Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks and on Liquid Diet

Hi Everyone,

I am a 43 year old man getting DS in supposedly 2 weeks (still waiting on confirmation from Insurance). Not many people know what I am doing in a few weeks and I must admit I am a bit scared. I am making a point of attending a support group tomorrow night. I have needed this surgery for well over 10 years and now as it comes so close to the date I am a bit nervous.

I think my biggest hang up is being so restricted later in life when it comes to diet. I know I need the surgery but my brain wants to trick me. I am sure everyone felt the same way right?

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. 43 years old, started at 427lbs. Feared the social impact of having to change my drinking and eating habits. Had surgery on 6/11. Have had many situations since where I have had to not participate like I used to, and make up excuses for those who noticed. Those times have been tough and do have a large element of regret.

But you have to focus on social aspect that do not revolve around food and drink.

I may have moments of WTF did I do, but 3 months in and 94lbs down help me quickly get over it.

I put off the DS for years with the same doubts, but it has been a life saver and I only wish I had done it back in my 30s.

Good luck!

Hi,

I was incredibly nervous, excited, nuts, before my DS. I locked myself out of my apt. twice the week before surgery.

"I think my biggest hang up is being so restricted later in life when it comes to diet...." Why do you think you'll be restricted? I'm not. The DS is the least restrictive (food-wise). I go out to eat (and get 1-2 more meals with a doggy bag). I eat fast food. I eat junk. I just do it differently than before when I binged and binged and binged.

BTW, no one (other than my immediate family and physicians) know I had the DS. No one. Not friends or colleagues. You can tell if you like or you can keep it to yourself. It's your choice. I had and have reasons why I don't tell. It's really a very personal choice. I pay it forward online and go to a support meeting 3-4x a year. Even 10+ years out, it all still helps. I can help others and get help when I have an issue.

I am completely amazed. 90 + lbs in 3 months???? That is awesome.

Keeping it off for 10 years you look amazing.

Thank you both so much for replying. I feel like a wuss at the moment. I am excited to go to my first suport group meeting tomorrow!

Thank you :)

To clarify, 13 of those pounds were due to the pre-op liquid diet, which the doctor shortened up to 2 weeks by moving up my surgery. Originally wanted me to be on the pre-op for 5 weeks, but then he scheduled a vacation. Moved me up so he would be around for the critical 2 weeks post op in case of complications. There were none.

I have heard from a lot of people that you can eat as you like (just much smaller quantities) with the DS,but until I get to my goal I plan to be, and have been very strict with sticking to the diet given by doctor. Basically no sugar, low fat and minimal carbs.

I am very strict when it comes to dieting so I think that is my downfall and why I am doing the surgery. Strict diet for 2 months en binge for 3 months. I am really looking for some of the hunger "pangs" to go away. Pounds lost are pounds lost. You must feel amazing!

I had my surgery 6/8. down 77 lbs. I feel great! Went from a size 24 down to a 20 (loosely). I still have my little cravings for things like ice cream, popcorn, chips...(it's funny, I never snacked like I do now) I find myself not being able to eat very much at all, and eating slowly I'm still working on. And when I don't eat slowly and take time to chew, my tummy tells me and so does my throat! I end up in the bathroom heaving and throwing up. When I eat anything that's too fatty, including too much sugar, my body tells me that too (very loose stools). This surgery is very restrictive as well as malabsorptive. I can only eat 1/2 cup of low carb veggie and maybe 1/2 cup of Protein (meat). Just to think before the surgery, I was eating an entire plate of food and looking for more!! I've learned so much about myself. I know the difference now about real hunger and just wanting to eat (emotional). Good luck to you both!

@Postop OOOOOO MYYYYYY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was and am sooo worried about gaining it all back and im only 3 weeks out. See we all need help on this journey, I cant believe what a food aholic I am/was/were/ and I too have wtf did I do...but when I go on the scale....when I walk my stairs without gasping for air.......when I start shopping out of the PLUS stores....yaeeeeeeee us all!

I must say I am quite anxious. I started the LD a few days early rather than binging up until the drop dead date. I am now 100% confirmed for 9/28. There was an issue with insurance but that has been resolved. I am going to my 1st support group meeting tonight.

I did go to bed last night with a bit of a "hungry" fet I am pretty sure a lot of that is more mental. I am definitely in need of support and would love to keep hearing from everyone. I did speak to my Pastor at church and asked that he pray for me as well.

Getting excited!

Hey, thanks. You will, too.

Any more questions or any paperwork you want (I have everything my surgeons & DS nutrit. gave us) just let me know.

...Keeping it off for 10 years you look amazing.

Thank you both so much for replying. I feel like a wuss at the moment. I am excited to go to my first suport group meeting tomorrow!

Thank you :)

Hey, thanks. You've just started your great journey. You'll love all the NSV like (you mentioned) walking up stairs, parking all the way across from the supermarket just so you can walk, housework without tiring quickly or aching, shopping wherever you want, passing a store window and smiling...

@Postop OOOOOO MYYYYYY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was and am sooo worried about gaining it all back and im only 3 weeks out. See we all need help on this journey, I cant believe what a food aholic I am/was/were/ and I too have wtf did I do...but when I go on the scale....when I walk my stairs without gasping for air.......when I start shopping out of the PLUS stores....yaeeeeeeee us all!

Edited by Postop