Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bingeing after the sleeve

I was really hoping that this was something I would not have to deal with once I had the surgery but unfortunately over the past few weeks I have been binge eating and could really use some advice.

I am 3.5 months post-op and have lost around 70 pounds (including the weight I lost with the 2 week pre-op diet). I have always been an anxious eater and was diagnosed with binge eating disorder many years ago, which for the past few years mainly involved overeating as opposed to the violent binging episodes I used to have.

This was very encouraging so after therapy for BED I decided to have the surgery. Now, I notice that although I keep to my eating plan most of the time, I often cheat. Today though, I was very anxious and got an urge to binge, just like the old ones. I stopped the first one but the one that came a few hours later I gave in to and ate 2 donuts.

Is this something that other sleevers experience? How often does it happen to you and how do you control it? Are there any 'success stories' out there that have experienced binging (as in eating bad food in an uncontrolled manner, not necessarily large portions) yet still managed to lose the weight.

I don't often see this being written about and it feels quite scary.

Many thanks for reading!

@@gabito - did you talk to you NUT about this? Did it come up during a psych evaluation prior to surgery? I think you probably need to call a professional and see if they can give you some direction.

Good luck and let us know what happens so someone else out there maybe can benefit from your experience.

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties. BED sounds like a big, scary label to hang around your neck. You're not alone. Most people who have long-term issues with obesity that brings them to WLS could be or have been diagnosed with an eating disorder. We don't get here because we have healthy relationships with food or our bodies.

It seems like you're a little trapped in the obsession/compulsion aspect of it right now.

There's nothing to feel guilty about. Please don't beat yourself up over this. I think it might be helpful to look for some emotional support from loved ones, 12-step group or maybe people with whom you share spiritual beliefs. I hope you aren't feeling isolated and ashamed. I would disbelieve most accounts people give of their experience with this journey if they denied having to confront their addiction, more than once, before and after surgery. I haven't lately but it's there waiting for me if...

If I knew you and your issues my desire to "mommy" everyone around me would kick in (another of my unresolved issues...lol) and I'd try to help. I wish I had some magic words for you. All I can tell you for sure is you ARE NOT ALONE. This isn't uncommon and doesn't have to define the rest of your journey.

The self-sabotaging component of BED thinking is going to be whispering in your ear that you might as well give up, may as well go off the deep end since you already stopped being perfect etc. My guess is you're already dealing with feelings of shame and failure. Here's the part you should know: THAT'S ALL BULLS**T!

This can be ok. This is resolvable. You have nothing to feel bad about. Most of us have been there whether we admit it or not. Perfection isn't attainable for any of us but success is. Relax, by naming it and talking about it you're already closer to figuring out what works for you. GOOD JOB!

If I can be helpful please reach out to me. In fact, most here would be good to talk to.

HUGS

I think the best for me is when I start feeling that way I will take a drive or do something to change my thought... sorry hope it gets better for you

You need to seek professional help to work through your BED. I'm concerned you will continue to struggle without support from professionals like a counselor or therapist or even a psychiatrist. There's no shame in that. I'm actually very impressed with your success so far dealing with that disorder. You're a rock star! But like I said, there's no shame seeking some extra help to ensure you're successful with the rest of your weight loss journey and beyond. Good luck to you!

I've had a couple of sleeve-style binges - where you can't hold what you used to, but the lack of control is there. Yes, I'm losing and have continued to lose weight. It seems that the instant fullness, pain, and the quickness that overeating so much causes vomiting brings me back to my senses where I never had that off switch before. It happens a LOT less often now - maybe 3 times in the last 9 months, where I was doing it several times a week before - and I think mostly because I'm more aware of my body.

I can understand where you're coming from, though. The first time I did it post-op it was like an out of body experience. I got out of the car to put gas in it, and it was like I was watching a movie until I was a few blocks down with donut crumbs on my shirt and an urgent need to hurl.

I'm sorry you're dealing with it - it sucks.

I also have BED and in the first 30 days I binged twice but I managed to do it on 40 calorie fudge pops so my total calorie count for the day still wasn't off the chart. This will be a forever struggle and relapse is part of recovery. I am one of those people who tracks EVERYTHING so that even if I go off the rails I know what I did. Usually it's not as bad as my imagination makes it out to be so tracking helps me. Two donuts is what? 600 calories. Let it go and move past it. Don't let it define you. I'm just glad I can't eat a large pizza in one sitting anymore. The surgery will help so much!

I know I will never binge like I used to and that makes me feel great. One day at a time.

I'm confused. I though after we have the sleeve we can no longer eat donuts or breads. Is this not so?

I'm confused. I though after we have the sleeve we can no longer eat donuts or breads. Is this not so?

You can eat anything, really. The reason you should not eat breads and simple carbs (like sugar... donuts are a no no) are that they will essentially sabotage all your hard work and the surgery's benefits. The whole point of the surgery is to help us eat less but we also have to make lifestyle changes, as everyone knows.

With a lower calorie diet we need to increase Protein to assure we have a healthy amount while eating less calories overall. If you add in carbs like donuts you are 1) not taking in Protein and 2) taking in excessive amounts of calories.

My advice is develop a habit of eating healthy replacement foods. Want ice cream? Eat a sugar free Popsicle. Need a snack? Have beef or turkey Jerky, or a beef stick or string cheese.

For a bread substitute I eat low carb tortillias. About 3 carbs per, 10+ Fiber and they taste great. Just had a 4 oz tuna salad wrap and I loved it.

You may need to touch base with your therapist, for a few tune up sessions. From what I understand, BED is not something you get magically cured of. Often you simply develop better coping mechanisms. WLS may have thrown that out of whack as you learn new eating behaviors. Reach out for professional help.

You may need to touch base with your therapist, for a few tune up sessions. From what I understand, BED is not something you get magically cured of. Often you simply develop better coping mechanisms. WLS may have thrown that out of whack as you learn new eating behaviors. Reach out for professional help.

No, it isn't. I think that you are right. I need to learn to deal with anxiety without reaching for food.

@@gabito - did you talk to you NUT about this? Did it come up during a psych evaluation prior to surgery? I think you probably need to call a professional and see if they can give you some direction.

Good luck and let us know what happens so someone else out there maybe can benefit from your experience.

I think that this is a good idea. I would really like someone who is also struggling with bingeing or out of control eating to read this and not feel so lonely. Looking through these boards can be very difficult. The only time in which you read about people going off track they talk about how they gained 100lb+ after years of doing very well. The other side tends to be people who appear to no longer have any emotional attachment to food after the surgery.

That's a really touching message, thank you so much Folly. When my bingeing was bad, back when I was a teenager I would have felt incredibly bad about myself and just continued to binge. But I'm in my twenties now and the problem has gotten better. After I binged today I went to the gym and continued with my meal plan for the day.

I'm so sorry you're having difficulties. BED sounds like a big, scary label to hang around your neck. You're not alone. Most people who have long-term issues with obesity that brings them to WLS could be or have been diagnosed with an eating disorder. We don't get here because we have healthy relationships with food or our bodies.

It seems like you're a little trapped in the obsession/compulsion aspect of it right now.

There's nothing to feel guilty about. Please don't beat yourself up over this. I think it might be helpful to look for some emotional support from loved ones, 12-step group or maybe people with whom you share spiritual beliefs. I hope you aren't feeling isolated and ashamed. I would disbelieve most accounts people give of their experience with this journey if they denied having to confront their addiction, more than once, before and after surgery. I haven't lately but it's there waiting for me if...

If I knew you and your issues my desire to "mommy" everyone around me would kick in (another of my unresolved issues...lol) and I'd try to help. I wish I had some magic words for you. All I can tell you for sure is you ARE NOT ALONE. This isn't uncommon and doesn't have to define the rest of your journey.

The self-sabotaging component of BED thinking is going to be whispering in your ear that you might as well give up, may as well go off the deep end since you already stopped being perfect etc. My guess is you're already dealing with feelings of shame and failure. Here's the part you should know: THAT'S ALL BULLS**T!

This can be ok. This is resolvable. You have nothing to feel bad about. Most of us have been there whether we admit it or not. Perfection isn't attainable for any of us but success is. Relax, by naming it and talking about it you're already closer to figuring out what works for you. GOOD JOB!

If I can be helpful please reach out to me. In fact, most here would be good to talk to.

HUGS

I also have BED and in the first 30 days I binged twice but I managed to do it on 40 calorie fudge pops so my total calorie count for the day still wasn't off the chart. This will be a forever struggle and relapse is part of recovery. I am one of those people who tracks EVERYTHING so that even if I go off the rails I know what I did. Usually it's not as bad as my imagination makes it out to be so tracking helps me. Two donuts is what? 600 calories. Let it go and move past it. Don't let it define you. I'm just glad I can't eat a large pizza in one sitting anymore. The surgery will help so much!

I know I will never binge like I used to and that makes me feel great. One day at a time.

I'm tracking stuff too. Its really good as it gives you a greater feeling of control even when you eat stuff that you aren't supposed to.