Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too many stalls, sigh!

I don't understand why I'm stalling so much. I lose, then I stall. I lose again then I stall. Each time I get to a new section on the scale I'll sit in that section for about a month. For example, I was stuck in the 270s for about a month before I finally got to the 260s. I've been hovering between 266 - 269 for the past 2 weeks. At this rate I'm not going to lose 100 lbs by my 6 months which is Oct 8th. I'm only down 76 lbs so far. I wanted to at least be down 100 lbs by my 6 mos check up. I'm definitely on the slow losers side. Will I ever see onederland???

Started out at 342lbs and now down to 268. What can I do???

Setting goals to lose x pounds by y date is almost always going to end unhappily. The weight loss gods hear us when we say things like that and decide to mock us. Instead, focus on how well you are following your plan and Celebrate that. The stair step weight loss pattern you are describing is completely normal. You aren't a slow loser btw -- you just need to adjust your expectations a little ;)

Celebrate the fact that you have LOST 76 lbs! What would the scale show today without bariatric surgery? I stall frequently too, even at less than 1 month out, but have lots going against me: Lifetime of obesity, advanced age, female, carry much of the weight in the thighs. All this to say my expectations are that one day I'll get there. Stalls make me crazy but they're just a part of the process. Cheer your victories and keep your eye on the prize! 76 lbs is fantastic!

@@leag78

Yes, you will see onederland. Just be patient.

Are you tracking your calories, Protein and carbs? Staying clear of sugar, processed food, and white carbs? Drinking all your Fluid? Moving around enough to get your heart rate up 5 days a week?

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, that may be your answer to why you're stalling so much.

Do you have an exercise program? In my first month I lost 33 lbs, but in the last two weeks just 5 lbs or so, and I have been fastidious about diet and quality Proteins with minimal carb sightings. Alas, I have had a few weddings, work trips, and family events in the last two weeks and I haven't done any more exercise than what it takes to get to and from work on subway/foot. I have receives taunts on Fitbit. In the weight loss stage, it is every bit as important as diet, and my rate of weight loss is tightly proportional to how well I stay on track with exercise. Eventually, there will be another twist, and that will be to hold onto muscle by doing resistance (though aerobic works fine for now, and technically I still don't have permission to lift).

I learned VERY quickly after my VSG that setting any sort of date-based goals for weight loss was a recipe for frustration and disappointment. You need to trust and have faith that, if you stick to the plan, you WILL lose the weight. How quickly you lose it doesn't really matter so long as that scale keeps trending downward, you will end up where you need to be eventually. It took me a full year to lose the 71 pounds I needed to reach my goal weight. That's pretty slow compared to most, but now I'm at goal and maintaining. In the grand scheme of things, what does it matter if it took me a few more months to lose the weight than it took someone else?

I don't understand why I'm stalling so much. I lose, then I stall. I lose again then I stall. Each time I get to a new section on the scale I'll sit in that section for about a month. For example, I was stuck in the 270s for about a month before I finally got to the 260s. I've been hovering between 266 - 269 for the past 2 weeks. At this rate I'm not going to lose 100 lbs by my 6 months which is Oct 8th. I'm only down 76 lbs so far. I wanted to at least be down 100 lbs by my 6 mos check up. I'm definitely on the slow losers side. Will I ever see onederland???

Started out at 342lbs and now down to 268. What can I do???

What can you do? Relax and stay off the scale if it bothers you so much. As long as you are getting in all your Protein and Water and following your NUT and surgeon's instructions, you are doing what you are supposed to do.

Stalls are a normal and natural part of the process.

Our bodies are complex systems and not simple machines.

Stalls go hand-in-hand with weight loss.

Just ended a 3 week stall here. You are right Inner Surfer Girl about the complexities of the human body. So we all hang in there, eat right, drink enough Fluid and exercise and have faith one day that scale will move down again. While we wait we look for NSV's. Not making any weight loss related goals here just trying to believe if I work the program it will happen..in it's own time.

To answer some of your questions, I do try and get all my Fluid and Protein in, and sometimes unsuccessful. I average about 47 - 68 oz of Water a day, and close to 60 grams of Protein a day. I walk everyday, and I try and stay away from bread, potatoes, Pasta and rice. For the most part I eat meat and vegetables. I'm 37 years old and have been pretty much overweight my entire life.

I guess I'm just my own worst enemy because I sometimes have doubts about making it to onederland. So many of you made it to onederland but I haven't seen anyone who started out in the 3s make it to onederland yet. Seems like everyone was in the 2s.

There are definitely people on here who started in the 300's and made it to Onederland and then on to their goal weight. CowgirlJane is one that immediately comes to mind. But I know there are others.

yep many of us have and you will too if you keep it up. remember everyone is different.

I started at 362 pounds last december and im at 188 today. now I take a rather tighter hold on my diet etc and i have bloodwork every 2 months to be sure i am doing ok. I stay on the low end of carbs like 30 or under usually closer to 10 to 15 a day. i dont eat breads much, if i do no more than 3 times a week and only the skinny girl flatout fold it flatbreads, . i still take a Protein shake once a day and my only Snacks are sugar free pudding or sugar free Jello. I dont eats fruits except some apple slices now and then and i watch the veg i eat as well. many vegetable have a lot of sugar, yes its natural sugar but its sugar nonetheless. SO green Beans, broccoli, and cauliflower are my go tos for veg, carrots and crn no more than once a week. i also am at 800 to 1000 calories per day maximum. and i do cardio 6 days a week. Remember though, your journey is your own. Be patient, it took time to become big and unhealthy it will take us all time to get where we want to be as well.

@@leag78,

I started out at 315lbs and am currently at 189. I stall a lot but I promise if you are patient the weight will in fact come off.

Stick to the plan and stay off the scale.