Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having surgery in Oct ?

We are in Kevin's room now and everything went fine. He did have a hiatal hernia repair. He is snoring away and I am taking advantage of him not running his mouth for once...lol. Poor guy doesn't realize he only has one good hour left before the mean nurses come in to make him walk!!!!

@@edie091371 awesome! Thanks for the update. How was his first walk?

So I had my one month post-op appointment (even though I'm not quite a full month yet) and I was a bit disheartened.

The staff says absolutely no exercise for 9 weeks (other than walking- which is not something I enjoy due to foot issues) and after that light Water aerobics can be added. They don't suggest aerobics or hitting the gym until 6 months! Doesn't this seem really long? I want to maximize the 6 month 'honeymoon' period and exercise has always been a big part of me successfully losing weight.

It seems a lot of bariatric people exercise much earlier. Is anyone from the October group exercising yet? When have you been told you can start?

@@anewme2015

Wow! I was told at my 2 week check up that I could go back to the pool. My doctor just told me to hold off on weight training for awhile. I got back into the pool at 3 weeks out - only made it for 20 minutes lol. Today, however, only 4 days later I exercised for an hour. I also walk for a half an hour every morning.

I know every doctor is different. Ours pushes exercise as soon as possible. Is more time before exercise usual for yours or do you need more healing time for some reason?

So I had my one month post-op appointment (even though I'm not quite a full month yet) and I was a bit disheartened.

The staff says absolutely no exercise for 9 weeks (other than walking- which is not something I enjoy due to foot issues) and after that light Water aerobics can be added. They don't suggest aerobics or hitting the gym until 6 months! Doesn't this seem really long? I want to maximize the 6 month 'honeymoon' period and exercise has always been a big part of me successfully losing weight.

It seems a lot of bariatric people exercise much earlier. Is anyone from the October group exercising yet? When have you been told you can start?

I'm exercising now. I started a week post op.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

@@anewme2015

Wow! I was told at my 2 week check up that I could go back to the pool. My doctor just told me to hold off on weight training for awhile. I got back into the pool at 3 weeks out - only made it for 20 minutes lol. Today, however, only 4 days later I exercised for an hour. I also walk for a half an hour every morning.

I know every doctor is different. Ours pushes exercise as soon as possible. Is more time before exercise usual for yours or do you need more healing time for some reason?

It was a group session and we were all told that internal injuries could result of we exercise too early. Perhaps they're just being overly cautious. I'll wait the 6 weeks maybe and then introduce light aerobics. If I avoid twisting or doing abs I'll probably be okay.

Omg Ron thx to god your home back with us . Hey guys I had my gastric bypass October 23 down 16 lbs All together since the start 46lbs I am now under 300 lbs yay thx to God & my doctors ????????

We are in Kevin's room now and everything went fine. He did have a hiatal hernia repair. He is snoring away and I am taking advantage of him not running his mouth for once...lol. Poor guy doesn't realize he only has one good hour left before the mean nurses come in to make him walk!!!!

Yay! So awesome! Ron is right, you two on this journey together is such a wonderful thing :)

@@edie091371 I get a little stronger each day. So far all the foods I have tried have not given me any problems. I am still on mushy foods and probably will be until around 8 December. I have a goal of drinking four 16.9 FL OZ bottles of Water each day. I have to continually be sipping water for this to happen. Sometimes I actually hit that goal but yesterday I was a full bottle short.

Wednesday just going to the lab to get my blood drawn wore me out and I took a 3 1/2 hour nap. Yesterday went to the lab, 1 1/2 hours to the Bariatric Doctor and back, made some appointments on the phone, and had a nurse come out for two hours to check-in to allow the PT and nurse visits. I did all that without a nap but at 8pm I was heading for bed.

PT will start today I am hoping they can help me on several fronts. When I walk I have some trouble with my sense of balance. I am told my walking looks fine but inside I really have to concentrate on how to walk and don't feel stable. I barely make it up or down the 7 steps in our house they are that much of a struggle. I use a chair in the shower. It is mandatory that someone is in the bathroom with me when I get in or out of the shower chair. It is also mandatory that if I go up or down the stairs someone is with me. These things really affect my ego when just a month ago I was walking 6 miles and moving freely. I am trying to be patient with myself but I have to admit I do get irritated.

Last night I had my first dream that I remember since I came home. I picked up a big slice of pizza and took a bite. As my mouth closed over the pizza I was in heaven and then I remembered I wasn't supposed to have pizza because of the surgery and began spitting it out. That's pretty bad cheating in my dreams lol. Anyone else have food dreams?

Attempting to take it one day at a time.

@@395Ron I am so glad to hear that you are making daily progress. It sounds like you had a pretty good day yesterday. I can relate with the Water. I have so much trouble getting it in. Yesterday I did not even get 32 ounces. I just feel full and bloated all the time.

It is so nice to see your responses to the posts again. Have you had a chance to read back thru some of the older posts. We acquired quite the October group! And it is amazing that so many of us still actively keep this thread going! I find this group to be such a support and know I can come here and ask anything. It is amazing to me how perfect strangers in all areas of the United States and even the world can become such a part of your family.

I love that you had a pizza dream. Even your subconscious knew you could not have it and made you spit it out. When we are all eating regular food I will share a chicken crust pizza recipe that is bariatric friendly with you and the group. It is one of the first things I plan to make!

Well time to head to the hospital and walk my husband! Hopefully he comes home today as he is doing great. Our first night apart and I must admit I did not like it one little bit.

You and your wife are in my continued prayers and I know you are going to be walking circles around all of us in no time!!

Ok I need some help finding a WLS friendly chili recipe. I am in the mushy phase and can have chili. Somewhere on these forums I have read about a guy that almost lives on his chili recipe. I can't find that post now. Can anyone help me find it or a good WLS chili recipe? Thanks.

@@395Ron

Not sure if this is the one you are looking for It was called "Secret Recipe Homemade Chili" In Delicious High- Protein recipes. Calories Protein

3 lbs. 95% Lean Ground Beef 2616 396 g.

1 can Low sugar Tomato Soup 175 3 g.

2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans 700 49 g.

1 lg Sweet Onion chopped 40 1 g.

2 large cans or 4 small cans of Stewed Tomatoes 420 14 g.

season to taste

Total 3951cal 463 g. protein

We are big chili eaters in my home so I made a big batch of my home made chili like I always make it only using the lean ground beef & leaving out sausage. I had no trouble eating it & could eat 1/2 cup. Mine has a lot of ingredients but my family loves it so much so I tried it with no problems. My original recipe is in the October list of surgery's thread as Irishaggie asked for it.

So glad to see you back! We have missed you!!!!!! We had about 110 people ask to be put on our list! I have noticed, now that people are post surgery, we don't hear from them as much, which is understandable. Everyone is getting back to their busy lives & doing well!!! Everyone's progress has been at all different speeds, & we all have gotten down at times, but with this fantastic group the support has been wonderful!!! Its amazing how fast the body heals & I believe & will still be praying that your recovery will be quick! Thank-goodness you were in good shape to begin with!!!!! Before you know it you will be walking farther than ever!!! Me I seem to only be able to walk 30min. but today I'm going to go a little farther!!!! Good luck with the chili, it has helped me a lot!!!

Edited by 60&goin4it

@@395Ron it is so great to hear from you! I am so happy that you are progressing. You had so many people pulling for you. Thank you wife for keeping us updated.

I too was told only walking. I am still having pain in my stomach near large incision and bruising so honestly I don't even want to attempt working out. I don't go back to Drs until 12/2. I am still on mushie food and honestly feel like I can eat more than a quarter cup. I am in the 3 week stall too. I am down 25 lbs, 14lbs of hat since surgery. I still a, dealing with the fear of failure. I am hoping for at least an average of 2.5lbs a week which I think is not over the top!