Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Balloon Procedure Booked!

I had the lapband and lost 50 pounds, I hadrons it removed and I gain most of the weight back.

What are you hearing about aging the weight back one the ballon is removed

Of course since it is not a permanent thing ( like gastric sleeve ) the risk of gaining it back is going to be there .. I'm going to have to make better food choices .. I'm hoping getting off 30-40 lbs will give me the encouragement I need to make good choices .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had the sleeve with a low BMI (31) and after 3 moths I have lost 30 ponds. I fell sooooooo great. The sleeve was the best thing I have done

That's great ! I'm having mine put in on 4/1 I'm going with the Oberea procedure . Fingers crossed !

Good luck to you! :-) I just got mine on Wednesday, and two other folks here for it this week as well. As I suspected (based on what I've heard from others), the first few days were pretty crummy, but I'm starting to feel better and looking forward to the coming months. Best wishes!!

I had the lapband and lost 50 pounds, I hadrons it removed and I gain most of the weight back.

What are you hearing about aging the weight back one the ballon is removed

Based on the studies that I've read, on average there is some weight gain, but not as much as in the control group (and those with the balloon lost more in the first place).

It's just like anything else - it requires behavior modification for the long haul in order to be successful. So patients need to use the six months with the balloon to prepare for life without it. In other words, it's not a magic bullet, it's just a tool to help you to adopt better habits.

On April 29th, I will be having my balloon inserted. My dietician wanted me to join a support group so here I am! I am nervous and have a lot of self doubt about having the balloon. I'm most nervous about the first 1-2 weeks after but especially the first 72 hours post op. Does any one have suggestions to alleviate headaches? I can get pretty bad headaches along with Migraines. My doctor is prescribing me Zofran, Prilosec, a muscle spasm med (can't remember the name) and Valium. They said no NSAIDs while I have the balloon. The dietician explained that the nausea and vomiting come from the body trying to 'reject' the balloon from the stomach.

Any suggestions with meal planning? I have a family and will need to cook for them, not in the first few days but eventually they are going to want meals! Also, how much Protein is your dietician recommending? Mine wants me to have 60grams x day.

I think I need to keep reading positive posts and remember the end prize = the weight loss.

On April 29th, I will be having my balloon inserted. My dietician wanted me to join a support group so here I am! I am nervous and have a lot of self doubt about having the balloon. I'm most nervous about the first 1-2 weeks after but especially the first 72 hours post op. Does any one have suggestions to alleviate headaches? I can get pretty bad headaches along with Migraines. My doctor is prescribing me Zofran, Prilosec, a muscle spasm med (can't remember the name) and Valium. They said no NSAIDs while I have the balloon. The dietician explained that the nausea and vomiting come from the body trying to 'reject' the balloon from the stomach.

Any suggestions with meal planning? I have a family and will need to cook for them, not in the first few days but eventually they are going to want meals! Also, how much Protein is your dietician recommending? Mine wants me to have 60grams x day.

I think I need to keep reading positive posts and remember the end prize = the weight loss.

Cook ahead! chicken parm freezes great, pulled pork does too! Make large batches of pancakes or French toast and freeze them. I had bypass a bit over a week ago and have about a months worth of meals cooked ahead in the freezer. ( my mom helped too and made things for me.) Sloppy joes, Soups, meatloaf, there is a bevy of choices that freeze well.

@@myrlmn - first and foremost, don't fret. :-) It's not a cakewalk, but it's not a nightmare, either. I had the Orbera procedure two weeks ago today and all is well. I have also been talking to two other people who had balloon procedures that week, and one who had it the week before. Our experiences have been similar but different, ranging from getting really sick to not sick at all, and massive weight loss to very little (I fall somewhere in the middle).

You are right to be most concerned about the first three days. They were not fun for any of us, but some more than others. Of the four people that I mentioned (myself included), I think two of us got sick (although ironically another one started having trouble keeping food down later). I got sick at around midnight the day that I had the procedure, 8am the day after then again at 10am. That was it. (One of the folks sounded like she was really sick for at least three days.) I was not absolutely miserable ... I was more uncomfortable than anything. I was basically nauseous with a belly ache. By day three I started feeling better, and continued to every day for the next week to 10 days. I feel relatively normal now. I went back to work on day 6. I could have probably done so on day 5, but not before. If possible, I would recommend taking a week off.

It is important to keep hydrated. Those first few days I had Water, ice, Popsicles and eventually Jello. I had purchased Isopure Zero Carb RTD (which is a clear liquid) so that I could get some Protein and calories, but I just couldn't stomach it. I also tried broth but I could not stomach that, either. After that, regular Protein drinks will be helpful (I'm still using them). Find some now that you like and stock up.

It sounds like Constipation is an issue for lots of folks. Some of the materials that I have read even recommend taking a stool softener regularly starting a few days before the procedure. You might want to talk to your doctor about that because it can be pretty miserable when you're trying to recuperate.

In terms of headaches, does Tylenol work for you? (My doctor even recommended children's Tylenol if liquids were easier after the procedure.) If not, you might want to ask your doctor about Tylenol 3. Just be aware that some people don't tolerate it well. It can make you queasy if you take it on an empty stomach, and it can contribute to constipation. I have not had any trouble with it, and it has worked well for pain in the absence of NASIDs (I used to take Advil often).

Regarding Protein, I was told to get 60-80 grams. Apparently 60 is relatively typical for most women, I was just advised to try for more because of my height/size.

In terms of meal planning, can anyone in your family help with that? It sure would be nice if you didn't have to worry about it for awhile. But if it falls on you, for the first few weeks you might want to rely on ready-made meals for your family so that you don't have to fuss much. Pre-packaged salads, frozen vegetables (some come with seasoning/sauces and/or other ingredients), frozen lasagna, etc.. The less you have to worry about, the better. You could also start cooking/freezing dinners now. If you are going to eventually eat with them, homemade Soups are a great option. Also, recipes that include nutritional information so that you can track your calories and protein would be good. For example, Weight Watchers crock-pot meals that require little prep on your part. Start looking for recipes that sound yummy, healthy and easy to prepare now. In the beginning, softer foods that are easier to digest would be better.

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you on your new journey! Please keep us posted and feel free to reach out via a private message if you would like to chat further. :-) Cheers!

I'm most nervous about the first 1-2 weeks after but especially the first 72 hours post op. Does any one have suggestions to alleviate headaches? I can get pretty bad headaches along with Migraines. My doctor is prescribing me Zofran, Prilosec, a muscle spasm med (can't remember the name) and Valium.

Just my two cents. :)

Zofran gives me a terrible headache. I'd rather feel nausea than the headache I got when I took that.

I'm most nervous about the first 1-2 weeks after but especially the first 72 hours post op. Does any one have suggestions to alleviate headaches? I can get pretty bad headaches along with Migraines. My doctor is prescribing me Zofran, Prilosec, a muscle spasm med (can't remember the name) and Valium.

Just my two cents. :)

Zofran gives me a terrible headache. I'd rather feel nausea than the headache I got when I took that.

Oh my ... I don't know what I would have done without zofran. But it didn't give me headaches. Apparently it can cause neurological issues in some people (I had asked my doctor about it - he said it was rare), so that might explain the headaches that you've experienced. :-/