Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I tell my pcp about my surgery ?

Your PCP should know so that they know how to treat you properly if you get sick like with prescribing different meds etc so that they don't interfere with your new stomach. My surgeon requires a visit post op with my PCP within two weeks of surgery.

Your PCP is your "mainline" doctor. He/she should be aware of ALL of your health issues.

In theory, yes, your PCP should know. I did not tell any of my non-major doctors because I've worked in medicine and I know when it is relevant to my care and when it is not. I told my plastic surgeon, because in the event my surgery went horribly wrong, he would need to know for nutritional purposes. I only told 3 people about my sleeve surgery and the more doctors that know, the more people that know, and ultimately things end up getting out...even with HIPPA. My PCP has no idea I have a sleeve. It is generally a good idea to tell your PCP, but if you choose to keep it private, be cognizant of the fact that if you ever have a serious illness, it is something that will come up. If you use your PCP like I do for the occassional flu, UTI, or my annual physical, he really doesn't neeeeeeeed to know.

I would think you would definitely need to tell your PCP, especially if you are relying on him or her for post-op care. I had a follow-up appointment with my PCP soon after surgery to update my meds, etc. My surgeon's office also gave me paperwork to give to my PCP to update my records. I also made an appointment with my sleep doctor soon after surgery in order to adjust my Bi-Pap pressure.

Yes, your PCP should know.

If you don't want your PCP to know, you probably should find another PCP whom you are comfortable telling.

So you're just going to walk in to his office one day 100 pounds lighter and pretend nothing happened?!?! ;)

I guess that depends on if you brought him back a bottle of tequila or not!

LOL! I wouldn't worry.

Absolutely ...

Someone is going to have to order your blood work. You will need bloodwork to make sure you are meeting your nutritional needs.

Lol I dont see my doctor that often but I guess what im asking is does it affect me in any way to have done the sugery in Mexico ??

PCPs are humans with budgets and health coverage too. They should understand self pay options and the need to be frugal. If you have a need for the procedure, a qualified team, and facility in Mexico, your PCP should understand and even support you. Be sure to request a medical report, tests, etc from the events in Mexico so you have them for future reference and to provide if ever requested by a doctor in the future. Actually even for those having surgery in the U.S. Hospitals and doctors do not keep these records for more than several years.

Good luck!

I haven't told my PCP, because I only see him once a year or so... I don't get sick very often. :) I doubt he even knows how I look.

I did tell my physical therapist and my orthopaedist.

Ditto to all responses above. Your PCP is your life-line for after WLS care.

Informing the PCP of ANY AND ALL medical issues/events in your life is a MUST.

-RC-

I think you should tell your PCP. Even if you only go to them for your annual physical. I believe its important they know what test should be done when they do your bloodwork.