Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Star Jones weight gain (80 lbs)

I really wish the media would use common sense before saying stuff like this. We all remember what Starr Jones looked like before. She still looks great! She may have regained a little but 80 pounds. I think not. Our bodies adjust to what's comfortable and that may not be a size 5. Honestly, for most of us we're happy just being out of the plus sizes and not shopping at specialty stores. Weight gain is preventable but you definitely have to figure out a plan that works for you and for some that may mean a little weight gain to learn what not to do.

Compared to where she started before WLS, she still looks great. However, compared to how extremely skinny she got, I'd say she gained at least 50 pounds back. She thrust herself into the media, and we are looking at her and talking about her, so perhaps they (the media) are just doing their jobs.

Out of the blue I looked up Star Jones to see how she was doing, since her successful gastric bypass. First news headline I see " Disaster after weight loss surgery" picture of Star from every angle wearing a white one piece bathing suit. I guess she had gained back 80 lbs and many articles ridiculed her for her weight gain. Now, I am not a fan nor hater... I just wanted to see how WLS can be maintained. I am 80% committed to having the gastric sleeve and my worst nightmare is gaining the weight back few years down the road and for people to make snarky comments. I feel bad for Star since she was so successful with her procedure and I am not completely sure why the restriction is eliminated with WLS after couple of years. Anybody else share the same fear?

I had the band. Was down to a normal bmi and totally regained after complications. I think it is worse than having never lost the weight! On my way down again though after sleeve but I'll never forget how horrible the regain was!

Edited by Bndtoslv

She wrote an article for Glamour. She definitely had bypass, not the band. But she had heart surgery in 2010 and her weight gain has been since that surgery. Maybe she's on steroids or other meds affecting her weight regain.

Hmmm I think she looks like an average 52 year old in a one piece on a beach?? I peraonally think she looked HORRIBLE in the other pictures! She was severely underweight and looked severely malnourished. Perhaps she could lose 10-20 pounds?? But she definitely doesn't look as if she's gained or needs to lose 80 lbs!!! This world we live in is pathetic!!! Goodness!!!

I looked into this a little-- I don't think she quite gained 80 pounds. But how can ANYONE not gain SOME (5-15 pounds??) weight back after weight loss surgery? We were all significantly overweight. Thats why were are on this website. Our bodies always want to go back to being fat. Always! The first 6 months after weight loss surgery we are only able to get in MAYBE 300-800 cals in a day. After a few years we can get a LOT more in... 2000+ cals easily for some including myself. So after the first year our metabolism is totally rolling at snails pace-- death trap! So gaining a few pounds is not hard. Losing the weight was the easy part. Keeping it off is the harder part. Just like after the countless diets we all tried pre-sleeve or pre-bypass. Yes, its way easier post op but we gotta keep at it! My life saver for keeping weight off/ not gaining is lifting weights.

She had surgery like friggen 12 or 13 years ago. I think she's done quite well maintaining her weight for that long. Hell, I've seen people gain it all back in less than 2 years.

When I saw my surgeon for my 2nd post op visit he told me to aim for about 150lbs, which is what I had estimated as a "dream weight" and had on a ticker, until I removed it recently. I told him I would be happy with 160 -175 range and in my mind I am was pushing for that...then he said around two years post some put about 15% back on, so 150 is what I need to strive for NOW. I asked him why the 15% and he said it seems to be a trend and to stay on top of it so it doesn't get out of control.

I get that as a life long yo-yo dieter. That's why this is a LIFETIME commitment and ONLY a tool!

I don't think it's the restriction that is lifted.

I believe it is more psychological.

I am tending to slip back into eating old habits

or not to stick to my diet as closely the farther out I get.

My fear of regain keeps me on track.

But I don't have the social pressures or the food temptations in my life

that others may experience.

I'm sure that Star Jones had all kinds of tempting foods laying around her workplace.

Plus the constant scrutiny about her weight probably weighs heavily on her mind.

Or she may feel like she does not deserve to have lost the weight.

Get my free eBook - The Top 10 WLS Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

I am pretty sure the white bathing suit picture is her before surgery..................

I don't understand how fat shaming a celebrity is encouraging. I thought this board was for encouraging people in their WLS efforts. Now we have a post discussing some trashy tabloid photo of a woman who has her own public struggles with weight.

<_< :( :huh:

I don't understand how fat shaming a celebrity is encouraging. I thought this board was for encouraging people in their WLS efforts. Now we have a post discussing some trashy tabloid photo of a woman who has her own public struggles with weight.

<_<:(:huh:

I am sorry you felt like that was my intention. That definitely was not why I posted this thread. I am pre op and was researching maintenance photos and came across the her picture. Please don't feel like I am bashing anyone (who am I to bash anyone about weight!!) I wish nothing but success to all on this journey!! :-)

Them rush skinny biiatches need to get themselves sleeved! Or re sleeved! I am sure they will have it figured out on the next one

<_< :( :huh:

. Ah c'mon, they can fat shame me for being Poor and fat! Without the Celebes, I really don't know anyone can have fun with. Speaking of which, I hope Leo's DaD bod, is just a part in a movie