Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to eat everything

My surgery will be early December and I feel like eating everything I want to because I won't be able too later. Does anyone else have this struggle if so what are you doing to deal!!! I'm not being completely bad I am working on better habits it's just a real struggle.

Edited by cookies_queen

I made a list of restaurants and foods I want to eat before surgery that I know I can't indulge in afterwards. Then I use each one like a reward. If I make good choices for the week or lose a few pounds I get one thing off of my list. Then right before surgery I am having friends and family over for a "last meal" of some of my favorites about 3 weeks before surgery.

I read a lot of people have those "food funerals". I didn't do it before my surgery but if you will feel better then do what you need to. I have found that I don't even want those things after surgery so I really, honestly don't miss them.

It isn't that you can't have everything you did before but most of the time healthy Protein first means you get full and won't be able to. Since I am losing weight I am okay with that!

Good luck to you and enjoy your restaurant hopping!!

My doc really pounded it into my head that a surgery date isn't license to eat; learning to eat high protein/low carb, smaller portions and chewing is important, but mostly we need to cut the carbs and sugar to reduce the size of our fatty livers before surgery (as much as we can) so the surgery will be easier. I even see some countries/docs having their people on high Protein eating plans as much as 3-6 months out and liquids 3-6 weeks out. Yikes!

My doc really pounded it into my head that a surgery date isn't license to eat; learning to eat high protein/low carb, smaller portions and chewing is important, but mostly we need to cut the carbs and sugar to reduce the size of our fatty livers before surgery (as much as we can) so the surgery will be easier. I even see some countries/docs having their people on high Protein eating plans as much as 3-6 months out and liquids 3-6 weeks out. Yikes!

You are so right about that High protein/low carb supervised diet. That is what my Dr put me on. However I have had a few things I have been craving that I know I shouldn't have. I usually have it a day or two after I see the Dr and then buckle down again to lose more weight. So far since June 17 I have lost 20 pounds on the supervised diet. He is pleased with what I have lost so far. Next Monday will be my 4th visit with him.

If you don't go crazy with the foods you crave you should be ok.

I appreciate the feedback.. Funny thing is I have basically 10 weeks till surgery and I started to make my list of 10 cheat meals and only came up with 2! It may not be as hard as I thought.

"I want to eat everything"

-Then I guess you never tried my wife's cooking.

Ba-dum-tish (rimshot sound)

Just kidding. :)

A surgeon telling you not to have a last supper tour, food funerals, or whatever other fancy names we have for this phenomenon is like telling you not to breathe. It is natural, and you will do it, especially if you are given a longer pre-op. I had only two weeks of pre-op so it was fairly easy not to go nuts during just those two weeks (although I was ravenously hungry throughout them). You could not have asked me to do that for a period of months. I would start to get used to post-op eating rules, but I don't think that's inconsistent with not saying some good-byes.

To hit this to another field, I can tell you that I am six and a half weeks post-op, and there is nothing I have tried, other than things with extremely high Fiber content, that I can't have a little share of. I haven't tried fast food, nor do I want to, but I have had at least a burger, a hot dog, and french fries at least once, in fist size portions with no bread. You and food are not over. Rather, you and food are just beginning. You will be trying things you never thought to try because of your love of the old faves. They will still be there, and your sleeve will tell you when it is time to put it in the fridge or give it to someone else. If you will truly miss the portion sizes as an essential part of the experience, I would say yes, this is the end of that, and you should enjoy that one last time. I am not quite up to any kind of bread or Pasta, but the way things are going those will come back, and I am counting on the restriction to tell me when to stop. I am still losing weight very rapidly, so until that stops, I will just let the sleeve do the talking, but it is imperative to listen, otherwise there is no point in the surgery.

"I want to eat everything"

-Then I guess you never tried my wife's cooking.

Ba-dum-tish (rimshot sound)

Just kidding. :)

Dyin' laughing! Good one! ????????????

Well I'm currently waiting on my second approval and since I'm positive everything will work out, and surgery will be in the next month or so with a two week diet , yessss I want to eat all my favorite foods not to mention I just stop smoking. Shockingly enough I haven't gain weight.

Down two pounds since last week and I had my cheat meal of chipotle. I'm very happy about that! Cutting out all the Snacks is sooo hard. I'm motivated and can't wait for surgery. Trying to decide what my cheat meal should be this weekend!!!!!

I was supposed to be sleeved last week (delay due to ulcers) - so 2 weeks before that, I had to start my liquid diet. Went to Cheesecake Factory the night before. After I found out my surgery would be delayed, I decided to continue with eating light meals. I felt pretty good on the liquid diet, so I didn't want to sabotage myself and eat like crazy. It would just be more weight I'd have to lose again. I'm delayed probably 6-8 weeks, but I've successfully kept off the 5 lbs I lost on the liquid diet for 10 days now. I didn't go back to Pepsi. That's one of my biggest addictions. But I'm now 3 weeks Pepsi-free! We ordered Chinese in last night and I got steamed chicken with snow peas. No sauce. I tend to feel guilty indulging (I had a mini Peppermint Patty one night after work and was disgusted with myself because it certainly wasn't worth those calories!!) I'm trying to train myself pre-surgery and hoping that post-surgery I won't miss my "favorites".

If you can "cheat" in moderation - or "cheat sensibly" - if there is a such thing....

My surgery is in 2 weeks. I just started the all liquid diet today. I ate and ate and ate until my nutrition class on Sept 4th. I felt at that point, I had to change it. My birthday being Sept 7th, I had pizza....then on Sept 8th, I started the first phase of the diet. At first it wasn't easy and I really want to cheat, but now I think it has become a habit to me to not eat fast food or soda. It seems to get easier every day. I say, don't beat yourself up if you have Chipotle...you have a few weeks to get into that habit and I am sure it will happen. I really don't miss my fast food or soda much at all anymore. Good luck!

Edited by ShellyGalliherReno