Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buying the wrong size?

Does anyone else find themselves continuing to buy clothes that are too big? I always think they look ok in the dressing room....but when I get home I realize I should have gotten a smaller size. Am I just used to baggy clothes? It seems strange to wear tighter clothes. I started out a 24 and am buying 18's but probably need 16's. How do I get outside of my own head? :)

It's tough. I'm not sure but I can relate. I was wearing a pair of size 22W pants and as I walked across the yard (thank goodness I was in the back of the house!) they fell down to my ankles. My 20W's are loose, and I could probably wear an 18 or 18W but for some reason I still put the 20's on.

I think the brain takes a while to catch up. Sometimes the only way I can tell I've lost weight is in a picture or by trying something on. If you figure out the answer, let me know :)

I usually buy a size up that is looser cuz I know if I get ones that fit good I'll gain and they won't fit in a month. Makes me sad that is how I'm living but I'm ready to change all that.

Does anyone else find themselves continuing to buy clothes that are too big? I always think they look ok in the dressing room....but when I get home I realize I should have gotten a smaller size. Am I just used to baggy clothes? It seems strange to wear tighter clothes. I started out a 24 and am buying 18's but probably need 16's. How do I get outside of my own head? :)

Yup... I have this issue. I'm just getting into 18's, but since 20's don't look abnormally big, I'll still buy those, and then in no time they *are* abnormally big. I need to force myself to try on more in the store, I'm used to only ever trying what I know fits. I feel like I live half my life in the dressing rooms now though.

I have learned this lesson the hard way but I will say it took me a while and some money!

I now wait until my current size is slightly lose and then I buy pants one size down. They are very tight but I know when I drop 10 pounds they will fit me great.

Last week I was shocked when I went to try on a new packer sideline jacket. All the stuff I got in January I am swimming in including a brand New Jersey.

Ugh! Anyway, I figured I would need a large instead of an xl. I tried on the large, too big. I tried on the medium thinking it would be too small.

It fit perfect! Part of me was thinking maybe I should be thinking about a small but just could not get my head around that.

Same thing with Victoria's Secret yoga pants. I bought extra large because there is no way, I also bought larges. The xl are too big and the large is even slightly baggy.

I returned them both and ordered a medium.

By the way, I started in a 26 for tops and a 24 for bottoms. Wow! I am now in a 12 comfortably.

I actually bought a pair of pants two sizes too small in May. Because and this was a BIG because, I was able to get them on and my sister (who does NOT know and will not know if I can help it) said that I shouldn't get them, they don't fit. Guess what, now THEY FIT!

I've had to give away some of my favorite clothes because my daughter told me I looked like I had a floppy diaper on under them. Yep, loving my sleeve!

I started out wearing size 36 - I still have one pair of pants in that size. I used to put them on about once a week and run to the mirror just to see. Wearing size 16/18 these days, which isn't really all that small but I can buy clothes in a regular store now - big milestone for me. Nothing fits for long. Funny part is that my feet even shrunk. Isn't it kind of awesome to always have wardrobe issues because your clothes are just too big?

I bought a pair of jeans yesterday, size 16, a size smaller than what I thought I was wearing. I anticipated in another 2 weeks they would fit. Well, when I got home, I tried them on. They are snug but I was able to zip them without incident.

oops ladies room, my bad.

I have a wonderful consignment shop in my area where I have built wonderful relationships with the salespeople. They are the first ones to tell me whether something is a good size and more importantly, whether it really looks good on me! They have become my wardrobe coaches. As I shrink out of clothes, I return them to get credit on future purchases.

Eventually you too will see what everyone else sees and start buying the size that fits. But it takes a long time to get in that head space. I'm there sometimes and other times still see myself at 286 lbs. Very big mental adjustment-probably lifelong. Keep up you're good work!

I just cleaned out all my drawers and my closet. I now have 6 shirts, 6 pair of capris that fit. Also I bought some more capris (3pair) a size smaller. I will not buy anything else till these are just way to big. I work from home so it is easy for me to do laundry and wear the same clothes. I love being able to buy clothes anywhere!!

It takes time. I've been maintaining for about a year now and still don't know what size is right unless I try it on and check in a three-way mirror.

Even yesterday, I had on a size 10 dress and thought it was a little too big. I couldn't find an 8 but tried on the 6...and it fit fine. Remember...sizes will vary with style, material, and manufacturer. If you think it's OK in the dressing room, don't take off the tags till you try it at home in case you need to bring items back.

I had the same issue this past weekend. I have gone down from a 5x to 2x and a 32 pants to a 24. I went to the local Kmart this weekend and saw some 4x shirts that were totally cute and only 2.00 a piece, so I bought them. I also bought a pair of 4x capris because they were on clearance for 3.00. Went home and put them on to see how they fit and they were wayyy to big for me. I told myself now even though they were on clearance that I shouldnt buy them. Its a battle everyday because I still see the bigger girl in the mirror. I know this will go away with time.. I guess I have new pajamas now lol

I am 2 years and 4 months out. When I fold my laundry, I still look at my pants and shorts with wonderment because they look so freaking small (size 20 to size 8). It kills me because they are loose, not baggy -- but loose/slouchy. It's a much better look than when I was actively losing weight and wearing things tighter because I could.

It's a mind fluck for sure. ;)