Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain after Lap Band Removal

Hi there:

I also had my band out 4 days ago. I feel quite alot of relief that it is gone. I am also going through the emotions of being scared about it also. How will I know when to stop eating? I had my first solid meal yesterday, which was some Pasta and garlic bread. It felt fine going down at the time, but I must have really pushed my limit because I was pb'ing all night. I was in alot of discomfort right until the next morning. I am wondering if the stoma takes some time to go back to its original size and shape. Has anyone had experience with this? I guess I will not be eating a large meal like that again.

HI!

It was my experience that it took a while for everything to relax and open up again.

I stayed with soft foods for almost a week, then gradually added a variety.

I still focused on eating a small amount, though. You can always eat some more, later, if you get hungry!

I think a lot of us have no clue about how to know when to stop eating. It's helped me to continue using a small plate.

It might also help to find a good rule to follow, for instance see what a "serving" of that particular food is and serve yourself half - for now (knowing you can have more if that is truly not enough) then wait 20 minutes before deciding whether or not it was enough for you.

I know sometimes our mealtime doesn't include an extra 20 minutes to experiment (like at work...) but you could maybe try this at dinner time. It's at least an idea that may generate other ideas that could help you :)

Having had my band out, too, I am in an on-going struggle with my weight.

I understand what you mean about the emotions coming up. I was so grateful to have the band removed, yet felt kind of an "aloneness" without it.

I wish I had stuck with my exercise routine - which was walking 2 miles a day. (a month after having it removed I had an injury that prevented me from continuing, but I didn't start back up after it was resolved) I regret that now.

I will say - be as active as possible.

Be kind to yourself.

Hang in there! You have lots of company here who understand what you're going thru.

~hiddn

Thanks Hiddn for the advice. I will definitely try the smaller plate. I've been using my fitness pal and tracking my calories also. When my brusing and stiches have healed a little more, I'm going to start back into my excercise routine, slowly.

I still have to have some accountability as I don't want to gain what weight I've lost back.

It's good to know there are people here that can relate. Once again, I thank you!

Lori

Hello! I'm getting my band taken out on Dec2 an honestly m so scared. I wish I had your optimism on being excited to being able to eat all of these things! How has your hunger been since you've taken the band out?

I finally had my band removed 9/18 and the first 4 days were pretty painful (from the differred pain - so the worst was the pain in the tip of my left shoulder/neck area as well as my left mid rib cage) Thank goodness - that pain is gone now. I do have some minor pain in the incisions but nothing compared to having the band put in - the port hurt and never stopped - until now that it is gone :). I'm so happy to be able to (once I'm healed) go through my day and eat whatever I want and not worry about running to the bathroom to throw it up and dealing with the slime and pain associated with that. Not worry about traveling and what I could or couldn't eat and being in a hotel room and on a schedule and not be able to eat because I'm too tight and then a few hours later I'm starving and no one else is. (Vacations have not been any fun - airplane trips make the band tighten up for a day or 2 - then its time to go home...) Several times a week (normal life - just day to day) my band would be closed so tight I could barley sip Water if I had any stress (and I own my own business and unfortunately - it is very stressful) and I have had it unfilled since 2010. It was so painful to have food stuck all the time. It had slipped and I didn't know it, I just dealt with the side effects. This was my choice - I thought it was how it was supposed to be. I mostly ate liquids and occasionally soft foods. I cant wait to eat meat - apples - lettuce - rice... in moderation of course! I have been so unhealthy because of the lack of proper nutrition - I'm Vitamin deficient and take so many supplements. It will take a while but I will get my health back on track (hopefully my hair will thicken up again) I will also keep moving each day. This has been to much of a bad dream to let it bring me down. I hope I don't experience any post surgery problems either! (Good luck to everyone here as well!)

I just read your response for this person as well. I'm definitely trying to uplift my spirits in every way! I guess it's all about calorie counting and keeping active! I wonder if after so many years, one's stomach does actually shrink.

Hi there:

I've had similiar complications with the band and am due to have it out on October 15th. You said exactly how I was feeling. The not being able to eat certain foods, the being nervous to eat in restaurants etc.

Can you let me know what life has been like since the band has been taken out?

Hi!
Life without the band has been good and bad. I am constantly struggling with trying to lose weight. I eat between 1200 to 1500 calories per day. I walk 30 to 45 minutes each day. I also do Zumba 3 times a week for 60 mins and strength training twice a week. I feel like I am not getting very far with weight loss. I haven't gained.
As far as physically, I feel soooooo much better! I don't have reflux anymore and I can sleep on 1 pillow instead of 8 pillows. I still feel some restriction due to the smaller size of my stomach, I can eat more but i get full usually on half a sandwich. I still try to focus on healthier options. No more vomiting thankfully. Occasionally I have some heartburn but it is very mild and I have a history of it prior to band anyways, but definately has improved since band was removed.

Today is October 4th and I can easily do ab workouts at Zumba class. I actually started working on abs about 4 weeks after removal, starting slowly and knowing my limitations and stopping when too uncomfortable. I do not regret the removal at all. It is such a relief for me. I am planning on revising to bypass hopefully next month.

Best of luck to you on your band removal, you will feel better once removed. Hopefully I answered your question. If there is anything else specific that you would like to know, I would be happy to tell you anything that can help :)

I just had my band out yesterday and for some reason I did not think I would be in pain but I am. It is so sore especially when i go from sitting to standing. Fingers crossed it won't last long.

Dream4tc: How long did you experience those twinges? I'm experiencing something similar (strong shooting / "needle" feeling where my band was), and my lap band was removed over 3 months ago. I called my surgeon's office about this roughly one month ago and she said this was normal, but I'm slightly concerned. When I press down where my lap band was, it feels incredibly sensitive. Strangely, this pain didn't kick in until over one month after my surgery took place.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hey, many years later, I had the same procedure after having my lap band for 11 years and am feeling similar pain one month out. So I totally emphasize with you.

Im curious, how are you doing now? How long did it take for the discomfort to go away?

3 hours ago, scep7 said:

Hey, many years later, I had the same procedure after having my lap band for 11 years and am feeling similar pain one month out. So I totally emphasize with you.

Im curious, how are you doing now? How long did it take for the discomfort to go away?

Hey! To be completely honest, I'd forgotten about this entirely until I saw this notification in my email! 😂 It eventually went away, I just don't recall how long it took. Thankfully, all of the other horrible side effects I was dealing with (after 8 years of having the band) went away too - no more acid reflux, esophageal spasms, or spitting up blood. Now, the entire experience feels like a distant memory. In retrospect, I suspect those pains were just damaged nerves coming back to life. I hope that helps! That being said, if something doesn't seem right, don't be ashamed to call your surgeon and ask!

Hello there,

I am 85 years old and my lapband is 13 years old. Saturday (6/12/21) at dinner my lapband blocked. I was able to bring up virtually all of the food in the Men's room but no relief. Came home did the overhead stretches, long walks, sipped hot tea, no help. It is now 24 hours I have not had anything to eat or drink and no sleep. My wife just brought me some pineapple juice which I sipped but it did not stay down. I am also chewing papaya enzyme pills, hope they help. Looks like no sleep tonight as well. I hope I can get into a bariatric office an get a de-fill. I hope my lapband is still good, I do not like the idea of surgery at my age. I do not like the idea of possible dehydration from lack of liquids. Maybe I can give you better news on Monday.

Harmonyherb

Edited by harmonyherb