Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine - Thoughts?

I'm 16 months post op and still hanging on to the last 20 lbs. Since its been months since the scale has moved, my surgeon suggested I go on Phentermine to drop the last 20 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? What are your thoughts and experiences on it?

I would not do it, I tried taking that stuff for a while a few years ago,and it made my heart race, and after a few days it felt like my body was buzzing and I couldn't sleep. It can have some bad side effects.

Honestly? If it helps you get that last 20 off, then go for it. Just remember that as soon as you discontinue taking it, appetite comes back and you may regain any weight lost unless you continue with your healthy eating habits.

I've taken it before and been fairly successful, losing 45 pounds before I decided I didn't want to take it anymore. I think I'd been taking it for like 6 months, and I'd heard prolonged use wasn't ideal. Of course I gained all the weight back, and then some. It definitely curbs the appetite and gives you energy, although the effects do wear off over time. And the jittery side effect wears off after a few days, too.

Wouldn't touch the stuff personally, but if that 20 is important to you make sure you are closely monitored by your doctor.

I was on that years ago on and off. I almost wasnt able to have the surgery because of the lasting effects it has left on my heart, my health. Maybe try the herbal brand. It is less expensive and safer. Just go online. The name of it is almost the same. It is worth a try. I cannot believe your dr. suggested you take that. I now have a heart condition that will never go away. It is not worth the 20 lbs.

isn't that one of the components of phenfen? (Fenphen? Phen-fen?....whatever)

I had no problem with it and did very well with it in the past but have heard of many people having issues some serious. To me no big deal, actually have them now (was going to try again before I decided on surgery) it def does work but again some have serious issues.

If you decide to take it just make sure if you have any affects you tell your doctor right away to get off it. Mainly I have heard people have rapid heartbeat

yes the legal part of phen phen

Edited by Leesa926

My experience with phentermine is that it worked to cut the appetite and help me drop a lot of weight. Only thing is that once I stopped it (not advised to take for a long period of time) I ended up bigger than I was to start with. This was a roller coaster ride I went on more than once. The ultimate result was always the same. I would be very careful and caution with it.

Agreed. I took it as more of a kick start while on weight watchers

I took it for 9 months. Lost 40 lbs in 4 months and then the effectiveness wore off. I stopped taking it and regained the 40 plus 5 in just 3 months. It honestly wasn't worth it to me because all it did was fuel my depression after regaining the weight. Please be careful.

Took for like 2 months and lost around 30 pounds. Began having horrible heart palpitations and felt weak as if I was going to pass out. Stopped it and gained it all back plus 5 #'s.

Great first few weeks then ended up with heart issues. Wouldn't go there again.

I have a 12 month program and have used it (on and off) while waiting on surgery. I've lost over 40lbs with its help. There are def side effect, but I made it work.

Watch out for high blood pressure, dry mouth, fatigue, insomnia and racing heart and irritability. But it dose work. I didn't like the side effects. I was a cat on steroids.

I've been on that prior to sleeve surgery. My DH has been on it and lost a significant amount! Go for it!