Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC - July 07 chat

Okay, so hopefully I am doing this right since it is a new thread. I am less than four weeks away from my bandiversary. I am 50 pounds down and would still like to lose 30 pounds. I will get another fill after next week since I have not lost any weight since early March. I was slightly unfilled in April after being uncomfortable for 2 months but I think I need to learn to adjust to it. I will likely have to have knee surgery on my other knee in the next three weeks since I believe I tore the meniscus on my left knee. This will put a damper on my exercise plans for the next 6 weeks since I won't be able to do that much. Thank goodness the right knee which was operated on last October is just fine. We just came back from vacation - Viriginia, Maryland and DC and I did just great. We walked, hiked and rode horses for over 2 hours - none of which I could have done last summer. No pain whatsoever, and my back felt great. I felt 10 years younger and such freedom! However, one morning I woke up and felt a swelling on the back of my left knee and that is when I knew I had injured it, but it didn't hurt much and I was still able to go all over.

I love how I look in clothes and folks tell me I look like I only need to lose about 15 pounds but I want to keep on going. I remember Dr. Spivak told me to expect 18 months to lose the weight and that in all to only expect to lose about 40 pounds so I feel I am really ahead of the curve. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat just to have my life and health back. Hope everyone else is doing well. Robin

HI! Wow, no one has chimed in yet? It's the 11th people!

I wish I had better news. I am having a rough time. I feel hungry a lot of the time and haven't lost weight for months. I was too tight and had an unfill a few weeks ago. Then yesterday I got a fill putting me back in the 'comfortably restricted' range. Having that unfil was tough -- I ate like CRAZY!

Overall, I'm disappointed, both with myself and the band. I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer, you guys. I'm just being honest. I've been looking into other surgeries more and more. The restriction drives me nuts -- the unpredicatability -- the way I've started to "fear" food. Social panic about PBing and sliming (it's happened a lot). It's just been frustrating. I've trying to stay positive...and I'm so happy for those of you doing so well!

I love my surgery and the restriction because I have maintained my weight loss easily over the last four months and still enjoy almost all the food I liked before banding. There is no fear that I will ever go back to what I was. I don't miss the huge meals and can eat certain foods but in much smaller portions, like steak. I love being a smaller size, clothes shopping for a size 12, and the compliments I've been getting as well as my ability to do everything physically without sweating up a storm! I would like to lose 30 pounds though and I struggle with whether to go tighter because it really restricts my intake and I do like to eat. I met a lady recently who lost 50 pounds about 2 years and with only one restriction. She never went back for another because she liked to eat too much to get more restricted. However, she still had at least another 100 pounds to lose. I understand now how difficult it is to get past a certain comfort zone, and that I am really at a place where increased exercise is absolutely necessary for the weight to really come off. In other words I think I am hitting the hardest part of the program now and I really have to buckle down. The band has made it easier to lose but now I have to really help it more than it has helped me. Does that make sense? Robin

HI! Wow, no one has chimed in yet? It's the 11th people!

I wish I had better news. I am having a rough time. I feel hungry a lot of the time and haven't lost weight for months. I was too tight and had an unfill a few weeks ago. Then yesterday I got a fill putting me back in the 'comfortably restricted' range. Having that unfil was tough -- I ate like CRAZY!

Overall, I'm disappointed, both with myself and the band. I'm sorry to be Debbie Downer, you guys. I'm just being honest. I've been looking into other surgeries more and more. The restriction drives me nuts -- the unpredicatability -- the way I've started to "fear" food. Social panic about PBing and sliming (it's happened a lot). It's just been frustrating. I've trying to stay positive...and I'm so happy for those of you doing so well!

Hello ABC bandsters! I have been absent from you all for so long! How have you all been doing?

I have had some struggles, but feeling great. I am feeling like a normal person now. Although I wish I wasn't obsessed with the scale or everything that goes in my mouth. Anyone else feel that way?

Hello everyone, I have not been on for over a year. I have been frustrated about the slower then expected weight loss, just trying to figure this band thing out and how it fits in my body and my life. It certainly keeps me from gorging down that burger but what DOES go down is the stuff that I shouldn't eat....like chips, candy, ice cream.

So, I just went for my anuual check-up and I have lost 33lbs in a year. I'm dissappointed but the doctor wasn't. She said it was good and the office staff kept commenting on how great I looked. So I feel re-dedicated now to following the rules to get the rest off and got filled up to 2cc.

Hopefully, I can make my goal by the end of this year:rolleyes:

Jewels, exact same situation here. ~30lbs and I'm discouraged. I think the band is a great tool to prevent OVER-eating -- but regualr eating is still an issue. And unfortunately with more restriction, comes difficulty getting in the healthy dense Proteins. Statistically, losing 30% of my excess weight is considered succesful. But it sure doesn't feel like it. I have been looking into other surgeries -- I just don't feel like the band is a powerful enough "tool" for me.

I am so sorry Jewels and Pelo. I am sure that you can make it work for you both! You made a committment with the surgery, and it can be done.

We all make bad food choices once in awhile, we have to pick ourself up and not do it again. Good luck.

If I can help either of you let me know!

Okay folks in just a few days some us of will be celebrating anniversaries. Mine is August 2nd and I can't believe it has been a whole year. I am thrilled to have lost 55 pounds but I have been stuck at this weight since late March and that is okay. I will have another fill next week to push start the process to lose that last 30 pounds. I have been astonished to have met several people along the way who have only had ONE fill, lost alot of weight, but not met their goal because they loved food so much and some of their old habits that they didn't want any further restriction. While I have had three fills and have loved losing every pound that is now permanent history, I do not want to settle for my old lifestyle. I love food too and can nibble on the things I still enjoy but that size 8/10 still looms out in the near distance, I can almost taste it and I am not going to settle for a size 12/14.

HOW ARE ALL THE OTHER AUGUST 2006 BANDSTERS DOING??? IT IS TIME TO CHECK IN EVEN IF YOU HAVE MET YOUR GOAL!!! GIVE THE REST OF US SOME INSPIRATION AND LET US HERE YOUR NUMBERS, YOUR DREAMS, ETC. Robin

Hey ya'll,

Robin I know what you mean. I'm right behind you on anniv. date (08/07/06 was my date). As of today I have lost 66 pounds!:whoo:I am only 20 pounds from my goal weight. I hasn't been easy though. I have my moments when I would just love to pig out like I used to. I have to refocus and have a cry or get mad. I now make myself actually feel my emotions instead of stuffing food to suppress them. It took me a year to get here and a lot of soul searching. Not a whole lot of support except for ya'll, my hubby & kids. I did go through a period of not losing but I made myself write down what I was eating & that was what made the difference.

I now am wearing a 12! I can get a 10 on but it is still very tight! I thank you all for the support and let's be there for each other!:)

Diane,

I already did - look for Abc- August 2007 chat