Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need mentor, I'm pretty freaked and uncertain

I would be happy to help. I thought giving up my favorite foods would be hard too. I have found what used to be my favorite is simply no longer true.

It is not as hard as you think and the trade off is so worth it. Also very occasionally I am still able to eat some of the things I once did, I just find that food doesn't matter as much any more.

Do you have some specific questions? I will add you as a friend and we can talk that way as well.

Don't think of it as giving up your favorite food look at is a gaining a new life. New experiences, better health, exciting conquests and you'll look amazing!

Your favorite foods are just comforts they are not necessities. They can easily be replaced with healthier options that don't taste any worse. You like cheeseburgers? You can have a turkey burger without all the bread, wrap it in lettuce, put on your favorite low-fat Condiments and yum, yum. You want tacos? Take ground turkey, cook it up like you would ground beef and have a taco salad without the tortilla. And there really are a plethora of foods you can have in moderation that you don't have to give up after surgery.

The first month will fly by, then the second and by the third you will have adjusted to a new way of life. And all those burdens of being overweight will melt away. You won't need food to comfort you, you'll have a whole new set of adventures to keep you busy!

Hello @@Jamison Long -

I had my RNY 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I was worried about losing foods I really liked too. The last couple weeks before I started my pre-op diet, I ate a fair amount of bad foods for this very reason, kind of a last hurrah. After all my hard for for almost a year before my surgery, I realized as I was eating the crappy foods for the (hopefully) last time that these foods don't REALLY make us feel better. In fact, they make us feel worse, they literally poison us, and rarely do we feel good about ourselves afterward, so they also harm us emotionally as well. These understandings alone made it easier and less scary. Imagine if a meth addict had the chance to have a surgery that would greatly reduce or eliminate his addiction, and heal his body from the years of doing toxic drugs. That's us; we have a new lease on life, a blank slate, and while that may seem scary because we've spent so long addicted to food, and usually bad food, it's actually a wonderful gift!

Hang in there, it will get better. I'm going to friend you, and you can message me to talk anytime you want. :) Good luck!

Thank you all, is it possible to occasionally eat certain foods in small amounts? Like say occasionally a baby ice cream cone??? That's my fave comfort food. Also as part of my main hobby I cook a steam ship round to feed 100 people, and when cutting tend to nibble the best parts. I would like to know life won't be so altered that things I consider a privilege I won't loose all-together.... I look forward to discussing all this with you all.

Hi Jamison,

I had my bypass in March 2014 and I can honestly say I haven't really missed anything. If you stick to your eating plans the foods you craved will be a think of the past and much harder to eat in the future. Now, I'm not gonna lie, I do love a Reese's cup so I will occasionally have a mini one but it was a long time before I allowed myself one. I needed to make sure that I had my eating and will power under control first. But all of the carbs, soda and other things I don't miss, you just learn to eat different. It really is a blessing that carbs make me sick now and trust me, I have tried to eat them and it doesn't take but a couple of times and you learn your lesson. Things that you never considered eating before may end up on the dinner menu. It's funny but salsa became my best friend!

Good Luck!