Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is weight loss with a lap band so slow?

Hi Everyone. I am a newbie, 5 weeks post op. So far I have only had one fill with very little impact so far. My surgeon and dietician have both told me that when it does start working, not to expect more than 1-2 lb weight loss a week. Whilst like a lot of people I'm sure, I want it to happen quicker than that, I also know that slow is the healthiest way to lose, but I still can't get my head round why it is so slow.

After all the portion size and quantity we are able to eat reduces dramatically and I'm told I will feel full much quicker. So if I was on any non surgical diet that had this effect surely we would expect to lose more than 1-2 lbs a week. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thank you for reading x

Hi there ! Glad to see you're doing well post op ! Sorry, I don't have a better answer to your question, but I think a 1-2 lb loss a week is completely normal whether you're banded or just dieting. Im not sure why you think you would lose more than that a week. I didnt hit the green zone until my 4th fill, but I still lost some as I couldn't eat the the same quanity as befire , and had started walking, etc. I also have very little sagging skin, so I think the "slow and steady " weight loss helped alot, along with healthier eating, etc... . I hope all goes well for you, im very happy and healthy ! Thankyou Lapband !!! Good luck !!

These surgeries aren't a quick fix, you still need to work with your band 1-2 pounds a week is good. 10 pounds a month is always my goal. But that includes exercise. Work with your band and you will have success

These surgeries aren't a quick fix, you still need to work with your band 1-2 pounds a week is good. 10 pounds a month is always my goal. But that includes exercise. Work with your band and you will have success

Ok I understand that. Do you follow one of the popular diet method as well say like Weight watchers or are just careful with what you eat?

The first month or slow with a band is slow. Your body has to adjust to the surgery. The surgery and fills can cause swelling and that affects the band. Ask for another fill and listen to your physicians. Getting the band filed too quickly is not a positive as you don't get to learn about how your band impacts you. I got filled far too quickly and the relationship I developed with my band was not as positive as it could have been. Now everything is fine but it is a huge life adjustment.

If you want to lose weight and maintain your weight loss don't rush into the fills! Take things slow like your first high school relationship. The band is for life so learn everything you can about your body and your band.

My weight loss journey became much more positive when I learned not to rush progress.

I followed a weight watchers type of food plan and lost 150 lbs in about 18 months. I've been in maintenance for about a year now.

I followed a weight watchers type of food plan and lost 150 lbs in about 18 months. I've been in maintenance for about a year now.

The first few weeks I lost weight, mainly from the post op diet I was on...liquids-mushies, then solids.

4 weeks after surgery I had my first fill. My second fill was 4 weeks after that...in between the 2 fills I GAINED weight.

The band did not function for me until after my second fill....all I could have done during this time was follow some kind of diet....But I stink at dieting....that is why I needed lap band surgery. To do what I could not have doe in my own....if I could follow a diet, then surgery would not have been needed, in my case.

1-2 pounds per week, lets say 1.5 lbs per week...= 6.0 lbs a month, which = 72 lbs per year....there a many people struggling with traditional diets that would do anything to loose 72 lbs in a year....

But first, you have to get your band properly adjusted...otherwise it's pure dieting.

I never followed any particular diet....

before surgery, I could eat anything and everything...like a machine...as if I was trying to win a contest....

Now, because of lap band surgery, that has been taken care of, and I eat like a normal person should eat...and I now weigh what a normal person my height should weigh....it's that simple.

Thank you that is so helpful. It is very difficult when you are walking into the unknown without knowing what your expectations should be, but that has helped a lot, thank you