Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did people notice your weight loss?

I am 6 weeks post op and between the weight I started to loose in May, pre op to now- I have lost over 50lbs

At Water aerobics, everyone comment on a person that lost 17lbs- no one has noticed my loss- even though I am down in clothing sizes and suits!!!! I keep wondering what the magic number is as well!

I'm a teacher too and had my surgery during spring break last year. When I came back after the summer, I was down about 45 pounds. I lost 5 more and then EVERYONE started noticing (which is s little embarrassing because I don't like a lot of attention). So I would say around the 50 pound mark.

63 lbs since beginning of pre-op and just starting to hear a few words, and that's from people who last saw me at my original weight. Anybody who's seen me at any point in the interim is still mum. It takes a while. We have to get used to the fact that this is not the main topic on most people's mind. Unfortunately, even after we're all thin, I don't generally foresee it being a dormant topic, especially given the work required for maintenance. However, by that time, and especially for people you haven't seen since surgery, you'll be getting the remarks.

P.S...part of the reason I haven't gotten too many remarks is that I haven't really changed out any clothes yet.

I got my first comment today at 3-wks post op from a co-worker who sits right next to me. I'm down 30 lbs since pre-op so it's not too noticeable to others yet, but just that one comment was very encouraging. Can't wait to see what the next 30 lbs looks and feels like!

I was so frustrated for months... No one noticed except the people that knew I had the surgery. I had dinner with a friend at the 42 pound loss mark, no comment. Then I saw her again 2 weeks later and I was at the 49 pound loss mark and she went nuts. It was about the 47-49 pounds lost and 3 month mark when people started noticing. And when they finally noticed, it's been all people talk about!

Some people noticed early on when I had lost 25, 30 lbs, however most people didn't really notice until I was around 80lbs down. Then suddenly it was, "Hey are you losing weight?" Honestly I had a hard time seeing it until I was down 50lbs! Even though I felt my clothes getting loser, I just couldn't see it.

I am three months post-op and down 51 pounds (including my pre-op loss) and i have not yet had anyone just randomly mention or notice and say "wow you've lost weight". I am also down to a size 16 from a 26. I am sitting on my local bank now and I haven't seen these people since I started this journey and honestly deep down inside I was thinking "wow they are going to be impressed". Not one person noticed. I was a little disappointed and then I had to laugh at myself. I notice and I feel great... That is all that matters.

Edited by maggie409

I am going on a cruise 7 weeks after my surgery. can anyone tell me what to expect at 7 weeks out.

I am going on a cruise 7 weeks after my surgery. can anyone tell me what to expect at 7 weeks out.

You might get better answers if you create a separate thread instead of hijacking this one.

As others mentioned above, I think that everyone is different. Some people noticed at 25 lbs and then now that I am at 85 lbs down a lot of people notice. People are nice and respectful about it though. Its a fun journey! Take time for you to enjoy it! And GO SHOPPING. I promise its so fun now. And once you get clothes that fit you, you will enjoy it more.

Apologize. I didn't know I was hijacking a thread. I have never done anything like this before

You might get better answers if you create a separate thread instead of hijacking this one.

Wow that was kinda rude. Depending on your doctors instructions At 7 Weeks you will be eating a large variety of foods. You won't be on fresh veggies probably. But on a cruise you should have no problem at all getting your Protein. Lots to choose from on the smorgasbords! Make sure and take your supplements with you and even pack some pre-mixed Protein shakes. I love cruises! You will have so much fun.

And don't worry about posting in the wrong thread. For some reason there are people that get weirdly territorial and snappy but for the most part, lots of people are happy to help!!

@@maggie409 - It wasn't rude, it was honest. Actually hijacking threads is rude (which I do not think was the pother poster's intent BTW). However since you're worried about her feelings, also know I sent her a PM offering to assist her in creating a thread so she can get answers.

I had people close to me say something around 40-50 pounds down, but once I hit around 75-80, I started getting comments from acquaintances.

I think sometimes people notice but are afraid to say anything. I think until it's really dramatic they are afraid they may offend you. The only people who have said anything to me are the people Who know.