I've had the same problem (currently on day 3). I imagine the lack of activity is normal due to the severity of the diarrhea and not currently eating any solid food.

thanks for your reply on my thread.

Update on me: day 12 now I think. After some pretty severe diarrhea the first couple days, I am having the other problem! I've gone once, only a tiny bit, in the last 9 days. I don't *feel* constipated but suspect it's why I haven't seen the scale move recently. I lost about 6 lbs in the first 5 days, then nothing since. I've been tracking my Protein and calories in MFP and have been on target most days, with a few days about 100 cal under. In the last week I've taken stool softeners multiple times, drank Smooth Move tea twice and taken my magnesium tablets at bedtime, which used to do the trick when I was on a low carb diet. Nothing! I've just taken some mag citrate to see what happens.

Will be so glad to get to surgery day!

How is your Constipation now? Did your surgeon agree with your taking all that BM medicine? Keep us informed and we are thinking of you.

I just started pre-op diet today and agree the Bariatric Advantage shakes taste horrible. Only could get down one of the 2 cups today because it's nauseating!

Hope things are going better for you!!!

I just started pre-op diet today and agree the Bariatric Advantage shakes taste horrible. Only could get down one of the 2 cups today because it's nauseating!

Hope things are going better for you!!!

Thanks Natalieg1962. Your post woke me up. I have a three week pre-op diet starting end of November. I found a site I could get samples of various Protein Shakes that were on the prescribed approved list. Sounds like I'd better start tasting them and figure this out! I've had the samples 5days now and have put it off. I know I like the Premier Protein from costco, but three weeks of three or four a day -I'd like more variety, (not just taste, but thickness and even hot vrs cold) and to mix the benefiber right in there at the start. Previous experience has told me I will have a lot of problems if I don't get more Fiber with the Protein shakes.

One thing I have tried for more variety without having to buy a lot of different shakes, is to add a small amount of the powder for making sugar-free Jello, to my vanilla Protein Powder. Lime and strawberry have both been very good so far, and there are several other sf flavors to try.