Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Some trouble eating...

Hello Everyone.. it's been since 10/19 since the banding. I am in the mushy or soft phase right now. I tried egg salad the first day and experienced terrible cramping that lasted for two days under my left breast and into my back. The waves of cramping literally (when they would happen ) would stop me in my tracks.. and make me bend over and have to hold my stomach Is that what they mean by not chewing or tolerating a certain food? ?..I have had mashed potato with gravy ok , applesauce- which gave me pain right away and tuna which I had pain with but short lived . I wanted to know what can/ should I eat right now besides cream Soup? ??? I am supposed to be on mushies getting used to more normal foods. Do you think I am not ready for those foods or not chewing it enough??? I have to say the hunger is getting to me --not everyday but some days it really bothers me. Will I really feel better once I get a fill? Will this hunger subside? I am being a trouper and staying the course. I have lost 18 pounds (5 before I left for banding while on liquids. ) I bought the Protein Powder to add to foods last night and I bought the Isopure Protein Drink to force down. It is a bit mucky but better than the others. I have been taking 2 Flinstones everyday and 2-3 viactive calcium chews. I have added Biotin, B12 , b-6 and vit-E. Do I sound like I am doing ok at the point I am at?? I have my first fill scheduled for exaxctly 6 weeks on Nov 30 with Dr. Fielding at NYU. Thanks for listening I know I asked a lot of questions.....

Kelly - I got banded the day before you. I am still on liquids until tomorrow. I am sick of Soup too, but it is important to do as your doctor tells you, which everyone has a different set of rules. I also got to add a scrambled egg in last week. Starting tomorrow, I get to add some chicken, tuna, and fish. Maybe you are adding stuff in too fast? I also have to stick with 1/2 cup servings with a three cup limit for the day. Did your doctor tell you what you should be eating? Like I said each doctor has their own rules. Next week I will get to go to some normal foods. If you continue to have these pains, I would try to stick with the liquids for a while, or call your doctor and ask his advice.

Good Luck

when i eat too much i get the tightness especially in my back between my shoulder blades-i had Soup today and some salad-dr says i am doing fine and that eating is ok as long as i chew chew chew and no steak till 3 weks-tough on the stomach-still drinking boost several times a day too- so so far all is well-

I would call your doctor's office and speak to the staff about this. My guess would be that you are perhaps trying to eat too much. Slow down and really check in with your body between bites. Are you experiencing any strange or new sensations such as hiccuping, nose running, chest pain? Those are all soft signals to stop eating immediately. You have had enough. I also wonder whether perhaps your stomach is not ready for soft food and you should stick to truly mushy things like cottage cheese (I love those Breakstone pre-packaged cottage cheese and compote dishes), mashed potatoes, yogurt, etc. But you should discuss this with your doctor. I certainly hope you feel better soon! Remember, there is really a learning curve when we first get banded. We have to learn to recognize what our band is telling us and it does take time.

Nancy

Thanks for your responses. I was told by Dr. Rumbaut 2 weeks full liquids and then this past tuesday started the third week which I was told to move on to the mushy or soft foods for another two weeks - week five try regular food. At six weeks I was told I could have a fill. I think you are all right and I really need to chew and be really careful of the portions. It is a learning experience I guess. I was so used to eating without chewing and paying attention to the amount. Last night it was my son's birthday so he wanted to go to Chilis reastaurant. I had 3/4 cup of chicken noodle Soup . I did eat some of the noodles and a small piece of the chicken meat. I ate three pieces of penne Pasta and the inside part only of two cheese sticks( no breading ) I later that night had ice cream cake. I felt full but no pain. I really chewed everything. It does not sound that nutritious when I write it down here..... I want to eat more nutritious foods but on liquid and mushy mashed potato, cream Soups, are after all fattening . I am dying for a salad !!! and some real Protein I can eat like some kind of meat , fish or chicken. Thanks again for your responses....