Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ihave my date,so i'm starting to let family members know that im going to get sleeved.i think this is a mistake. instead of getting encouragement, i have o hear its not needed your not that big 5'9'' 260 i have gained and lost the same 40 pounds numerous times and never really been able to get to a healthy weight and can not keep it off for any extended period of time. high blood pressure and sleep apnea are also a problem.

so instead of getting excited about this the doubts are starting to get into my head. i love food as im sure everyone here does or we wouldn't be having or had this surgery. so what im asking is do you ever regret having the surgery. men a would appreciate your honesty to this question. thanks in advance for your replies

@@on the fence 2 I am 5'9" and 277 and my BMI was over 40 (over 30 is classified as obese)... so I was with you... My experience was even worse, since my insurance did not cover it, I was scheduling my surgery in Mexico... but I wouldn't change a thing and happy with the results so far... 6 months and 85 pounds gone... 17 more to my goal weight.... of 175 (still classified as overweight, but happy)... Good luck on your journey!!!

My only regret is that I waited so long to do it. I wish I would have gotten sleeved 10 years ago! Every day, I wake up full of energy, enthusiasm, and a real love for life. I used to kind of look forward to my first heart attack, so I could just be fat and lazy and have an excuse to lay in bed, now I look forward to every day, and can't wait to live it to the fullest! I love the new me! I am looking forward to a long, healthy life now.

In the beginning I had regrets, like that I could only eat a few bites of pizza instead of a large pizza, but I look back now at the old, fat me, and can't believe I ever did that to myself. Sure I loved food, and that's why I was fat, but now I love running on the beach, swimming in the ocean, and smiling at the pretty girls so much more! Lol.

Just do it, your family and friends won't understand,but they don't have to. This journey you are starting is about you, not them. Do it for yourself, do it for you significant other, if you have one, do it for your kids, if you have any. That's what matters! Neither my dad sisters understood why I did it, and now that I am skinnier, they are haters waiting for me to get fat again. F*@# them, my wife and kids are proud of me, I will live to walk my girls down the aisle, and see my grandchildren (hopefully not for atleast 10 yesrs), a year ago I didn't think I would see grow up, I was a ticking time bomb. Now, I will grow old with my wife, who, btw, got sleeved the same day I did!

I think the only people who have regrets about having had WLS are those who encountered complications.

That said, I've read a couple of pieces in mainstream media by WLS patients who regret having had the surgery because the weight loss messed with their heads quite a bit.

The takeaway is this: inform yourself of all complications and ask yourself if you can live with any of these should they arise. And make sure you are ready and live life without the fatsuit. So people have real issues inhabiting their new body. (I didn't, but then again, I'm still fat.)

No regrets. I should have done it in my 50's but I was in fairly good shape, even though 150+ pounds overweight, could still travel, farm, etc with good energy. So, was not ready. But at 64 yrs, after beginning to lose mobility, diabetes worse each year, gaining weight gradually, urge incontinence, etc.... it was time. On Sept 21, it will be five months post bypass. Off four diabetes meds, just take a small amount of one med, urge incontinence gone, BP normal without meds, neuropathy in feet 65% better; and over 90# gone... mobility much better, can bend over without risk of calling 911; almost back to bicycle riding, swimming much easier, gardening/light farming much easier.... no regrets, this has saved my life. It is your life, you define the need for the surgery.

No Regrets. Had lapband surgery January 2013. no longer take diabetic meds, no more high cholesterol or high blood pressure. It's the best thing I have ever done for my health .

Life is full of trade-offs. I am 28 months post-op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. I miss the enjoyment of eating a great meal - the taste, the smell, the satisfaction. But before surgery, I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, GERD, problems with profuse sweating and frequent urination. All those problems went into remission within days after the surgery and stayed in remission ever since. I lost 115 pounds and maintained that weight loss. I went from a size 3X in shirts down to a size Small and from a size 46 in pants down to a size 32. Overall it was a good trade-off.

What's to regret. I'm over 18 months out from surgery and reached goal weight at about a year.

I can eat anything I was able to eat before surgery......just a whole lot less at a sitting. And I've developed a new desire for much more healthy foods and have learned (with focused determination) to resist cravings and junk.

I can now do all the activities I used to do in my teens and have plenty of energy with no real physical limitations.

I start each day with a smile of how great life is now and how good I feel........Regret has never entered my mind once. ;)

No regrets! Don't listen to them! It's your life and your health. Do what is best for you and shut out the negativity!

No regrets!! Just tell people you aren't looking for their opinion. You are just letting them know what is going on. The beauty of the sleeve is that you loose your cravings. I even lost my desire to even eat for about 5 months. Before my surgery I would sit down with a mixing bowl full of Lucky Charms or a huge bowl of ice cream. Two of my favorites!! Well, used to be. Now I haven't had any Cereal of any kind since 2 weeks before my surgery. And I don't even care! I do not have any cravings. It is awesome! Good luck :-)

ihave my date,so i'm starting to let family members know that im going to get sleeved.i think this is a mistake. instead of getting encouragement, i have o hear its not needed your not that big 5'9'' 260 i have gained and lost the same 40 pounds numerous times and never really been able to get to a healthy weight and can not keep it off for any extended period of time. high blood pressure and sleep apnea are also a problem.

so instead of getting excited about this the doubts are starting to get into my head. i love food as im sure everyone here does or we wouldn't be having or had this surgery. so what im asking is do you ever regret having the surgery. men a would appreciate your honesty to this question. thanks in advance for your replies.

thanks for the replies.i do need to add that its not everyone that is not supportive. i have a wife and three girls that need me to be around for many years to come and they are supportive with my decsion.

Edited by on the fence 2

Life is full of trade-offs. I am 28 months post-op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. I miss the enjoyment of eating a great meal - the taste, the smell, the satisfaction. But before surgery, I had diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, GERD, problems with profuse sweating and frequent urination. All those problems went into remission within days after the surgery and stayed in remission ever since. I lost 115 pounds and maintained that weight loss. I went from a size 3X in shirts down to a size Small and from a size 46 in pants down to a size 32. Overall it was a good trade-off.

Well said I'm only two months out and I'm down 70lbs since my starting weight in Feb. all my blood pressure and blood sugar issues are gone already.

Insurance required me to be on a pre-op diet for six months prior to approving my surgery. That time started in February for me this year. Around May I started getting this real feeling of dread and was beginning to wonder if this was really the surgery for me. Then I ended up googling Gastric Bypass Complications, and that nearly took me over the edge especially since I had never had surgery of any kind before, never been to the ER, never had a broken bone, nothing.

However, I pushed right through that "bad" period, had my surgery a month ago, and I already feel pretty good about it. I mean, I'm sure I'll miss the big ass tacos and burritos and large plates of food that I used to eat, but I'm glad that I'm off my blood pressure medicine (just days after surgery) and hoping to hear good news about my cholesterol at the end of this month. I still have to take very small amounts of insulin to control my glucose levels, but I'm hoping at some point that'll be gone as well.

Push through the doubts, think about what the end product will be and all the benefits of the surgery, and you'll be fine.

No real regrets here. I'm down 122lb in 6 months. I have a ton of energy and I am doing things now I have never done or haven't since high school.

I do have the rare "awww man" moment when is comes to certain meals. For a long time the wife and I would go to Morton's for our anniversary. I would get a 16oz ribeye and get multiple sides. Now I have to stick to a small filet and a couple bites off a side that the wife chooses. It's still that inner fat guy attitude working its way out.

That being said I now eat much better options. I don't snack on junk. As weird as it sounds I do wish I could eat more veggies. I do my Protein first and that sometimes just doesn't leave much space for them. I'm sure in time that will increase. It feels like I have been doing this forever when in reality I'm still a newbie.

Edited by OneDollarBill