Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-pre-surgery - interested in adding protein shakes

I'm still thinking about getting surgery (consultation next Wednesday! So excited) bit was wondering if I should find a Protein shake note that I like.

I'm thinking of Meal Replacement mostly. I'm starting a diet that is almost certainly doomed to fail, again, bit I'm giving it my all anyway. I was thinking of drinking a shake for Breakfast.

I read that you should get whey isolate only, why?

whey isolate is the form of Protein that is most readily/completely absorbed by your digestive tract, so it is ideal. However, there are lots of people who use whey concentrate, egg white protein, etc. and do just fine.

I think it's fine to sample Protein Shakes before surgery to see what you *might* like, but keep in mind that your tastes may very well change with the surgery and if you stock up on tubs of Protein Powder or cases of RTD protein before, you may end up just throwing them all out. I know that having your tastes change overnight is hard to imagine, but it really does happen, quite commonly.

Thanks!

That sounds crazy, but I believe it happens. Makes me wonder why it happens and if our hunger hormones play a role in what we think tastes good.

I think it is actually the detox from all the sugars that cause all the taste changes. For many even the smell of overly sweet things can turn your stomach.

The smell and taste of some of those Protein drinks especially certain ones with certain sweeteners. Ugh!

I had to change what I used almost immediately and fell in love with Premier Protein ready made shakes. 30 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar, 160 calories. They taste as close to a milkshake as a Protein shake can. chocolate is the best flavor in my opinion but vanilla and strawberry aren't bad either.

They can be purchased at Sam's or costco in 18 quantity packs. I have also found them at some Walgreens stores in 4 pack quantity,

I second what @@Djmohr said. Premier Protein ready made shakes are fabulous! Luckily, they were the first I tried when I started hunting before I even knew for sure I'd have the surgery. Good luck!!

Before surgery on my liquid diet I mainly used Atkins. After surgery my taste changed and I could not stand any Protein drink...so I went with a unflavored Protein Powder. When I first tried Premier I could not get them down. I now love them and use them all the time.

If you haven't even had a consultation yet, I would hold off. I don't know your situation (physical, insurance, etc.) but I have seen many people on here who have such rigid pre-op guidelines that losing even a few pounds before your first weight is recorded MAY have an impact on the approval process.

Once you have met with your NUT and learned more about your specific program, then you could start exploring.

That's a good point about waiting until my consult. I did find some Bluebonnet brand Protein Shakes locally, and the chocolate one is pretty good. I'll wait until after I see what the requirements are to explore further.

That's a good point about waiting until my consult. I did find some Bluebonnet brand Protein shakes locally, and the chocolate one is pretty good. I'll wait until after I see what the requirements are to explore further.

That sounds like a good idea.

Also, keep in mind when you do start trying Protein Shakes that there is a large range of options and not all Protein shakes are bariatric-appropriate. Be sure and look at the protein to carb/sugar ratio.

Again, your NUT can provide some guidance.

Keep us posted on how your consult goes.

Again, your NUT can provide some guidance.

Keep us posted on how your consult goes.

My consult is Wednesday and I'm so excited. I'm ready for this to get started!

I found Premier Protein at Walmart for a 4 pack around $7+

I know that premier Protein at costco runs 24.99 for an 18 pack and every so often they run a sale for $5 off each case with a limit of 2. Their recent sale ended August 30th.

I always stock up when they are on sale.