Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work?

When did you go back to work after having surgery? I am having laparoscopic bypass surgery and was told different things by different people.

One nurse at the clinic told me I would be out for two weeks, another said a few days and my surgeon hasn't really said much about it at all.

I work in an office, the most I life is whatever drink I happen to have in my hand and am not required to do anything "physical."

I planned to go back the following Monday with surgery being on a Wednesday.

Does that seem like it is too soon?

I was wondering exactly the same thing...

Someone told me to plan on 2 weeks

My doctor told me three weeks minimum. I see on here where others have gone back sooner.

My doctor told me 4-6 weeks. I can't take off that many weeks so I am planning on 2 weeks. I am getting rny and I have a desk job as well. I asked this question before and some people have gone back after a week and some needed the 4 weeks. I guess it depends on the person. I would plan longer just in case you need it. Good luck!

That would have been way too soon for me. I truly felt out of commission for three weeks, luckily I am in education so I didn't have to go back right away as it was at the beginning of the summer. You could always plan for longer and go back early if you think you feel up to it.

I needed all three of my weeks off!

Everyone is different. My doctor recommended I take off four weeks, and I am lucky I can do that.

In general, I would say to expect a minimum of two weeks off work. Some people have very easy surgeries, and are able to get back to work in a week. Some people are still dealing with pain and vomiting three weeks out (I wouldn't want to be at work if I were nauseous and vomiting). No way to know where you will be until after the surgery.

However, I certainly wouldn't plan on being back to work in less than a week. Remember this is Major Surgery. In my case, I will be in surgery for 2 1/2 hours, then in the hospital for 2 days recovering. And then I come home and start doing the real recovering. And re-learning how to eat and drink. No way I could do that and work at the same time. And I have a desk job too.

I am planning 4 to 6 weeks. I have a combination job. I work at a desk, but walk about 5 miles at work too. This past weekend, was my first week back from band and port removal and I still have discomfort when walking. I took 3 weeks off and I needed all 3 of them. I am only assuming that I will also need double that for bypass.

I am concerned about only being able to take 2 weeks off work after surgery. I haven't been there a year, so FMLA doesn't apply. Luckily I work 24 hours a week only. I'm so afraid of going back that soon and being so tired. I do sit at a desk for the most part, but still concerned...

I had the band to bypass revision at the same time and took 3 weeks off. My job is fairly sedentary and the pain I had wasn't from the bypass, it was from where the band has been removed. I ended up having to work 8 days in a row and I did fine. I did notice I really had to concentrate on making sure I got my fluids in!

Everyone is different but hopefully you'll be able to hit it at two weeks. I should mention my shifts are 12 hrs so if you work 8, maybe it will be cake! Tee heeee???? Take good care of yourself!

p.s. I should add I'm just over a month post op.

I took 2 weeks. I am exhausted but most of my work I can do from my desk. You will be tired. If you move A lot at your job I would definitely take 4 weeks. My surgeon would have liked for me to take at least 3 but I had compromise with 2 and light duty for an extra 3.

I had a surgery on 9/15 and I'm planning on going back next Monday. This Thursday I have a post-op visit and I'll ask him to give me restrictions to 4 hrs a day, for a month or so? Then 6 hrs and so on....

I think this will work for me.

My job is office work also and I actually took over 4 weeks. My issue wasn't physical as much as mental. The low calorie count in the first weeks along with the anesthesia not wearing for quite a while, I was just basically stupid for a long time. I tried going back and found that everything I did, had to be redone. I think everyone is different