Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAD TO SHARE! protein milkshake is the best for those who just can't on the shakes

I know and have read a few people such as myself becoming sick of the Protein shakes, so I decided to try and make a Protein milkshake and OMG it was the best! I highly recommend it, tastes like a McDonald's milkshake with less calories and hardly any carbs. I will say I am 3wks post op and it's tolerated very well.

For the ingredients I used 3/4 cup bryers sugar free vanilla ice cream, 1 cup low carb fairlife protein milk and 2 scoops of publix organic vanilla whey Protein powder. YUMMY 50g of protein total and you can't even taste it!

Well it had me so excited I had to share haha!

what's the calorie count on that?

3/4 cup ice cream- 120 calories Protein 2g carbs 13g

1 cup Fairlife milk- 120 calories Protein 13g carbs 6g

2 scoops publix organic vanilla whey protein powder- 160 calories protein 16g carbs 3g

total- 400 calories!! protein 31g and carbs 22g

That is unfortunately way too high for me. That is half my days calories and not enough nutritional value.

When counting carbs you subtract the sugar alcohols and the Fiber from the total carbs listed on the serving. And the fairlife skim milk is 80 calories 13g Protein and 6g carbs. And the whey Protein only has 3 g carb per serving. Or course you could modify this as you choose. And only use one scoop. What I am trying to say is that adding even just a half of scoop and putting it in a blender takes away from the whey protein taste and offers an alternative.

My mini meals never add up to more than maybe 200 calories so for Breakfast this is for me a great alternative. I still want to aim to get at least 800 calories a day as I'm not looking for a super fast weight loss..I have done competitive weight training in the past and am desperate to not lose muscle mass. So this is just a guide for those who are struggling. But all in all its still under 400 calories.

post-258325-14424970370697_thumb.jpg

Why would you do two scoops of whey Protein? And I am sure if you sub out the Fairlife milk with a lactose free or soy based milk you could save on the calories and carbs. And are you seriously only getting in 800 calories in a day? That seem awfully low for an adult to consume.

According to this even an inactive female at your current height and weight should be doing around 1900 calories per day.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/calorie-calculator/itt-20084939

1 cup Fairlife milk- 120 calories protein 13g carbs 6g

2 scoops publix organic vanilla whey protein powder- 160 calories protein 16g carbs 3g

That is unfortunately way too high for me. That is half my days calories and not enough nutritional value.

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

Per my surgeon my goal at 4 months post op with exercise is to get to 900 calories per day. Per my nutritionist, same office, she is not a fan of subtracting Fiber for net carbs so I don't.

I am exactly where I need to be. As I said, for me, I don't want a 400 calorie shake. I drink one I make ever morning and it is only 175 calories. You quoted 50 g of Protein and it doesn't add up, also the body cannot absorb more than 30g at a time.

Just be careful what you quote as fact here as some don't do the research and will just eat/drink what someone says. We have a responsibility to be accurate as well as supportive.

You are always entitled to your opinion but when you posted your "shake", include the macros up front.

@@BigTink2LilTink, I am only 4 months post-op and couldn't eat 1900 calories if I tried without making unhealthy choices. I can only eat 3/4 food per serving.

I couldnt get 800 calories at 3 weeks I was just getting about 600 at that time. it took me till about 6 weeks to consistently get 800 calories and I'm at 9 weeks now and still just barely get 800 calories daily. sometimes a little more. yea there's nothing wrong with the 800 per day at 3 weeks (I would actually say its a little high).

but yea, 400 calories for a shake is too much. 1 shake is almost a half day's calories. if you do a second, your pretty much done for the day. To me, it seems like that thing where people say "I just had bite of cake". a bite turns into 2 bites, turns into a slice, turns into a bigger slice and before you know it, you're eating just like you were before.

Per my surgeon my goal at 4 months post op with exercise is to get to 900 calories per day. Per my nutritionist, same office, she is not a fan of subtracting Fiber for net carbs so I don't.

I am exactly where I need to be. As I said, for me, I don't want a 400 calorie shake. I drink one I make ever morning and it is only 175 calories. You quoted 50 g of Protein and it doesn't add up, also the body cannot absorb more than 30g at a time.

Just be careful what you quote as fact here as some don't do the research and will just eat/drink what someone says. We have a responsibility to be accurate as well as supportive.

You are always entitled to your opinion but when you posted your "shake", include the macros up front.

No need to be rude about it. I mean I wasn't trying to harm anyone. I was extremely excited and like you said in other forums everyone's nutritional plan is different. This is approved by my nutritionist she is super happy I found something that worked and even brought it up in the support group. I wasn't trying to hide anything just offer a suggestion like so many of us. Maybe I went about it the wrong way but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it might not work for others. Geez kinda disappointing to get such a negative reaction to something intended to be innocent. Just because this is not for you doesn't mean you have to bash it.

Like I said you can modify it. Maybe one scoop of Protein mix and just one serving of ice cream and half a cup of the fat free milk. That would change a lot. We all have to find a way to live with the life changes and this one works well for me so I just wanted to share it.

Per my surgeon my goal at 4 months post op with exercise is to get to 900 calories per day. Per my nutritionist, same office, she is not a fan of subtracting fiber for net carbs so I don't.

I am exactly where I need to be. As I said, for me, I don't want a 400 calorie shake. I drink one I make ever morning and it is only 175 calories. You quoted 50 g of protein and it doesn't add up, also the body cannot absorb more than 30g at a time.

No need to be rude about it. I mean I wasn't trying to harm anyone. I was extremely excited and like you said in other forums everyone's nutritional plan is different. This is approved by my nutritionist she is super happy I found something that worked and even brought it up in the support group. I wasn't trying to hide anything just offer a suggestion like so many of us. Maybe I went about it the wrong way but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it might not work for others. Geez kinda disappointing to get such a negative reaction to something intended to be innocent. Just because this is not for you doesn't mean you have to bash it.

Like I said you can modify it. Maybe one scoop of protein mix and just one serving of ice cream and half a cup of the fat free milk. That would change a lot. We all have to find a way to live with the life changes and this one works well for me so I just wanted to share it.

As I stated, too high for me. Never said anything about you.

Per my surgeon my goal at 4 months post op with exercise is to get to 900 calories per day. Per my nutritionist, same office, she is not a fan of subtracting fiber for net carbs so I don't.

I am exactly where I need to be. As I said, for me, I don't want a 400 calorie shake. I drink one I make ever morning and it is only 175 calories. You quoted 50 g of protein and it doesn't add up, also the body cannot absorb more than 30g at a time.

Again said you were entitled but made a suggestion to help others not so inclined to research.

Just stating facts not trying to be rude, seems you are a bit defensive and if I hurt your sensitivities I am sorry.

I still stand by my statement that 375 as you say, 400 as I added is to much for one shake.< /p>

A 12 oz McDonalds vanilla shake is :

Calories 520 Total Fat 17g 26% Carbs 80g 27% Protein 12g Sodium 260mg

11%

So other than the obvious nutrient differences, the calories are not really all that much of a savings or bang for the buck so to speak.

Just keeping it real!

becoming sick of the Protein shakes

@@readyforthislifechange

we always say listen to our NUT

if you and her/him both agree of your recipe

that's all that matters

i found GNC Lean shake High Protein

pre-mixed in bottle, ready to go, delicious

175 calories

25 gr of protein

works for me

swiss chocolate especially

yum yum

IMO no one is trying/or are mean

@@ShrinkingPeach et al

"we" are just giving response/comments to your shake suggestion

"our" thoughts make up our opinion

your thoughts make up your opinion

we are both right

because they are "just" opinions

i wish you well :rolleyes:

kathy

As I stated, too high for me. Never said anything about you.

Again said you were entitled but made a suggestion to help others not so inclined to research.

Just stating facts not trying to be rude, seems you are a bit defensive and if I hurt your sensitivities I am sorry.

I still stand by my statement that 375 as you say, 400 as I added is to much for one shake.< /p>

A 12 oz McDonalds vanilla shake is :

Calories 520 Total Fat 17g 26% Carbs 80g 27% Protein 12g Sodium 260mg

11%

So other than the obvious nutrient differences, the calories are not really all that much of a savings or bang for the buck so to speak.

Just keeping it real!

Wow that's nuts. You're telling me there is not much difference. How many grams of sugar are in the McDonald's milkshake?

Geez you need to chill out..I posted everything I didn't hide anything or try to sell anything. Look it up on my fitness pal when you enter it. The shake I mentioned had nutritional including fiber which most of us seem to not get.

I'm not sensitive you came on this post with a negative attitude not even realizing that this is a healthy alternative. If you think a meal that has 375 calories a lot you're just plain crazy. It had tons of protein, very little sugar and fiber. Quite the opposite of a McDonald's shake.

Again if it doesn't work for you just don't drink it. No one cares. It might work for someone else negative Nancy maybe you can sign yourself up to be the bariatric police. Seriously.

You will get there in time. At our around the 6 month mark, when you are allowed to eat red meat and pork again, you should be getting closer to your daily intake of Protein. I'm almost a year post op and I still do whey shakes no less that 3 times per week. But I'm also doing a ton of cardio to counter balance my calories in vs calories burned.

@@BigTink2LilTink, I am only 4 months post-op and couldn't eat 1900 calories if I tried without making unhealthy choices. I can only eat 3/4 food per serving.