Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banders #7

Thanks, jfc193. You’re right, and I will.
  • Like 1

It's been a mighty long time since I've checked in here...probably over a year. I had to have my band removed last year due to a slip and other complications.

It took a while but I gained back the weight I had lost :( I've given myself time to heal and deal with some of the other personal issues life has thrown my way. Though you can't put your life on hold continuously just to cope with other issues. It's still so important to take care of ourselves, and I often forget that allowing myself to get bogged down in other people's health and wellness issues. Even my dogs get top billing.

I'm currently scheduled for bypass surgery in October. Right after my sons engagement party as a matter of fact! Party is Saturday and Monday will find me in surgery provided I make it through the liquid diet for 2 weeks and don't eat at the party but be good with my shakes and such.

My father in law just recently passed away and I have been helping my husband cope with the loss as well as clearing up all the legal/medical stuff. His Mom is very sick as well...and yeah it's been a hell of a month here. One of my dogs ate a rock and he needed gastric surgery before me! They had to resection part of his intestine to get the rock out...and repair the damage so now he's recovering and I hope I can be just as brave and bounce back just as well as he seems to be doing.

I think of putting the surgery off a couple more weeks to clear the hurdle of all this...and the engagement party, but that might be just me putting myself on the back burner yet again. So...the diet starts in a couple of weeks...Sept 24 is the start date, and by then I'll know if I can give this my all or if I need to push it out a couple weeks.

So that's what's up and what's new on this part of Long Island NY.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, Julie norton said:

Ok. August is upon us. It would be nice to see a few posts ... however brief... from some veterans Successful or not quite, I miss you!!

I still trying to be successful with my band, I was doing so good but

Good luck in your incoming surgery Lisa ! I am also thinking about a revision surgery, I try very hard but I keep failing to get to my goal with my band , I am always hungry I do not know what is wrong with me 😒

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Featured Surgeons

1. Masoud Rezvani

Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

2. Lisa Medvetz

Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

• Recent Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Shannon lee

Has anyone reading this lied about your weight just to get the surgery done?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Lucy81

I don't know what to do for my birthday being that I just had weight loss surgery I know that I have a lot to be grateful for
      · 1 reply
      1. iattcom

What would you normally do?

Instead of planning a meal, what about an activity that you enjoy.

If the weather is nice, plan a picnic and explain that you are not eating and will not be providing a cake instead if you wanted you could have birdseed bags that people could use to feed the birds or the ducks in a pond at the park where the picnic would be held. Everyone could bring their own lunch if they wanted to attend and you would only have to make little birdseed bags.

If nature walks are more your style, do something along those lines and just let everyone know that for your birthday you are planning an activity and not a party. There will be no cake and ice cream if that is what they are looking for, they can just stay home.

You could ask your friends to join you in a day of caring and you could all volunteer together somewhere either serving at a soup kitchen, helping at a shelter or a children's center or even a senior center.

• GreenTealael

I managed to finally break my old school manual Italian espresso maker... Is this a sign? 
      · 2 replies
      1. abefroman329

Of what?

2. GreenTealael

Of what indeed. I thought at first I should give up coffee, nonsense.h Then I thought I should go out for coffee with friends more. Then I thought I should go to Italy for coffee with friends and get a new maker...

• Naughty Glitter Goddess

Well, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and feeling really great!  I'm down 27 lb and 2 sizes since surgery and I got the all clear to start weight lifting again now that my hernia is mostly healed.  So excited to fit back in my cute coats for winter!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • dorijae2018

Hi i'm dorijae, and into my pre-op evals, still undecided as to sleeve or bypass, but thinking bypass.  Happy to see this support group.  Have read some of the blogs on surgery, etc.  
      · 2 replies
      1. 2shea

Welome dorijae2018, there are lot of supportive people on the forums, if you have any questions many are only too happy to help

2. Sosewsue61

Welcome. We are pretty friendly most of the time. Use the spyglass search option at the top of the forum page to find specific topics. We all decide on the type of surgery based on our current personal health conditions, what we prefer our outcome to be, and research we do. Some prefer bypass because they have consistent GERD, or fear getting it, some want a little faster initial weight loss, or consider it the best standard in bariatrics. Others prefer the sleeve because they do not want malabsorption of vitamins - particularly iron, want their stomach to have the valve and vagus nerve stay intact, don't want a pouch that can stretch, and lose just a little slower over a longer time frame. The real outcomes for overall weight loss is not much different in either surgery at the 18 month mark. It is a very personal decision and don't let anyone make it for you. Read and read some more and ask your surgeon a lot of questions. Good luck.

• Trending Topics

• Magazine Articles

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs