Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I guess posting here about my struggles with the sleeve was a bad idea, I didn't realize being honest and reaching out for supporters who have been through it and the struggle would bash saying that "if I can't handle it after one week chances are Your not going to be successful" and "how could I do this to myself" that's not really what I'm looking to hear when asking for help or suggestions to get through the liquid stage, but thanks I'll use this "obvious fact" you stated to remind myself on why I had this surgery, to be successful or at least try to be ????

Edited by Lopez1628

It's not a bad idea to share your struggles, just know there are thousands of people on here and you won't always get the best advice, some people will sugar coat everything, some are more blunt and some just give their own honest opinion. Take it all with a grain of salt. Take the parts that will help you and leave the rest. It's nothing to get yourself worked up over. Only YOU can determine how successful you are no matter what anyone says. Cheer up!@@Lopez1628

I agree with @Elode.

Also keep in mind that when you are newly post-op and still on liquids, your nerves and emotions are pretty raw and close to the surface. You may hear something in a response that wasn't intended.

Many of us are careful not to encourage deviations from your doctor's orders because the consequences of doing so can be serious and even life-threatening. It is not that we don't understand the struggles, it is because we do.

It may be just anecdotal, but when I had my one-week post-op follow-up and nutrition class, it seemed that the people who had the hardest recovery were those who chose to "cheat" on their food plan.

I went to nutrition classes (mandatory for my surgery to be approved) with a nice young women who was at a similar weight and size to me. She was so pretty, smart, vivacious... I liked her a lot. Not long after surgery she went to a fast food chicken place and ruptured her sleeve eating mashed potatoes and gravy. She didn't seek help (shame? denial?) for over 24 hours. Well, someone sought help for her. She was found unconscious. I didn't go to her funeral.

I sometimes say pretty stern things to people when they talk about NOT following medical advice. I would rather hurt your feelings than read your obituary.

I'm just saying...

Peace

Lopez1628

I was kinda turned off by the reply you got also, but I'm just 6 days out of surgery so maybe I'm too sensitive too. We don't need horror stories right now, we need encouragement and advice!

You mentioned your temptation with regular food during this liquid phase. I hope I'm not shot down for what I've been doing, but since it works for me I thought I'd share. Tired of the sweetened, artificial flavor of the shakes, and of store-bought broth, so have been (twice now) adding ground beef and a few spices to the beef broth, and ground chicken to the chicken broth. Then I strain the meat out and drink the broth. They taste like heaven compared to the processed stuff. My hubby handles the leftovers ☺️ My doctor told me when I left the hospital he was less worried about my Protein intake right now but wanted to make sure I was well hydrated. On day 4 I was crying because I couldn't face another cold yucky shake, and plain Water was making me vomit. Like I said, I may be out of line suggesting this, but it's kept me from cheating.

Best of luck as you proceed thru your weight loss experience. I wish you only the best!

I wasn't telling you a horror story to scare you or anyone else. I hope you find what you need to deal with the issues that are making this harder for you than it has to be. We have a lot of people in this place who certainly can relate - I know I can. It scares me every single time I see someone posting about not choosing (or able) to follow medical advice right after surgery. It's about more than weight loss/gain. It's serious and could turn a life into a statistic. I don't bash or scare people in general but this thread alarmed me and I want people who are new to WLS to understand the potential consequences right after surgery can be particularly grave.

Almost everyone here is willing to be a source of encouragement and support, even me, but this thread made me think of how sad it was when the friend I spoke of died. She, too, talked about it being so hard and cheating just a little... Maybe if someone had just told her outright, "YOU COULD DIE" she would have thought twice and talked to a therapist or the Dr or someone...

If I hurt your feelings I do humbly and deeply apologize. I wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose. If I can offer you support in any way please reach out to me.

Peace

Lopez1628

I was kinda turned off by the reply you got also, but I'm just 6 days out of surgery so maybe I'm too sensitive too. We don't need horror stories right now, we need encouragement and advice!

You mentioned your temptation with regular food during this liquid phase. I hope I'm not shot down for what I've been doing, but since it works for me I thought I'd share. Tired of the sweetened, artificial flavor of the shakes, and of store-bought broth, so have been (twice now) adding ground beef and a few spices to the beef broth, and ground chicken to the chicken broth. Then I strain the meat out and drink the broth. They taste like heaven compared to the processed stuff. My hubby handles the leftovers ☺️ My doctor told me when I left the hospital he was less worried about my Protein intake right now but wanted to make sure I was well hydrated. On day 4 I was crying because I couldn't face another cold yucky shake, and plain Water was making me vomit. Like I said, I may be out of line suggesting this, but it's kept me from cheating.

Best of luck as you proceed thru your weight loss experience. I wish you only the best!

It's fine to deviate within reason. Because of food allergies and being a vegetarian my eating plan was very different than most. However I reviewed and discussed everything with my nutritionist. I made most things from scratch. What you were doing is still on program. However there are folks who will say things like how they ate noodles ( a slider food) during their all liquid stage. That's just bad advice. There's a difference in being creative and just plain going off course.

Honestly, OP: In two pages of replies, there was a single post that was rude, and a hell of a lot of support and "I hear ya, girl!" from everyone else. Don't cherry-pick for reasons to victimize yourself and decide the entire world is against you. The internet is tough; it's not always a hugbox and echo chamber, and sometimes people will be blunt. I felt that poster had good advice, but wrapped it up with a rude little bow that ultimately made it useless. And to be fair, it looked like she was responding to three posts in a row where people expressed temptation or cheating (including one where a fresh post-op patient ate lasagna and felt pain, that is dangerous).

In the end, you let someone cut out part of your stomach because you're so freaking committed to making a positive change in your life. You've already done a frightening and courageous thing. And because of it, you're a hungry, red, raw nerve right now (I think we all were ;) ), so take a breath. You're already on your way, don't let a post that get your spirits down.

I am new here and haven't seen your previous post, but I am on day 11 of this d#*m liquid diet and I WANT to eat! But I also work in the medical field and see the train wrecks happen when people don't follow the plan. That is what made me wait so long (11 years) do have the courage to do this! Lets keep up the fight together and muddle through. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

I was on a liquid diet 2 weeks before and for 3 weeks after, that 5 weeks of liquid was maddening. It is difficult and i hope you know that most people on this site are here for you. Of course we do not want anyone to do something dangerous, wanting to eat during the liquid stage is quite normal, take each day one by one. I am now 6 weeks out and can eat most things. I do not eat meat so that is not an issue, the next thing to try raw veggies, salad.< /p>

Thank you guys for all of your support!!!! This is by far one of the hardest journeys I have endeavored, but I knew what I was getting myself into before doing it, I just didn't imagine it being this difficult!! I think it's just the carb withdrawals and "chewing" craving. I chewed a grape and spit it out and felt a little better after. I think it's all in the mind. I blended up an apple earlier and strained it and drank the juice from it for the natural sugars, that helped with the sweet craving. But I still am just plain out hungry and I know it but I know I want to loose weight right and follow the plan more than anything. I am currently 8 days post op and down 18lbs!! Seeing this progress gives me hope to keep going and stick it out, I keep telling myself "it isn't forever, just a few more weeks" I think after next week when I can start puréed foods it will really relieve some pressure and cravings. I just am so sick of feeling fatigue. I know I'm not getting enough Protein in but it's hard I'm so sick of all the different shakes I have Nd make, I'm going to GNC tomorrow to get a few others to try out and another flavor powder. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS! It really helps to get through knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way

For my chewing pleasure, I'm chewing ice. I need the crunch. SF popcicles do about the same thing. I can have fruit juice (diluted with some water), just not citrus. For extra Protein I prepare SF pudding with 2 c of FF milk, adding in 1/2 c dry milk. (It's all allowable in my plan.). The pudding really helps my protein needs. Also can have SF yogurt. I mentioned earlier I make my own broths with simple spices; I crave that savory flavor, get tired of sweets. I just can't/won't drink the Protein Shakes sold by the docs and GNC anymore. It just tastes like chemicals to me. I hope you can find something to satisfy your cravings. You've lost more than I have, I'm only at 12#, 7 days after surgery. No wonder you're hungry for protein! But we can do this! I know we can. We've paid a heavy price for what we're going thru, so hang in there. I can a light at the end of the tunnel!