Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Balloon Procedure Booked!

Hello all, I know it's been a while since I posted but since I started this thread I figured I'd update you all, as I'm having the balloon removed next month (6-month mark).

I'm now 72 lbs down, suit size 58 to 48, jean size from 48 to 34 and feeling like I can hit 85 lbs lost by the date it's out. It's been an amazing, lesson teaching experience. I'm just starting Weight Watchers as I think it's the best chance for me to continue towards my goal and lose the extra 50 I need to. I would absolutely do it again if I was offered the chance but would much rather that I am not paying out of pocket. Lol. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by islesdriveforfive

I might also add that during the 5 months, I lost my father unexpectedly and went through a divorce - both things that would have normally have caused me to eat emotionally (and probably drink emotionally too), and it was enough for me to get past all that, get through the ups and downs and continue to lose weight. Just thought I'd add that to my story. :)

Hello all, I know it's been a while since I posted but since I started this thread I figured I'd update you all, as I'm having the balloon removed next month (6-month mark).

I'm now 72 lbs down, suit size 58 to 48, jean size from 48 to 34 and feeling like I can hit 85 lbs lost by the date it's out. It's been an amazing, lesson teaching experience. I'm just starting Weight Watchers as I think it's the best chance for me to continue towards my goal and lose the extra 50 I need to. I would absolutely do it again if I was offered the chance but would much rather that I am not paying out of pocket. Lol. Good luck to everyone.

That's amazing! Thanks for the update! Congratulations on your success! Keep keeping us updated.

I got my balloon two weeks ago, I have lost 11 pounds, and have not been following instructions very well. I was very sick the first week, tried to go back to work, really shouldn't have. Take a week off. I need a dietician visit because I can eat most anything, but don't feel overfull until about two hours later, then I feel sick. I need to be more careful and watch portion sizes much more closely.

Question, when I first started looking at the balloon, it was only good for 6 months, did that get extended ?

Question, when I first started looking at the balloon, it was only good for 6 months, did that get extended ?

Not the Obera balloon. After 6 months it can rupture and cause a blockage.

Thanks for the update islesdriveforfive. Your story gives me hope and support. It just has been a really tough 3 days.

No doubt, the first week was hell. The second week was completely the opposite - I felt like a new person and it only improved from there. I couldn't have worked just based on the sheer level of vomiting I had, once they gave me the ear Patches for nausea (which should be standard BTW) I was able to start to eat and follow the level of Water I needed. I was getting very dehydrated. Powerade Zero saved me during that time to give me the extra electrolytes. Keep focused, you'll turn the corner soon.

Thanks for the update islesdriveforfive. Your story gives me hope and support. It just has been a really tough 3 days.

No doubt, the first week was hell. The second week was completely the opposite - I felt like a new person and it only improved from there. I couldn't have worked just based on the sheer level of vomiting I had, once they gave me the ear Patches for nausea (which should be standard BTW) I was able to start to eat and follow the level of Water I needed. I was getting very dehydrated. Powerade Zero saved me during that time to give me the extra electrolytes. Keep focused, you'll turn the corner soon.

Thanks for the information. Today, my day 4, was bad again. I am certainly not able to get 48 oz. of liquid down. I thought just days 1-3 would be miserable...and days 4 - 7 would be better. Better like - I feel nauseous, but if I just move slow I'll be able to work. This is not going to be the case. I hope the physicians take notice and be more upfront with folks about the side effects. When I called my doc today and asked about an ear patch for nausea, because I saw your post about it last night, they turned me down. They feel it has too many side effects. I'm a bit disappointed they are not able to manage my symptoms better. I want this to be a positive experience. I'm not too sure so far.

Did you ever take anything extra for acid reflux? Prior to the balloon, I took 1 nexium a day to control it. A week prior to my balloon, I started taking 2 a day.

Thanks again for your encouragement! I need it! :)

Thanks for the information. Today, my day 4, was bad again. I am certainly not able to get 48 oz. of liquid down. I thought just days 1-3 would be miserable...and days 4 - 7 would be better. Better like - I feel nauseous, but if I just move slow I'll be able to work. This is not going to be the case. I hope the physicians take notice and be more upfront with folks about the side effects. When I called my doc today and asked about an ear patch for nausea, because I saw your post about it last night, they turned me down. They feel it has too many side effects. I'm a bit disappointed they are not able to manage my symptoms better. I want this to be a positive experience. I'm not too sure so far.

Did you ever take anything extra for acid reflux? Prior to the balloon, I took 1 nexium a day to control it. A week prior to my balloon, I started taking 2 a day.

Thanks again for your encouragement! I need it! :)

They turned you down? Thats actually strange to me, I thought it was something they gave to people that go on cruises and wasn't really a bid dose of medication. All I can say is that the potential side effects, IMHO, are nothing compared to the ridiculous nausea I had the first week.

I did not take anything extra for the reflux, except 1 or 2 times (Zantac 150). It helped, honestly - but I don't think they want you to take extra on top of what they give you. I have also felt that the Protonix is the driver of feeling good, because I missed it a few days along the way and I felt like the balloon was coming up out of my stomach, until I took it again.

On your other topics, what I'll say is that the team at NYBG has been nothing short of spectacular - they even started a weekly support group run by the nutritionist that everyone has very much enjoyed and participated in. That being said - the product itself should be forcing the doctors that are doing the procedure to run the 12-months (6-mos w balloon and 6-mos out) just like its a surgical procedure (psych, support groups, meal plans), because without it the procedure becomes just like a cosmetic procedure.

Good luck to you!

- C

On your other topics, what I'll say is that the team at NYBG has been nothing short of spectacular - they even started a weekly support group run by the nutritionist that everyone has very much enjoyed and participated in. That being said - the product itself should be forcing the doctors that are doing the procedure to run the 12-months (6-mos w balloon and 6-mos out) just like its a surgical procedure (psych, support groups, meal plans), because without it the procedure becomes just like a cosmetic procedure.

Good luck to you!

- C

This is how my doctor is doing it. It's a 12 month program. I thought that was interesting. But I'm glad they do.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have my 1-week follow up with the dietitian tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to have to have a hard conversation with them about my symptoms. My medications are: zofran for nausea, promethazine suppositories for nausea, and reglan that speeds up digestion and helps with acid reflux. I also take Nexium for acid reflux. Our program is also a 12 month program, like yours.

Thanks for your support! I'll try not to whine so much in the future!

Hi all - today was my last day! I had the balloon removed this morning and it was a piece of cake - took 15 minutes.

That being said, I ended up 6-months, 77 lbs lost...in my mind a very successful procedure. It was very up and down the last 2 months, but I was able to maintain.

I've been cycling and now with the turn of the weather starting on a walk 5-miles one day, ride 20-miles the next. The key for me is to try and burn 1,000 calories a day. In May I'm doing the 73-mile ride to Montauk!

Hope everyone else is doing well

-C

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App