Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unprepared

I am generally always prepared. However, yesterday I found myself leaving in a rush and unprepared for the busy day that was ahead. Usually if I have a hectic day, I pack a cooler with Water, Protein drink, and healthy Snacks.

I had a crazy busy day at work and then my son had a football game that was 2 hours from home. We live in a very rural area and it is not unusual to have NO options late at night.

This is my question. If you find yourself in a situation where there is nothing healthy to eat, is it better to do without completely or is it better to cave and eat unhealthy? I chose to do without and ended up with only 400 calories for the day and not enough Protein. So which is the healthier option? No calories or no junk?

I will say before everyone responds, I KNOW I should plan ahead. Normally I do. So I don't need to hear. Always keep a snack, plan better, etc.

So do without or eat unhealthy? Which is better? That is the question

That is when I would get the least damaging sandwich and throw away the bun. Gas stations usually have Jerky or nuts or some kind of Protein bar. If the team has pizza, just eat your way around the crust. You gotta eat something, so just make the best of it and don't feel bad. I have been in jam a couple of times and got Wendy's chili.

I usually got for the wake up wrap from dunkin donuts and peel away half the tortilla. Most drugstores carry Protein drinks of some sort. I buy the one with the least amount of sugar and get a cup with loads of ice. I also keep Protein Bars and single serving packs of nuts in my glove compartment for this very reason.

I definitely need to get some packaged nuts and put in my glove box. I try not to eat you many but that would be a better option than concession stand food. I live in Texas so very few things will survive a day in a hot Texas car. But nuts would be ok.

I will do without. Everyone is different. Once I get home I can get something, so I'm not really doing without, I'm just moving it to a later time. I can pay for that as even liquids at night and my reflux, just do not work well together.

I cannot do without, I end up with low blood sugar if I do that. I would pick up something like nuts, jerkey and a carton of milk from the gas station.

Or even cheese would be fine.

Mm mm sargento low fat string cheese. I keep it in my work fridge and some Jerky in my desk.

I'm still pre op though. I'm doing this eat 4 ounces every 3 hour diet my doctor has me on.

Edited by Tssiemer1

I cannot do without, I end up with low blood sugar if I do that. I would pick up something like nuts, jerkey and a carton of milk from the gas station.

Or even cheese would be fine.

Agreed. I once had a really crazy day. I didn't get home until close to midnight and then I just wanted to fall in the bed. Thankfully I like in a city where places are open 24 hours. I ran in Walgreens and got a cheese stick and a Protein Drink. My calories were still really low and I missed my Protein goal, but it would have been much worse and I likely would have gotten sick. Sometimes going without is not an option. Nuts, Protein Bars that don't melt, cheese crackers, Jerky or anything that can survive in the heat are perfect emergency glove compartment stashes.

I would eat. Because I can't eat very much I generally can't make it more than six hours without getting so weak and tired I can't function. As long as it doesn't become a common or routine excuse you should be fine going off plan once in a while when you forgot to plan ahead.

Good post! I was in this predicament the other day about 5 weeks out. I had been so thoughtful about planning and then for one day I got too busy at work and didn't eat much. It hasn't happened again, but it was a good wake up call!

Those tuna packs you can get now would be fine in a glove box also. I think I'm actually going to get a small rubbermaid container to keep in my car with emergency food that is safe post-op. In the back where I wouldn't just routinely snack on it (breaking that habit) but there in case of emergency.

I've grabbed a small Wendy's Chili. You can order just a grilled chicken breast only from Sonic and that's what they bring. Lunchables and Protein Shakes from convenience stores. I too have forgotten my lunch on occasion. I'm not able to due beef Jerky or nuts yet but I think those will be great when I can!

On days like this. I'll hit a 711 or Walgreens and grab beef Jerky, cheese sticks, an apple & nuts. Sometimes they have boiled eggs or yogurt. If I go to Walgreens I'll grab a 4 pack of Protein Shakes. Just keep a water bottle.

I definitely realized something when this happened. I felt like an alcoholic in a desert having to choose between thirst and a cold beer. (Not sure where he got the cold beer ????). I'm so scared to cheat because I'm afraid I won't get back on track. Also afraid it will become a habit. That I will justify it the next time and then the next and the next. I didn't realize until that night that I was literally afraid of junk food and afraid of failure. I have already thrown some nuts in my glove compartment.