Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Staples Are in Your Pantry?

@@JosieAppleHead .. your post is the first I have seen that has sweet potato in it. B) I love it! I haven't tried the almod milk with coconut yet, I'll have to try it

I keep a good supply of spices and seasonings. Tumeric, garlic powder and cayenne are my most used spices. I also MUST have at least one bottle of Sriracha sauce at all times. I either make or buy a jar of garlic paste. Lemon and lime juice are good for adding a touch of brightness to foods. Condiment wise I keep regular mayo, but actually prefer the Just Mayo, pickles, salsa, red chili sauce, Braggs apple cider vinegar, good olive oil and coconut oil. I also have red quinoa, organic black Beans, rolled oats, flax powder and TVP at the ready. In the fridge I always have eggs, finely shredded cheese, FAGE 0% Greek yogurt. I also keep a few cans of Progresso Soups on hand for when I am too lay to make my own. In the freezer, I keep frozen spinach. I wait for Acme's 10 for $10 sales and stock up. Perfect for adding to Soups or tossing in a Protein drink. I try to eat as cleanly as possible so I don't buy foods containing red dyes, artificial sugars. Stevia is an allergy trigger so I don't buy anything that contains that. I keep processed foods at the bare minimum. I don't buy any diet foods at all. I'd rather do without or eat less of something than eat a bunch of man made chemicals.

I try to cook from scratch and do a weekly food prep on Sunday's.

@@JosieAppleHead .. your post is the first I have seen that has sweet potato in it. B) I love it! I haven't tried the almod milk with coconut yet, I'll have to try it

My last Nut appointment I was reminded that I am not on a Atkins diet and that I NEED healthy carbs. So reluctantly and happily I googled healthy carbs and eat them. Sweet potato's is on the list as a healthy carb in small portion.

In my pantry I have canned tuna, canned white meat chicken, good quality beef and chicken stocks for cooking, beef jerkey, pistachios, mixed nuts, oatmeal, cream of wheat (not the instant kind), good quality jarred marinara, lots of spices, balsamic, rice wine vinegar, almond flour to use for breading chicken or fish, lots of parmesean cheese also used for breading and to top salads, Peanut Butter and honey crisp apples, real butter, skim milk and lots of premier Protein shakes.

Also in the beginning I had unsweetened applesauce and small cans of fruit with no sugar like peaches and pears. Now that I can eat fresh fruit I usually go that route.

I removed all processed foods from my household. In the beginning I removed all rice, Pasta, and all other starches.

Recently I have added back in rice, high Protein Pasta, polenta but I eat it rarely and literally a spoonful or two.

In my fridge I always have full fat cheeses, lunch meats, good quality hot dogs, 2 to 3 containers of 1 percent cottage cheese, pudding, mayo, mustards, salad dressings, fresh mozerella (I eat a lot of caprese salad), fresh tomatoes, carrots, celery, fresh herbs, lettuce, different variety show of onions, garlic, sweet potato, zucchini, green peppers, bacon.

Tons of frozen vegetables. I don't buy the ones with sauces or seasonings, I do that myself.

I buy my meats fresh and cook them fresh but will freeze some ground beef so I have it on hand. I also buy shrimp and cook them up for a snack on occasion.

I buy no canned Soups I make them all from scratch and freeze them. That way I know there isn't junk in them.

In my pantry I have canned tuna, canned white meat chicken, good quality beef and chicken stocks for cooking, beef jerkey, pistachios, mixed nuts, oatmeal, cream of wheat (not the instant kind), good quality jarred marinara, lots of spices, balsamic, rice wine vinegar, almond flour to use for breading chicken or fish, lots of parmesean cheese also used for breading and to top salads, Peanut Butter and honey crisp apples, real butter, skim milk and lots of premier Protein shakes.

Also in the beginning I had unsweetened applesauce and small cans of fruit with no sugar like peaches and pears. Now that I can eat fresh fruit I usually go that route.

I removed all processed foods from my household. In the beginning I removed all rice, Pasta, and all other starches.

Recently I have added back in rice, high Protein Pasta, polenta but I eat it rarely and literally a spoonful or two.

In my fridge I always have full fat cheeses, lunch meats, good quality hot dogs, 2 to 3 containers of 1 percent cottage cheese, pudding, mayo, mustards, salad dressings, fresh mozerella (I eat a lot of caprese salad), fresh tomatoes, carrots, celery, fresh herbs, lettuce, different variety show of onions, garlic, sweet potato, zucchini, green peppers, bacon.

Tons of frozen vegetables. I don't buy the ones with sauces or seasonings, I do that myself.

I buy my meats fresh and cook them fresh but will freeze some ground beef so I have it on hand. I also buy shrimp and cook them up for a snack on occasion.

I buy no canned Soups I make them all from scratch and freeze them. That way I know there isn't junk in them.

Thank you for such a comprehensive list! I know it will be awhile before I will be able to eat most of this, but I'm making a list of everyone's suggestions and I'm going to go from that!

You guys are the best!! I'm so glad I found this forum. You all have reinforced my decision to pursue WLS. I have learned so much.

@@Sophie74656 I love corned beef hash but have never had it canned. Is it any good?

We pretty much got rid of anything made in a factory.

I have very little prepackaged foods, some canned veggies I'm getting rid of; mac & cheese I had for my granddaughter..... I do have rice, couscous, quiona, tri color Pasta, and some reg Pasta. I also have regular oatmeal. Which ones of these should I hold on to?

I would hold on to all of it since you haven't had surgery yet and don't know what you'll be able to tolerate afterwards. Like you said, you can't afford to waste food. As far as staples ? chicken thighs, tuna, steak, salmon, frozen meatballs, Bruce Aidells chicken apple sausage, occasionally a store bought roast chicken. Brown rice , potatoes. I dislike cooked veggies but like some raw like baby carrots, celery, cauliflower. salad in a bag. fruit ! Watermelon, apples, strawberries. Turkey jerkey, Wheat Thins with PB, Weight Watchers ice cream. A few Protein drinks, Gatorade2, 2 % milk.

@@Sophie74656 I love corned beef hash but have never had it canned. Is it any good?

It's probably not as good as something home made, and it kind of looks like dog food, but I think it's really good and it's very soft

Everything in the pantry is still the same as my family foods are the same.

I just have added a shelf that is for my stuff....protein powders, permissible Chike iced coffee Protein powder (so tasty that I can't let anyone else in the house know how good it tastes as it's too expensive....will be my own indulgence), Water additives, various bariatric supplements.

I share my Flinstones chewable with everyone, though. :P

The only spare stuff I keep is for fixing things for others. I try to keep packaged/processed food out of the house. The only changes to that are herbs I don't grow. Otherwise, lots of fresh foods.

tuna, chicken, fat free low sodium broth for adding flavor to veggies, light string cheese, veggies, frozen veggies, Tomato sauces - low sugar/fat free, balsamic vinegar, low fat cottage cheese, turkey breast, fat free refried Beans, black beans, green beans, Premier Protein, just your basic stuff...

After reading these replies. I have started going thru my cupboards and I realize that I don't really have too many things to give away. Most of the food there are good foods ;)

I did my best to clear out as many processed food items as possible. I do keep canned tuna/chicken on hand as well as a few cans of tomatoes/canned sauce to use in a bind. I buy almonds weekly as a snack. In the fridge, I keep string cheese and some cottage cheese/yogurt for Snacks. I buy a large container and split into my own portions to save money.We try to by fresh fruit/veggies weekly and try our best to eat what is in season to save $$. I use frozen veggies for smoothies if I cant afford fresh. I use frozen spinach a lot also. I use a Protein Powder and make all kinds of smoothies . Try to avoid all breads and refined sugars. No chips or crackers because they trigger me to eat more. I like to roll up deli meat/thin slices of provolone as a cheap " go- to " lunch.< /p>

Everyone is so helpful!

I have been copy & pasting the posts in an email to myself so I can compile a list of foods and ideas. I have also been looking over everyone's posts for additional info from those who are post op. I need to visually see things and having the words of wisdom are helping already!

You guys are the best! I love this site and forums!!

No staples in my pantry yet, but plenty in my stomach.

If the joke was already made, sorry, I didn't read all the way through