Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing mind during the process

I was just wondering how many people have changed their mind during the process. I am thinking of the sleeve but keep going back and forth. My insurance has a 3 month wait so I have time to do more research.

I have lost weight on and off for over 20 years. I am 36 now. I know how to loose weight but I never keep it off.

I know my eating habits are terrible lately and part of me says if I just change this I can do it on my own.... but then I remember all the times I have done that.. I see a lot of people saying the only regret was not doing it sooner.

My plan right now is to give it my all during the 3 months, I mean what can I loose except weight? If I stll have trouble keep going on for surgery.

I wondered if anyone had lost weight during their wait for surgery and changed their mind.

Thanks

I was required to do a 6 month, doctor supervised diet as part of my insurance approval process. So yes, I did lose weight during my waiting period. To be honest, I probably only gave it my best the last two months. I was losing weight all along but very, very, slowly! I lost a total of about 14lbs prior to my surgery. Obviously, this was not enough to push me towards not having surgery. I had pretty much made up my mind though before I was even approved that I wanted to go through with surgery no matter what.

Even if you loose a significant amount of weight, I would still be concerned about keeping it off. I believe the stats are something like : only 5% of people who lose weight, on their own (not wls), keep the weight of past two years. Now, don't quote me on the number, I am trying to remember it from something I read before surgery.

Anyway, it's normal to be in the fence a bit. This is major surgery and a major life change. I can say that I have zero regrets though!

I am 33 and had the same concerns. My doctor and a friend that's a nurse practitioner both told me that the body is kind of like a thermostat... You may lose and gain and lose and gain but generally people stay around the same weight. I knew from watching my parents and my history that this was true. It would take something drastic to change my body's thermostat. My big decision maker was that I didn't have any comorbidities... yet. I don't want to develop them and if I stay at this unhealthy weight then I would definitely develop them.

I don't have a person experience with this but wanted to share a story one of my nurses shared with me pre-op. She shared that one potential patient was interested in having WL surgery. Her insurance required that she do 6 months medical weight loss plan first. In those 6 months, she lost the weight and did not need to have surgery. For me, that was something I considered but I knew that WL surgery was my best option. Good luck to you!

I am having surgery in September and am very anxious about it. Anyone else?

I got serious right away during my 6 month wait that the insurance required. I lost 60 pounds and still went through with it. I knew I could do it on my own too, but always had trouble keeping it off. I met my goal in 6 months and Aug 25th was my one year anniversary. I don't have a single regret. Not one!

That's a normal feeling. Having any kind of surgery is definitely concerning at times. I had mine in February and it was really pretty simple and I would definitely do it all again. I could have never lost this weight without it

I am having surgery in September and am very anxious about it. Anyone else?

I have my last nutritionist appt sept 8 and I am DYING to get this done! I don't have any anxiety and I have been trying to follow along here to see what others were experiencing. . but for me, I guess I'm eager and not anxious BC I know (1) there is risk in all surgeries and i need to trust the professionals, (2) nothing I so now will get my results. This is it. I'm embracing it!

So happy for you good luck

I have been losing weight since I am 16. More than half my life I have spent on the yo-yo. Sometimes I lost a lot of weight, sometimes I lost only 20 pounds. Sometimes I kept it off for a year, sometimes just a month. But every single time my weight eventually began to creep up. Back to its set point.

For me, the hardest part was accepting the fact that I could not do it alone. Diets just don't work for me. Not for long-term weight management. Now that I'm 43, the risks of staying obese far outweigh the risks of surgery. But at 33, I don't think I would have made that decision.