Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things I didn't expect my first month post-op

I find it interesting they are telling you to take all these liquid meds just before your surgery when they advise not to have any liquids 12 hours prior. Also I don't think one night is enough, so if you feel you need more time, be vocal about it. I didn't even have Protein Drink until the end of the day on my day after surgery. I hate the way the healthcare system tries to rush people out, just so we end up right back. But I'm hoping it will be different in your case and you go home feeling fine.

They didn't tell me to take the liquid meds before surgery. Those are for after the surgery. Prior to surgery I will take 1 pill with only enough Water as it takes to swallow it. Then they do the surgery 2 hours later. After the surgery they put a patch behind my ear to prevent nausea and have the liquid medicines in case I am still nauseous. They gave me the prescriptions prior to my surgery so I could have them all filled before surgery and I would have the pill I need to take before surgery and they STRESSED I can only have a tiny sip of Water.< /p>

Gotcha!

FYI this is amberc25, the original poster, but I changed my name for personal reasons...it's me though guys!

I was sleeved August 17th, and my has it been a journey. Things I didn't expect were

1. Week 1-3 felt like a breeze yes there was pain which was oddly taken away by tylenol. I did manage to maintain my Fluid intake and Protein intake I felt optimistic.

2. Week 3 there might be set backs. I didn't know I was going to get terrible nausea and vomiting. I felt weak. I couldn't drink or eat much.

3. I didn't know how easily you can end up at the hospital. I staid there for almost a week trying to not get dehydrated.

4. Acid reflux = the death of me. But Zofran is currently my bff.

5. Be careful with rapid weight loss (the irony) they found I had gallstones.

6. I was always a ice with Water type of person but now that I can just have sips, coke seems so appealing. But mind over matter, it's hard at times.

7. I agree with everyone, the Fluid intake and Protein intake is really hard but it's getting better. It really is a full time job trying to eat/sip sip every second.

8. Personal wise I didn't think I would need to take some time off from school but Here I am. Didn't know that would happen.

Thanks for posting things guys, it's good to hear how similar we are.

I was sleeved August 17th, and my has it been a journey. Things I didn't expect were

1. Week 1-3 felt like a breeze yes there was pain which was oddly taken away by tylenol. I did manage to maintain my Fluid intake and Protein intake I felt optimistic.

2. Week 3 there might be set backs. I didn't know I was going to get terrible nausea and vomiting. I felt weak. I couldn't drink or eat much.

3. I didn't know how easily you can end up at the hospital. I staid there for almost a week trying to not get dehydrated.

6. I was always a ice with Water type of person but now that I can just have sips, coke seems so appealing. But mind over matter, it's hard at times.

7. I agree with everyone, the Fluid intake and Protein intake is really hard but it's getting better. It really is a full time job trying to eat/sip sip every second.

8. Personal wise I didn't think I would need to take some time off from school but Here I am. Didn't know that would happen.

I'm in the hospital as we speak and my surgery was 9/4. It's the nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that are killing me. I can't do the zolfran under the tongue because it makes me nauseous. They gave me the pills to cut and swallow but I can hardly keep down the Water to take that. I'm waiting to be transferred back to the hospital where I had my surgery, Cedar Sinai. Didn't expect to be in the hospital 3-4 times within the first 3 weeks. This has been psychologically draining but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude as much as I can.

Prayers for you to get home and on the road to recovery soon, Sleeveme.

@@SleeveMe247 and @@belaby18 so sorry you're having such problems. I hope you get well soon and can start experiencing the benefits of the sleeve.

sleeveme247 and belaby18, hope you are soon feeling better and on your way to a speedy recovery. Sleeveme, yes a positive attitude will help you a lot!! Stay focused on the prize!

This is one of my most favorite post thus far! I so love the honesty from everyone.

I am 12 days out, so yes I am a "newbie". The things that surprised me are:

1. I CANNOT digest Gummy Vitamins. I ate two on day 6 and OMG I :o thought someone was

cutting my inside out! No more for me.

2. I have lost so much weight, I was scared but I meet my surgeon today, reassured it was normal

3. I have BRAIN energy! I wake up wired! I am like...BING! Up and ready to roll. It's kinda strange, I

know I am not strong in my body, but yet not weak, just very very alert

4. Today was my first day of "soft foods", I ate cottage cheese and avocado mixed up.... YUMMY :P

5. Zero complications thus far, tolerating everything okay. Have not tossed my Cookies

6. BUT I DID Day (toss cookies) of surgery, it was a horrible night. I had no ideal about the dye.

Horrible :wacko:

The pain in your shoulder after surgery

The dehydration I felt after surgery

How great it felt to walk

Not being able to sleep on my side for several weeks

How hard it is to get the Water in daily

How delicious refried Beans could be lol

Undeserving, those refried Beans are next to heaven the first few times! A little grated cheese and MMMMMM! After a week, not so wonderful! LOL

I am at week 5 now and still struggle to get over 50 oz of Water a day.

Good luck and drink on! lol

This is one of my most favorite post thus far! I so love the honesty from everyone.

I am 12 days out, so yes I am a "newbie". The things that surprised me are:

1. I CANNOT digest Gummy Vitamins. I ate two on day 6 and OMG I :o thought someone was

cutting my inside out! No more for me.

2. I have lost so much weight, I was scared but I meet my surgeon today, reassured it was normal

3. I have BRAIN energy! I wake up wired! I am like...BING! Up and ready to roll. It's kinda strange, I

know I am not strong in my body, but yet not weak, just very very alert

4. Today was my first day of "soft foods", I ate cottage cheese and avocado mixed up.... YUMMY :P

5. Zero complications thus far, tolerating everything okay. Have not tossed my Cookies

6. BUT I DID Day (toss cookies) of surgery, it was a horrible night. I had no ideal about the dye.

Horrible :wacko:

What dye are you referring too and what about it? I heard nothing about dye.

I like the thought of Brain energy as mine is seriously failing me.

That is great you can see soft foods now and congratulations on the nice weight loss.

Yea, I want to know aobut the dye, too.

The dye solution they put into your stomach to check for leaks after surgery. Don't worry your still under.

I'm in the hospital as we speak and my surgery was 9/4. It's the nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that are killing me. I can't do the zolfran under the tongue because it makes me nauseous. They gave me the pills to cut and swallow but I can hardly keep down the Water to take that. I'm waiting to be transferred back to the hospital where I had my surgery, Cedar Sinai. Didn't expect to be in the hospital 3-4 times within the first 3 weeks. This has been psychologically draining but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude as much as I can.

Man, hope you guys feel better soon. It sucks to be so excited about a life change and then be brought down with setbacks. May I ask when the complications started? I keep thinking that this has been way too easy so far because other then being tired and an allergy to the degraderm sp? adhesive, I have had no issues. I will be 2 weeks post op on Thursday.

Hi everyone, I use to be the biggest coffee lover in the world, I can't stand hot coffee now, I can have low fat ice coffee but nothing warm at all. I could never drink cold Water or anything with ice in, now that's all I want, a slushy or water with lots and lots of ice!