Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you deal with hair loss?

MzB

I know this has been discussed before, but most of it seems to be on assurance that our hair will grow back. I am more interested in what you did while it was coming out (besides panic as we all do ????).

I already had thinning hair on top so as soon as I realized mine was starting to come out (@ 3 1/2 months) I went down to a local wig shop to discuss toppers. I was really surprised, the topper the stylist helped me pick a great one made of human hair. I then took it to my personal stylist and she matched it to my hair. So far it has been awesome and unless I tell someone they can't tell I am wearing it. I just hope my Hair loss doesn't get to the point where the topper isn't enough. I am going to try to post a pic so you can see how my hair looks with the piece on. Feel free to comment. ????

Has anyone else elected to go with a wig, extensions, topper? If so, what did you do and how did it go?

I generally get the impression that a lot of gals just elect to go with a shorter hair cut. I am curious how many chose this route?

Sorry, couldn't get photo to load before. post-250678-14427054758209_thumb.jpg post-250678-14427054885182_thumb.jpg

Looks great!

Well first I started with extensions and then I got sick of them so I cut it off! Best decision..ever! Oh and that's not a "DR's stethoscope" I actually use that!! Ha!!

post-237766-0-54441300-1442707004_thumb.jpg

post-237766-0-86097500-1442707027_thumb.jpg

I already cut my hair because it was falling out from steroids due to my back injury. I'm afraid of what I'll do when this happens due to WLS. Maybe I will get a wig or something. Was it expensive?

I've got bra strap length dredlocks. So far the loss is mostly at my temples in the front. I've been doing scarves, side parts and pin up styles. Hides it pretty well.

I simply cut it short and will keep it that way until my thickness comes back. I lost about 2/3 of my hair and am nearly 12 months post op. Mine is still coming out more than it should but it has slowed down some.

I take Biotin every day.

:( hasn't happened to me YET. I spose it's going to? I'm almost 5 weeks out.

Hi Mary,

I've heard all sorts of theories for why restriction changes, and weather is certainly one of them. One person mentioned being tighter in the desert, while another talked about the changes in restriction as she traveled from sea level to a mountain. It's rampant!

My theory is that it's not the band changing at all...it's you. Our bodies are something like 70% Water and what's not Water is soft, mostly. Our internal organs are probably always shifting slightly in size, thickness, position, whatever depending on how our bodies react to stimuli, like hormones, atmospheric pressure, whether our team wins the Super Bowl.

mine started month 4

Sorry @@Veronica_mm

I chopped mine off. I started with baby fine hair and now it's baby fine THIN hair. Worst combination ever.

My new growth is still coming in. I want a topper sooooo badly but a good one is out of my price range.

Here's a picture from over five years ago vs yesterday. You can kind of see my scalp now. Sometimes I use Toppik to fill it in but I didn't use any in this picture.

post-233184-14427187659937_thumb.jpg

:( hasn't happened to me YET. I spose it's going to? I'm almost 5 weeks out.

It fell out for me starting around 3-4 months after surgery. It finally stopped falling out at 6 months.

Mine was already pretty short, and I had it cut even shorter - think "Ellen DeGeneres" hair. I bought a couple of turbans and bandana scarves like chemotherapy patients use. I was prepared to buy a wig if I had to, but I never did lose any hair. My two year anniversary will be here in December and my hair almost touches my shoulders. It really likes all this Protein and is very soft and happy.