Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s in Your Healthy Lunch?

Lunchtime can be a problem, especially if you work, are a student, or are extremely busy…and that’s most of us! We’re rushing around the home or out the door in the morning, and have temptations to just opt for fast food at lunch. But that’s not healthy, and I know you’re not doing that!

So I’m curious…what’s in your healthy lunch? Do you keep it the same, or do you vary it? What do you normally pack or make? What do you always have in your house for lunchtimes? Can you share any tips for quick and easy lunches, or recipes to make lunch more fun while on the WLS diet?

Almost everyday I have 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with 3 strawberries sliced in it.

On days where I have a good leftover Protein from dinner the night before I will have that Protein in a garden salad.

This one sounds weird, but my favorite lunch is black Beans topped with a sunny side up egg, shredded cheese & a few slices of avocado.

I bring veggies & Protein. If I buy something, it is a flatbread type of sandwich w/lean protein & veggies. Occasionally Soup.< /p>

An ounce of turkey pepperoni or a couple slices of deli meat; a light Mini Babybel cheese or Parmesan crisps; and a slice of Tomato, 3-4 baby carrots, or a few berries if I have room.

I make a pot of vegetarian chili (with things like carrots and bell peppers in it) occasionally on the weekend and we take that for lunch that week. I also keep string cheese and Greek yogurt in my fridge at work in case I don't have anything else to eat. Sometimes leftovers from the night before. I used to make hummus and eat that with baby carrots when I was a pre-op - I should start doing that again now that I'm cleared to eat raw vegetables again.

Some of my favorites that are easy and I usually have ingredients on hand:

Cottage cheese with salsa. chicken salad with sliced cucumbers. Turkey breast deli meat and cheese roll ups. Light & Fit Greek yogurt with some trail mix or Grape nuts on top. tuna salad.

I almost always have boiled eggs, low fat string cheese, cherry tomatoes, cut up veggies and grapes in the fridge. In a hurry I can put handfuls of stuff in Ziploc bags and be on my way. I'm usually home at lunch time. Being a grazer, I have a place in the fridge of the stuff I can graze on whenever I want through the day - the desire to do this has decreased dramatically over time. I re-stock it before I go to bed every night for the next day with cut up veggies, fruit and sugar free Gelatin.