Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee after surgery?

So my social worker told me I could never enjoy coffee again. How long after surgery did you get to enjoy a cup of coffee? I only put cream and Splenda in my coffee

2 weeks after my surgery, I tried a cup.,,tasted horrible.

Then, couple of days later, my husband had a cup and it smelled wonderful,,. I tasted it, it was great.

I had a cup every morning for a few days. Now I can have 2 cups, no problem.

I have read about other people having coffee as well, just do not abuse it.

Both the surgeons I consulted were strict on no coffee for a period of time immediately following surgery.

The surgeon I ultimately went with allows two cups a day after the first 6 weeks. I also like Splenda and cream in mine.

My sister had bypass15 years ago. She is a big fan of her daily trips to Starbucks. I was talking to her on the cellphone yesterday and she was waiting in their drive-thru.

I was glad to know that I wouldn't have to fight for coffee.< /p>

My surgeon is very strict on coffee. She doesn't want me drinking regular or Decaf. The other surgeons in their practice however are ok with decaf. I guess the caffeine in the regular puts you at risk for kidney stones. I will publicly admit that I do have a cup of decaf a few days a week with splenda and skim milk. It's also the time of the year when the good lattes, pumpkin, mint ect, will be emerging. I plan on trying one made with decaf and skim milk and see how it goes...lol

you'll find a lot of differences out there between surgeon's offices. Mine said no coffee at all the first three months, Decaf OK starting at the three-month mark, caffeine OK after six months, but only one cup (of caffeinated) a day. No limitations on decaf.

My nutritionist says Decaf OK during full liquids and going forward. They prefer no regular coffee, but if you do, limit it to 1 cup and can start during soft foods phase. I've read where you should drink extra Water when you have regular coffee because the caffeine can assist in causing dehydration. I am 4 weeks post op and will drink decaf maybe twice a week and I cant drink more than a cup or my tummy feels icky. I did get a great coffee at Starbucks yesterday, brewed decaf with two pumps of SF cinnamon dolce flavoring. I added some non-fat milk and a little cream.

10 years and one month out. I drink coffee daily. Usually one cup with splenda and flavored creamer. I saw a few people concerned about caffeine. I was a bad diet soda junky up until about 4 months ago. I have now switched to mostly tea and Water. There is very little that I can't eat or drink now that I used to eat or drink before surgery. I just eat a lot less.

The hospital has a social worker. She does psych evaluations and she could stop my surgery at any time. I think she's a little crazy, uptight, and ready for retirement.

coffee not only is a diuretic but also is very acidic and can cause problems with your stomach healing. I can have Decaf but probably won't everyday as I am still in the healing phase.

They brought me Decaf coffee the morning after surgery.

My doc says 8oz a day is the limit, but to be honest I never even get close to that. I tried to give it up completely, but that left me with horrible headaches, so now I have a 2oz or so with some vanilla premier I'm it just to kick the headaches in the butt. I don't crave more yet, but I'm only 6 days out