Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aussie Bansters Chat Thread Part 2

Hi Everyone...

Having a bad day today... cant eat anything without bringing it up and only can manage a few sips of Fluid. I had a fill nearly 2 weeks ago and i felt more restriction but now i feel heaps... too much.

Im not sure why and im really worried something has gone wrong. Is it possible for restriction to kick in to this degree 2 weeks after a fill???

I was really busy yesterday and didnt eat a great deal... could this have contributed to my band tightness today.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Hi Bronnie

I havent been on the website for a while but once I read your post its a relief to see that I am not alone with this problem. I really felt like I had done something wrong as well. Shortly after I had my first fill, I got something stuck and then after that I couldnt tolerate Water or 2 crackers with out feeling refluxy with heavy pain and the funny noise in my throat. I threw up a couple of times as well and had immence pain nearly every day. I actually resorted to icecreams for energy. I have had like you a few bad weeks of no energy and being very grouchy.

Last week I had 1/2 the fluid removed from my band. I was told that some people cant tolerate much in their band or even none at all and its a balancing trick when you start. Also I was told that it takes 4 days to recover from something being stuck or a puke from the band as it creates swelling. yep its a vicious circle. After my first fill and this removal I now do believe it takes a week to recover from a fill. Right know I believ i may need a weeny more, so I am going to do 0.5ml at the next fill time. I made the grave mistake of not flying to see my doc when I thought something was wrong and I shouldnt suffered for weeks with it. So please see your doc ASAP and do a barium swallow to see if everything is A OK.

Cheers Jo

Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm wondering if you can help? I had my first fill on Wednesday last week but I think maybe they put in too much?? 7cc in a 14cc band.

Thing is, I can't eat anything. I thought steamed salmon would be okay, but it gets stuck, even with lots of chewing. Also mashed potatoe is even a problem ;) Soups are okay, even alittle chunky ones (ministrone etc) but everything else seems to get stuck. Scrambled eggs went down, but only just.

I'm not sure if this is an indication of too much fill, or just that I'm not used to it. Before the fill I had no restriction at all (lamb chops, pork chops were all fine) but now, i can't even swallow potatoe chips (yes, I know they're full of fat, but I thought they'd just dissolve).

What do you guys think?

thanks in advance.

Hi Dazey,

I think that 7ccs is probably far too much to have put in at once to be honest. My recommendation is to have some taken out. You must be able to eat comfortably. A too tight band has also been associated with possible band slippage down the track if it is constantly tight.

Meanwhile I hope you are all well my banded and soon to be banded mates.

I have just finished three days of IV Methyl Prednisolone Drug treatment in hospital to treat an MS relapse. I am ok and am resting at home.

I just wanted to let you know that I am working on coming to terms with the changes in my body post banding. I have even been wearing some very cute underwear and matching sets to feel a bit better.:(

Hope you are all going gangbusters with the weight loss.

Best wishes to you all as always.

Susannah

Hi Susannah,

Thanks for the advice.

I think I may have over-reacted, alitte. It did get abit easier after about a week, but i'm in the learning what i can and can't eat stage, and it's definately a learning process. I think i'm gonna leave it how it is and see how i feel at my next apt, which is at the end of the month.

On the plus side i lost my first 10kg Yah!!

I like what you said about pretty undies, we girls really are suckers for pretty undies and manicures and facials and all that good (non food related) stuff, but hey, it's half the fun :(

take care.

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking for quite a while, reading all your positive messages and thought-provoking questions. I thought it was about time to stop by and introduce myself.

I have just begun the process of lapbanding. I spoke to my GP about it a week or so ago and have my first consultation with the surgeon at the end of the month. I admit I'm nervous, but more about the surgery than the banding. I'm terrified that I won't come out of the anaesthetic.

Like most of you, I have dieted on and off since I was a teenager. I estimate that I would have lost about 80 kgs over the last 17 years or so, but I have put that all on again. I guess I make lots of bad food choices, don't exercise and eat too much.

Anyway, I have hit my highest weight (142kg) and know that I MUST do something now or face some pretty serious consequences.

Well... I must say that I've never introduced myself in quite that way before, but there you go. LOL!

Hi Mrs M. Things have been kinda slow on this thread lately, but congrats on your decision to be banded!

Susie I PMed you, hope you go it :)

Hi Mark and others members. I have my visit with my surgeon next thursday. I have also been to see the dietician yesterday. Will hopefully get a date for sugery early next year.

I started at aprox 128kilos, now sitting on 122.4kilos. I am as nervous as a kitten about this surgery as I am 62. I am from NSW, Australia.

Hugs Kim xx

Kim, don't be nervous if its your age worrying you - both my parents have bands and are 59 and almost 60. They both wish they had of done it years ago and love their bands, they feel YEARS younger and my Dads severe sleep aponea has disappeared! Good luck with your appointment next week.

She Smiles, does that mean you all have a lapband in your family? Was it a decision you made together? I'm still tossing up about whether or not to even tell my family...

Both my parents and I have a lap band. My sister and brother lucked out and didn't get the fat genes somehow :cry

My Dad has had his 2 years in January 08 (he has gone from 125kg to about 92ish I think -my Dad has atrial fibulation and a blot clotting disease (non obesity related illnesses) though and can't do any physical exertion so hasn't exercised at all).

I've had mine a year on 22nd November this year (115kg down to 73ish right now).

My Mum has had hers since Feb or March this year (97kg down to about 80 so far - Mum is short thats how she qualified at that weight, and she goes to the gym and does a light work out 4 days a week).

Seeing Dads success convinced me to get mine and for Mum seeing both of our sucesses convinced her. I think Mum was the most unsure about it she was kind of like is it worth it, I'm almost 60 years old? Once Dad and I had decided to do it, we wanted it done yesterday. We all love our bands and the life it has given back to us now though.

I've only told my immediate family, husband and 3 close friends. The rest of my friends have no idea and think I am just eating less because I am into fitness now (I'm a keen runner, never would have guessed I would be 40+ kilos ago!). If you can hide away for about a couple of weeks after your surgery while you are healing (to be honest I NEEDED the 2 whole weeks after to be at home, I have a low pain threshold and am a wuss) and on the liquid diet, there really isn't any reason in my opinion why you should have to tell anyone. Telling people you are watching what you eat and eating less, isn't a lie to me....cos thats what we got the band to help us with!

My suggestion is to go see the surgeon and ask all the questions you have, and then make a decision, you can't make a decision yet with out all the information he will provide you. I knew once I spoke to my family's surgeon that he was who I wanted cutting me open on the operating table (that was the thing I was most worried about having never been in hospital before) and that I could live with the changes having a band would mean in mine and my husband's lives. Your surgeon really is the one who should be able to help you decide if its going to be something that can work for you or not.

Feel free to ask more questions here though!! I'm happy to help if I can :P

Hi Mark and others members. I have my visit with my surgeon next thursday. I have also been to see the dietician yesterday. Will hopefully get a date for sugery early next year.

I started at aprox 128kilos, now sitting on 122.4kilos. I am as nervous as a kitten about this surgery as I am 62. I am from NSW, Australia.

Hugs Kim xx

Hi Kim,

I'm also from NSW. I'm fue for banding on 3/12 and think this is the best decision I have ever made. Doesn't mean I'm not scared - I am - terrified, but it's this or die young. What surgeon are you seeing?

Danna