Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been having issues. I was stressing over my stall, but then I had some enlightenment. I am addressing the issues that triggered me to mess up and am learning more about myself and how to really change all of the things that need to be changed. Stalls aren't bad things as long as you don't waste the opportunity to let them help you.

We really need to dig in to our lives and find out what caused us to be this way in the first place -- with the same zeal we used to dig into a bag of potato chips! Get me?

It's a hard, slow process, but I truly believe I will be better for it when I come out the other side -- no matter how long it takes!

I definitely agree that both pre-and post-op, the stall is discouraging.

I certainly remember many times hearing my doctors and weight watcher people questioning why I wasn't losing weight when I was following the plan. That is definitely when I would give up and say, if restricting my food and enduring this deprivation doesn't work, why even try.

Thankfully, now, for me, giving up isn't an option.

Now that I have learned so much more about how my body works I have more patience. It makes me so much more willing and able to see a stall as an important and necessary part of the process. Not something to be feared or avoided. Plus, I don't weigh often enough to actually observe many stalls.

On retrospect, if I knew this 30-40 years ago, I MAY have saved myself from decades of yo-yo dieting and super morbid obesity.

To add the OP's excellent initial post, it seems that most people don't understand what a stall REALLY is.

A stall is not the loss of "only 2 pounds" this week nor is it no weight loss for the last 36 hours. A true stall is no movement in weight up or down for at least three weeks.

If you tracked your weight on the way up like I'd assume MANY of us did, you had periods of time where you gained daily, weeks where you went up and down daily and some days where you stayed the same no matter what you ate. You weren't stalled then and you aren't stalled now.

Embrace your success, current and future!

Great advice. Sometimes we want all the weight off so bad, that we don't acknowledge and appreciate the weight that has come off.

I am thankful to be down 74 pounds. And I am earning to change how I communicate that. Over the weekend my cousin asked how much I had lost? My response was I have lost about 70 pounds but I still have 100 more to lose!

I will stop discounting my sucess today. The next time someone asks my answer will be "I have lost over 70 pounds and I look and feel great!" Period. Because that is the truth.

My response is simply "A LOT" with a smile. My weight does not need to be a running theme with my friends and acquaintances and the more I shut it down, the less it seems to be talked about. Period.

I'm 4 wks post op tomorrow, and just hit my stall 4 days ago. Down 27 lbs in total. I'm actually a little relieved, can give up my scale for the week and just relax. There's no way I'm not going to lose additional weight with my new eating and exercise habits. Body is also retaining Water right now. So, will try hopping back on once my ankles look a little less swollen. In the meantime, going to enjoy the compliments from people who are finally noticing I'm losing weight at almost 30 lbs!

Be easy on yourselves.

I was in blissful tailspin for my first seven weeks, and now at eight weeks, I appear to have slammed into a massive brick wall. My restriction feels completely adequate and I cannot eat more than the surgeon's recommended amount of anything. I think we have a tendency to overestimate our physical activity. We can be fastidious about getting the same workouts in (although I will add that eventually the same workout over and over will grow ineffective due to the body's adaptation to it) but it is very possible to be losing steps and other forms of labor elsewhere in the day...such as standing on escalators up which we would formerly climb, not getting up as much at work, and not capering around the house quite as much at night. Fitbit and other things help make these comparisons, but not all steps are created equal and our overall energy output may have stealthily decreased despite similar looking activity. Bottom line...err on the side of restlessness!

@ Innersurfergirl:

Thanks for the post that started this thread. I had hit a 3 week stall in the beginning of month 5 and I was good at reminding myself not to stress too much but there were days where it was just tough mentally. I thought I was doing ok but hubby was honest this morning and said I was in a bad mood/funk for most of it. Your posting was something that helped remind me to keep focused and not to panic. That you for taking the time to write it. ????

Thanks, @MzB. I am glad this was helpful for you.

I read a post this week (I wish I remember who said it), where someone talked about noticing how much her skin tightened up while she was on a stall. It just reminded me that stalls are when our bodies does the work of getting smaller.

This post spoke right to me. I am going to keep this handy. Very, very handy. Thank you for spelling it out!

It is something to remember that's for sure. I lost 24 pounds my first 3 weeks post-op, was flat for another 3 weeks, and then melted off another 15 pounds quickly (in less than 2 weeks). Unfortunately now I've been on another lengthy stall. It's all part of the process but definitely a bit frustrating.

You also need to embrace the stall because they will become more and more common the longer it has been since your surgery.

I just wanted to add an anecdote.

I am on a fairly long stall. Today, I tried on a new bathing suit that is one size down from my last suit and it fits.

I have lost one bathing suit size while in my current stall. At my size, there is still a lot of territory between sizes so this is significant.

I just read a good article through MyFitnessPal that talks about evaluating progress by looking at fitness level. Specifically measuring progress in strength, endurance, and flexibility, rather than obsessing about the numbers on the scale.

It's a good read.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-to-do-when-the-scale-wont-budge/?native_client=1

Inner Surfer Girl, on 17 Nov 2015 - 13:50, said:snapback.png

@Inner Surfer Girl - glad you posted the link to your earlier thread

i always knew you were aces ;)

hope it's ok that i now am copying my earlier post to your response (did i say that right?)

i won't get arrested, or will i???LOL

rian_, on 17 Nov 2015 - 13:33, said:snapback.png

upset I did somethings wrong

@rian_

no bud, i doubt you have done anything wrong so early in the game

give it time - you might screw up later :lol:

many newbies think the weight excess will come off yesterday!!!

doesn't work that way :wacko:

you didn't loose weight one night

you will not wake up one morning with all that weight gone

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About IT"

people do loose weight in different time periods

never compare yourself to others

the only thing we have in common is that we are all different!!!

please don't let the scale control your life

that would drive you crazy

i've heard some people weigh themselves before and after they go to bathroom!!!!!!

holy moly!!!! are you kidding me?? :o

relax bud

continue to follow all the rules

you will be a great success

i know you will :rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

Sexy at Sixty

life is good

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs