Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin chafing

Hello,

I am 16 months post op. I have lost and maintained a total weight loss of 145 lbs. I went from 275 to 130. Sorry if this is TMI but I am hoping someone can relate and give me tips. I have loose skin on the back of my butt that hang like curtains! They are chafing badly and feel very scaly and have almost caloussed. I have put cortisone creams And all kinds of lotions. Mostly the area stays dry but that is the main problem. It so dry it stays irritated. Any pointer would be great!

This is exactly what i an afraid of happening. I am at 265 and am hoping with wls that i get down to about 130-135. I keep hearing stay hydrated and exercise to avoid it happening, but what do you do once its already happened or is hydration and excersize alone arent enough? I dont think kaiser covers the skin removal so i would be SOL here, tryinv to stay ahead of the game.

I would talk to my primary doctor, if it's causing irritation and interfering with daily activities, insurance may cover the skin removal.

No surgery yet. But I like the Monistat Chafing Relief powder Gel. It provides excellent prevention and relief from chafing on my chub rub. I find Walmart usually offers the best price.

My Dr said to leave any raw skin untreated and to have them take pictures. Once you have documented health issues related to excess skin, most insurance companies will cover skin removal.

Outside of the suggestions to document the issue, which is a good idea because your insurance might cover the removal, I used to get an irritation under the skin flap on my stomach and under my boobs. I used deodorant that was roll on (powder-based solid, not gel) and it not only prevented the chafing, but limited sweating, and I smelled delightful as well, lol.

Even though I am now at goal weight and have had all of my plastics procedures done, I still sometimes use it on my upper thighs. They don't really rub anymore, but it minimizes sweatiness in the summer and prevents the little bit of chafing issues I have left if I am wearing a dress.

I do insurance and I will honestly say that unless the extra skin is around the belly, insurance looks at it as cosmetic. As a nurse, I will tell you that anything moist you add to it can cause yeast infections so you really have to be careful. I use deodorant for all my extra skin for yeast and chafing.

No surgery yet. But I like the Monistat Chafing Relief Powder Gel. It provides excellent prevention and relief from chafing on my chub rub. I find Walmart usually offers the best price.

Monistic chafing relief powder gel is the BEST! Ladies you can mix a little with your foundation and your face feels baby soft all day. I have trouble finding it so I just order in bulk from Amazon. But I walk 3-6 miles a shift and my thighs would feel like raw meat until I discovered this. Now my inner thigh skin is never irritated and the skin has healed and looks so much better.

I would talk to my primary doctor, if it's causing irritation and interfering with daily activities, insurance may cover the skin removal.

Take pictures and make notes each an every time you have to go to the doctor or have an occurrence. This is your evidence to use if/when you petition your insurance company for skin removal surgery. My ortho already said if I need it he will write me a letter.