Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

Oh how about " you can't eat that!"

I just literally spazzed out on my husband because I asked him to pick up some pudding at the grocery store. I get so agitated when people who have not been sleeved , nor have met with any nutritionist, nor any doctors- try to tell me what I can eat or can't eat! I'm the one who just had 85% of my stomach removed! Do you honestly think I'm going to eat any-damn-thing that is going to hurt me or impede my success??? Just shut up already!

* I think this was more of a vent than anything.*

My husband just did this to me as well.. over a teaspoon of simple Syrup in my oatmeal.

Then he told me to fail ... he was tired of trying to support me if I was just going to hurt myself with bad choices.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've been all sorts of weight, slim, chubby, pregnant, fat pregnant, and now I'm obese borderline morbidly obese. Whenever I get asked what size I wear. I ask what size are you, then say 4 sizes more than you or 8 sizes more than you etc...they never ask again.

One time when i was pregnant and started really putting on the weight a old hag at my job said I don't look pregnant at all. I just look fat! Mind you I was a size 8 pre-pregnancy and a size 12 and 8 months pregnant when she called me fat.

I haven't done the surgery yet, but I'm not looking forward to the vicious comments that will definitely be directed my way. Especially from my co-workers.

I have told two girls at work already, one is a good friend and the other knows people that have done it and has been a great source of information about both successful and unsuccessful results and so on. They both will be coming with me to the gym once I can work out so we can keep each other accountable. The rest I'm just going to tell I lost the weight by not eating as much and exercising, which isn't really a lie...right?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I get from my fiance oh you took the easy way out OMG I was so hurt when he said that.

People dont realize how hard this process can be

I better not hear anyone tell me I took the easy way out. As hard as it it's to drink a Protein shake while your family enjoys a decent meal. And I'm enduring this pre op. I might would curse. I don't think surgery in any aspect is the easy way out.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

My personal favorite.....You really didn't look like you needed to lose that much weight. REALLY??? Were you blind?

Just got told that!! Exact words : you're not fat enough for Bariatric surgery!

Well apparently my dr thinks so! ????

They were probably trying to be polite while thinking to themselves, what took her so long. My aunt said the same thing to me and I was like, who were u looking at? I went from 145lbs and a size 5 in a span of 3yrs. Had a traumatic accident on the job which disabled me and then found out I have MS. Everything that I was on had massive amounts of steroids in it and I blew up so fast. And of course while taking those meds, u can't lose the weight. So I'm suffering in pain without the meds for now but it's getting much better with 102lbs off of me so far and I'm 3 months out from surgery

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Oh how about " you can't eat that!"

I just literally spazzed out on my husband because I asked him to pick up some pudding at the grocery store. I get so agitated when people who have not been sleeved , nor have met with any nutritionist, nor any doctors- try to tell me what I can eat or can't eat! I'm the one who just had 85% of my stomach removed! Do you honestly think I'm going to eat any-damn-thing that is going to hurt me or impede my success??? Just shut up already!

* I think this was more of a vent than anything.*

My mom does the same thing as her and my dad sit there eating a piece of cake or something sweet with each meal....lol.

I get from my fiance oh you took the easy way out OMG I was so hurt when he said that.

People dont realize how hard this process can be

It's the freakn hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I'm a mother of 2 sets of twins. They really don't understand watching what u eat, how much, not to drink and eat at the same time, chew 30x each bite, just all these small things u have to think of every single day

I haven't told anyone but my immediate family about my surgery so personally I haven't had many of those comments. But I know others who have

Mainly people seem to think that surgery is "cheating" that you could have just exercised and ate less and that was it. Well that doesn't work for everyone. There are people who can do that and be successful long term, but most people can't. How many of us have cut calories, exercised,starved ourselves, only to have lost just a few pounds.

Surgery is just another tool in the battle to loose weight. All the surgery did was change the shape of my stomach. I still decide what goes in my stomach, and I still have to choose to exercise. I can be bad and eat junk post surgery and gain weight, or I can be good and follow the plan and loose weight. The surgery was just a bit of help, most of the work is still up to me

The people that can just eat less and exercise don't have a problem with food. My problem isn't with food, I actually can go days without eating, but that doesn't help u lose weight either. But I have MS and with every medication had steroids and it blew me up so fast, there was nothing else I could do. Plus, I had to stop the meds before surgery so I stay in alot of physical pain. Unless they're in your shoes, they really have no clue.

"How skinny are you going to get?"

"You aren't going to lose more are you?"

"You don't need to lose anymore."

"You are just going to be depressed when you get fat again!"

"You are going to get addicted to weight loss pills."

"The calories you eat are unsafe."

You know I have heard many of these, but I also remember last Easter when I found a dear friend of mine dead on the floor . He was obese and had been very ill he was 52 years old. It was like looking at myself dead on the floor. That's when I knew that was not going to be me.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

People are so insensitive usually. They make assumptions about why you did the surgery without knowing the facts. They always assume it's because you want to be thin... And yes while that is a part of the reason don't think it's the main reason for most of us who did this. It's about being healthy and taking your life back...reversing diabetes and hypertension...

Sent from my SM-G531H using the BariatricPal App

I was asked yesterday by male coworker " I bet your husband is happy now!" I told him I don't give a "F" what a man thinks about my new figure if you didn't like me when I was heavy don't "F" with me now that I'm thinner. That shut him down real quick!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I started reading this tread and it made me feel upset and sad. I've had everything like this said to me.... It's so crap how people automatically put down someone and don't encourage. People are wankers.

❤️❤️❤️