Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Bariatric Mistakes - Do any apply to you?

Every since I first started researching WLS I started reading tons and tons of boards and websites and groups on the subject. Watching Youtube video's and reading articles etc. Ive probably touched on every topic of information there is on the subject at one time or another in the last year or so. I have been a bit obsessed.

There are some things I see that bothers me. and that is how there are people that will try to do thier own thing and not follow the rules. Id say almost every day when I go to read my ussual websites and forums and groups, there is always a post from someone doing something that they shouldnt be doing.

"I ate crackers 4 days after surgery"

"Im eating boiled eggs 3 days after surgery"

"I got to have my alchohol so Im not giving that up"

"I pureed a cupcake...I'm in the pureed stage"

I don't do water" (which really annoys me...water has no taste, this is usually stubbornness)

I don't understand it. why would you spend all that money, spend all that time, the recovery, the pain, the uncomfortable moments, nausea, inconvenience to not follow the rules and try to make it work for you the best it can. Sometimes people just don't know better I get it. not everyone does the research and not everyone has good options as far as their nutritionist to help. But some do. they know better and but they want to do what they want to do anyway. I actually saw a post from someone on another forum...

"I didn't spend all this money to have to watch what I eat...if I wanted to do that I would've just lost weight the regular way"

I read stuff like that and wish there was a way to revoke that persons surgery and give it to someone else.

The bad thing about this thinking, as soon as a person say something silly, there are others that fall right in line. one persons bad behavior feeds that behavior to others. "Oh its alright to eat crackers 4 days after surgery? I'm gonna go buy some crackers now"

A lot of people say "talk to your NUT" which is good, but I don't believe there are a million different rules. I believe there is 1 set of rules, there is a right answer. if your NUT is telling you that fried chicken is OK 4 weeks out, YOUR NUT IS WRONG.

That was a long intro but here is what I wanted to share.

This is a article I saw earlier today that I thought was interesting.

http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/03/top-10-bariatric-post-op-mistakes/​

Sometimes after we have had our surgery, we still get absent minded and need reminders. this is a good kick in the but

Especially number 10.

Umm, pureed cupcake? BRILLIANT! Hahaha, that never even crossed my mind to try, but it did make me laugh.

Sure some rules are pretty standard (crackers 4 days after surgery) but MANY vary by doctor and nutritionist simply because there are no controlled studies to back a lot of it up. It's what that doctor has seen provide their patients with the most success.

Some plans advance faster than others. Some allow alcohol at a certain point. Some allow flavorings in the Water. THATS why we refer people back to the doctor and nutritionist that they chose, hopefully because they trusted that doctor enough to have surgery with them so hopefully they are motivated to follow the advice/plan of the doctor they trust.

Bahahaha pureed cupcake!! Like, like, like! :D

There is always someone here who advises to buck the system and yeah there are those just waiting for someone to give them permission to do so. :blink:

When you call them out they get angry. Like you are the bad guy. :o

Love your post!! Excellent! ;)

My doctor told me the story of the patient who gained weight after the sleeve...was eating 1/2 a cheescake and 3 milkshakes everyday starting at week 2

My doctor said that they accidentally got the lunch trays mixed up in the hospital and a guy right out of gastric bypass surgery was served a large hamburger. They didn't realize the mistake until after he had eaten the whole hamburger (I know, how is that even possible?). Of course, the patient blamed the hospital for his bad food choice.

It seems that most post op patients that decide to "do it their own way" end up not being very successful. Then you have to listen to them whine about why they aren't losing weight.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

@kingdavid757

Have you ever watched the video's from Dr. Matthew Weiner? Some of his findings contradict some the items on this list. Certainly can't go wrong from the top 10 list, but I still think it is interesting that still seems to be a lot of contradictory information floating around out there. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/

I've watched most of Dr. Weiner's videos and the only thing contradictory would be the "Protein first" rule. He puts an emphasis on a plant based diet after the first 6 months post op.

I've seen that article before, and it's pretty spot on. The drinking rule, though, is more towards bypass patients. Sleeve patients should also follow it, but I feel they can be a little more lax with it. By lax I don't mean guzzling Water while you're eating, but small sips while you're eating isn't going to kill you. Also, the 15 or 30 minute before I feel is debatable. But not the waiting after. Just my humble opinion :P

My very favorite part of the article, because it is SO TRUE:

Here’s your wake up call. THE WEIGHT LOSS PARTY ENDS. During those first seven months of massive weight loss you are not driving the bus. You will lose the same amount of weight no matter what you do. There are some who don’t catch on to this and happily think that they have somehow cheated the system and are still losing weight while eating french fries. This does not end well in the long run.

It is common for post ops to not lose all the way to goal weight or over the years regain a substantial portion or even all of their weight back if they have not embraced making completely different foods choices. Even those paying attention can get hit with a gain, just like people who have not had weight loss surgery can gain weight. As with most successes, you create a long term plan and follow it. Weight loss surgery is not effortless nor does it last forever without serious commitment to the new way of life you create.

I am so glad you posted this post. I just got thru reading a really crazy post on here about ice cream, GEEZ my head hurt after reading that. Although I felt bad for the person that posted it, however I do understand why people were hard on him. Because You Cant Lose Weight With Ice Cream! I haven't had my surgery yet, just had my last nutrition appt waiting on Insurance approval. But I will honestly share that I am completely gullible and will read anything and think "hey he's having ice cream, maybe I can too." This top 10 link really put it into perspective for me. I saved it to my blog that I am doing for my own sake so I can read it later. Thanks for sharing. This is not the fix all, we will always have struggles, no more soda or french fries or pizza. It's the same old diet I've been doing for years, the surgery is just a jump start. It's time to get serious!

Every since I first started researching WLS I started reading tons and tons of boards and websites and groups on the subject. Watching Youtube video's and reading articles etc. Ive probably touched on every topic of information there is on the subject at one time or another in the last year or so. I have been a bit obsessed.

There are some things I see that bothers me. and that is how there are people that will try to do thier own thing and not follow the rules. Id say almost every day when I go to read my ussual websites and forums and groups, there is always a post from someone doing something that they shouldnt be doing.

"I ate crackers 4 days after surgery"

"Im eating boiled eggs 3 days after surgery"

"I got to have my alchohol so Im not giving that up"

"I pureed a cupcake...I'm in the pureed stage"

I don't do water" (which really annoys me...water has no taste, this is usually stubbornness)

I don't understand it. why would you spend all that money, spend all that time, the recovery, the pain, the uncomfortable moments, nausea, inconvenience to not follow the rules and try to make it work for you the best it can. Sometimes people just don't know better I get it. not everyone does the research and not everyone has good options as far as their nutritionist to help. But some do. they know better and but they want to do what they want to do anyway. I actually saw a post from someone on another forum...

"I didn't spend all this money to have to watch what I eat...if I wanted to do that I would've just lost weight the regular way"

I read stuff like that and wish there was a way to revoke that persons surgery and give it to someone else.

The bad thing about this thinking, as soon as a person say something silly, there are others that fall right in line. one persons bad behavior feeds that behavior to others. "Oh its alright to eat crackers 4 days after surgery? I'm gonna go buy some crackers now"

A lot of people say "talk to your NUT" which is good, but I don't believe there are a million different rules. I believe there is 1 set of rules, there is a right answer. if your NUT is telling you that fried chicken is OK 4 weeks out, YOUR NUT IS WRONG.

That was a long intro but here is what I wanted to share.

This is a article I saw earlier today that I thought was interesting.

http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/03/top-10-bariatric-post-op-mistakes/​

Sometimes after we have had our surgery, we still get absent minded and need reminders. this is a good kick in the but

Especially number 10.

???? I totally agree with your entire post. I researched the sleeve for 2 years before deciding to go forward and these things annoyed me me also. I just never stated out loud. ????????????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Bahahaha pureed cupcake!! Like, like, like! :D

There is always someone here who advises to buck the system and yeah there are those just waiting for someone to give them permission to do so. :blink:

When you call them out they get angry. Like you are the bad guy. :o

Love your post!! Excellent! ;)

???????????????? so true!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I am so glad you posted this post. I just got thru reading a really crazy post on here about ice cream, GEEZ my head hurt after reading that. Although I felt bad for the person that posted it, however I do understand why people were hard on him. Because You Cant Lose Weight With Ice Cream! I haven't had my surgery yet, just had my last nutrition appt waiting on Insurance approval. But I will honestly share that I am completely gullible and will read anything and think "hey he's having ice cream, maybe I can too." This top 10 link really put it into perspective for me. I saved it to my blog that I am doing for my own sake so I can read it later. Thanks for sharing. This is not the fix all, we will always have struggles, no more soda or french fries or pizza. It's the same old diet I've been doing for years, the surgery is just a jump start. It's time to get serious!

I'm going to say again, different things work for different people. Check out some of the threads on moderation vs abstinence. Some people can lose weight having some ice cream (sugar free is what the person recommended), a few French fries here and there and, yes, pizza. Some doctors and dietitians preach abstinence some moderation, but more importantly abstinence works for some and moderation works for others. It's not a one size fits all.

I am in the moderation camp about many things (sweets, fries, yes pizza)--and lost 135 lbs and am maintaining nicely using that plan. Other things which are triggers for me (bread, Pasta, crackers, chips) I abstain from entirely. Others make me sick so I don't eat (rice, carbonation).

Did I eat ice cream on a regular basis to get Protein in? Heck no! But I warn against using too broad generalizations. 90% of the time I follow all the "rules" and 10% of the time I allow for some flexibility. It works for me and keeps me on plan and healthy!