Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ha my bypass, last Monday, the 24th. I feel like it all went very smoothly, I felt really good. I went to my post-op appointment, yesterday and was excited when they started me on phase 2. I came home and scramble an egg with some cottage cheese - it was awesome? Then last night another scrambled egg. Well, I don't know if the eggs were too much, for my system, that hasn't had anything except Clear Liquids for 12 days, or what. I woke up this morning feeling not quite right. Then I started getting pain in my stomach and I was breathing extremely hard. After a couple of hours of this, I had my husband take me to the ER. It was a horrible long ride into the ER - it's in the city and I really only live 9 miles away, but when its 8:45 AM and rush hour traffic - it made for a very uncomfortable ride. So, I was absolutely miserable when we got there and they took me right away. After they did vitals and hooked me up to IV and other incidentals, the DR ordered Dilaudid and Zofran. When the nurse brought in the meds and before she could give them to me, I told her I was going to be sick. Once I threw up, I felt so much better. But, the still gave me a ct scan as precaution. A member of y surgeons team came in and said my ct scan looked extremely good. No chance of and of the surgical area coming apart, no infection, etc. So, they sent me home feeling good. After being home about and hour - it started again. I had 2 more cycles of this, but each one was easier tan the one before. Now, I have been feeling good for about 4 hours. How I hope that was the end of that. I have had anything to eat, today and I am too afraid to take any of my meds. All I've had is Water and a little bit of Powerade zero. So, has anyone ever gone through anything like this? The nurse at my surgeons office kept telling me about dumping yesterday - saying it will feel like I'm dying. Well, thats how I felt today, but I hadn't eaten since the evening before.

I had my surgery the 24th also. I haven't felt good since day 1. I hate feeling like this and wish I could go back to before surgery.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have felt really good, up until today. What has your surgeon said?

Could it had been the amount you had? I was told that when you start on solids, that you should only eat about a tablespoon to start. You might also be having a reaction to the dairy in the cottage cheese. Did you go from liquids to softs? I am surprised they didn't have you do pureed stage before soft? I am so sorry you were feeling bad. I really hope both of you start to feel better!!! Are you still on pain medication?

@@tls1210

I have had this same experience. I figured out that it was eggs for me. My tummy could not handle them at all. I still don't understand why.

I am 11 months post op and have recently been able to eats eggs if it has other things mixed in like an omelet. Unfortunately they still feel heavy in my stomach so I can only eat about half an egg.

It sounds like you are experiencing dumping syndrome.

Generally those that have RNY surgery go through several phases for meals.

During the first 4 weeks post-op: full liquids

During the next 4 weeks: pureed foods

After week 9 post-op: solid foods.

It sounds like you jumped from full liquids to solids after the first 12 days. It sounds way too soon assuming you had RNY gastric bypass surgery.

pureed foods are necessary following surgery to allow the staple lines in your stomach to heal and to prevent nausea and vomiting. Generally to puree food it needs to be blended in a blender. It should have the consistency of pudding.

Hello - I just recently went to a support group meeting and there was a huge discussion on eggs and I learned that my surgeons office is in the process of moving eggs to stage 6. I had the same problem - the first time I had a half of scrambled egg with cheese it was like being in heaven and the very next day I had another one and it made me sick. I am now on stage 6, but afraid to try another egg :-)

Well, I just got home from an overnight in the hospital - I had another one of these attacks. This time I called the Doctors office and ate exactly what they told me to. I am on phase 2 pureed and they only want me eating Protein purees. They recommended 1-2 tablespoons of cottage cheese. So, I had 1 tablespoon about 1:30 in the afternoon and about 10pm I started getting so sick again. No matter how many times I threw up, it would not make me feel better. Talked with the on call doctor who was convinced it was gas or I needed to go to the bathroom. He told me to take Milk of magnesia. Finally, around 2AM my husband took me to the ER. They admitted me for observation. My surgeon came in this morning and seems to think that it's just my system not tolerating the food. So, I'm back on clear liquids for 3 days and then she wants me to try applesauce. I wanted applesauce after my first attack and my surgeons nurse said no applesauce or fruit only protein. Please wish me luck because I never want to go through one of these attacks again - they are horrible!

You may want to try a full liquid phase in between the clears and purée. It's a rough time for our pouches to get used to food, take it slow and add just one thing at a time. I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.

I agree, add one food at a time so that you know how you will react to it. I am so sorry you are having a rough time. Call your NUT and see what she recommends. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Hugs!

Edited by Dream4tc

I know it sounds gross but I tried an egg over easy with a very runny yolk and smashed it all up and that was some of the best I've ever had with a little salt it tasted so good! And there was no sticking problems because it was so moist from the yolk.

Edited by loo loo