Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well my hair has stopped falling out at such a high rate (started a little over 3 1/2 months and stopped at about 6 months) but now my hair has a straw-like consistency. Any ideas on how best to get my hair not feel like straw?

My Hair loss has slowed as well. I went shorter, then shorter again. While I feel naked without my long hair, I keep telling myself it looks "sassy"! I am seeing some new growth at the hairline, so I have hope that I will have decent hair again. I have tried several conditioners to help with the dryness. Nothing really makes a difference. Let us know if you find one that works.

@@RILEYSMOM22 I found this posting http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/346853-yes-this-is-a-repeat-topic/?hl=%2Bstraw+%2Band+%2Bhair#entry3903299 and am going to try this ALTERNA DAILY DETOXIFYING Shampoo made with red clover and a lot of other Japanese extracts etc. Leave it on 5 minutes. If you normally use a conditioner, then the ALTERNA CAVIAR volume conditioner goes with it.

Well my hair has stopped falling out at such a high rate (started a little over 3 1/2 months and stopped at about 6 months) but now my hair has a straw-like consistency. Any ideas on how best to get my hair not feel like straw?

What kinds of products are you currently using on it? Using too many products with Proteins in them can cause the hair to become brittle. Any heat styling can really dry it out. How often are you washing your hair? Do you get your hair colored?

I recommend washing your hair every other day at a minimum and really try to avoid heat styling. If you want to blow dry, curl, or straighten your hair, make sure you use a heat protectant (serums, sprays). Try to buy sulfate-free shampoos. Just be as gentle as possible with your hair. Even brushing your hair too much can cause damage. I switched to only using a comb several years ago and I feel it's really helped with my hair's health. I've always colored my hair a lot (including bleach) but it's remained healthy.

My surgery was on 9/23 and my Hair loss started right around Christmas time. It just stopped falling out as much about two weeks ago - so it was falling out for a similar amount of time. I'm very relieved it stopped. I ended up cutting off quite a bit of my hair as well. I do have a lot of hair so while it did thin out, the hair loss wasn't too noticeable. I was starting to get worried!

My hair seems to be better after I used a Clarifying Shampoo and a Aussie 3 min conditioner on it and a slight trim. I wash my hair almost every day but it used to get more oily (since the surgery not as oily).

Welcome to....

post-261774-14602995706454_thumb.jpg

@@lilbeanie We had surgery on the same day! I'm not losing nearly as much as I was. AND... I see new growth along the hairline. I have gone to a chin length layered cut. It has some natural wave, which keeps me from looking too scalpy. I try to only Shampoo every other day, but I usually wake up the second day looking a bit witchy. I spray it with a leave in conditioner and scrunch it. That helps.

@@lilbeanie We had surgery on the same day! I'm not losing nearly as much as I was. AND... I see new growth along the hairline. I have gone to a chin length layered cut. It has some natural wave, which keeps me from looking too scalpy. I try to only Shampoo every other day, but I usually wake up the second day looking a bit witchy. I spray it with a leave in conditioner and scrunch it. That helps.

@@RILEYSMOM22 That's so interesting - looks like we not only had the same surgery date, but the same starting weight as well! True surgery twins, lol :)

For second day hair, using a dry shampoo works wonders. One of my personal favorites is the Klorane Dry Shampoo. They have a tinted version if your hair is darker. Dry shampoos are also great to give some volume as well, which is definitely beneficial for anyone who's really feeling like they lost a lot of hair!

As far as extending the length of time between shampoos, you really have to train your scalp for it. Shampoo strips the oil that our scalp produces, so it will overcompensate by creating more oil if it is being washed all of the time. Even for myself, I really feel a little gross going out more than two days without having washed it (I wash my hair at night - it takes forever to dry and I don't use a blowdryer), so I try to use days when I don't have to go anywhere to drag it out a little longer.

I do use clarifying shampoos from time to time as sometimes I need something to get rid of product buildup, but I find it best to use a shampoo with tea tree oil in it. I'll also use an apple cider vinegar rinse (diluted with water) from time to time as it is the most clarifying method I've found and it also leaves my hair super shiny. Apple cinder vinegar is great for your hair!

Can anyone tell I'm a huge hair enthusiast? haha :)

Edited by lilbeanie

Yolie, I am having gastric sleeve with Dr Holden (Kim Bariatrics) and she requires 3 weeks pre-op diet with Protein Shakes and liquids. I was beginning to think I was the only one that had to do 3 weeks!

Will you be having surgery at Baylor Trophy Club?

I hope to have my surgery late July or early August. Let's stay in touch!

Excited for everyone and so glad we are all in this journey together.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Urgh.... have to buy a suit for a wedding i'm going to next month. Still feel like my body is "funny shaped". I'm wearing 32 waist jeans, but my suit waist is seemingly a 40....... how does this happen? have i two different waists?

wish the wedding was in a few more weeks as i think i'll be at target by then..... sigh...... However i should just suck it up buy a cheap "fixer upper" suit to tide me over through this wedding and deal with suit related issues on a more permanent basis once i reach target.....

and this is exactly what i will do..... unless the bride might be willing to postpone until i reach optimum body size..... will give her a quick call to check... sure it's only her wedding day right :P

any news from you fine folk? 10lbs more here and i'm in "bmi 25 land"..... not quite as catchy as "onderland", but much much cooler and the final final Lasty McLastface waypoint before I set my beady eyes on my ultimate target.

@@Desmond Longbottom Wow and Wow!! You have made such great progress in such a short time! Congratulations on such a huge success! You are truly an inspiration!

Women have body shaper underclothes that help (but not fix) with the issue you describe regarding body sizes within your body being different. I don't know if men have that same thing or not. If not, then just remember how very different you are now less than a year ago and take pride and happiness in that and enjoy the wedding!

googling "man girdle" now :P

That would be funny if i wasn't actually considering it :D

More news at it happens folks!

A lil pricy, but its out there!