Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

"Just make sure you don't become an alcoholic like my friend did. She is now in a nursing home from a car accident while driving drunk and can't take care of herself anymore"

Then later found out her friend was an alcohol before wls. smh

I was telling a co worker of mine that in my yoga class I pulled a muscle and have back pain from it, so she said "you should just go back to being fat, you had less problems " .. really wtf!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was worried to share not wanting any of these comments. Then I decided I live for me and no one else. If some one is negative I will smile through it.

My fitness eval lady did say wow you don't seem your BMI would be high enough, you carry your weight well..

I replied yea I'm tired of carrying it.

The day I was scheduled I nervously posted to my friends and family on FB. Not one negative comment. All support all lifting replies on they know my determination and I got this.

I posted today how it's day 4 pre op and the all liquids is tough. I received prayers and support.

I was surprised by it all but am glad I shared, if people do not lift you then the wrong people are in your life. I am sure as it goes a co worker or two will make a remark, I have them picked out ;) but that's ok. We all know we did what we needed to do and the haters are gunna hate hate hate.....

HW 330

CW 235

Surgery date 1/19/17-Sleeve

Edited by khanskitty

I'm use to stupid comments because when you have children with autism you hear all sorts of things

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

Wow - I was reading this thread and said, "Wait, did I post this?"

Yeah, as a mom of two spectrum kids I've heard all kinds of stupid and ugly. One of many reasons I told very few people about surgery. Those I did tell are all super supportive and on board

My PT however...

I obviously had to tell her and she's trying to understand, despite being from a professional athlete/a calorie is a calorie background.

But she's still asked if my stomach will grow back and what the sleeve's made of

I can sympathize I keep getting asked over and over again despite how many times I've explained it ( by the same ppl) I had a sleeve if my stomach will grow back or if it can be adjusted i think wtf? I just stopped explaining I just get this look of confusion if I'm asked and I change the subject or walk away I just cannot explain it anymore to ppl who just don't want to understand

Every time i visit my in laws I get the "0h my is that all you are going to eat" from my mother in law. I tell her yes did you forget that my new stomach can only hold a few ounces of food. She tells me oh but it is so little, aren't you still hungry? ???? Then I give my husband a look and he tells her mom you are not listening. She is like well it is just odd to me that you eat so little, you look pale. Do you feel okay? ???? I say, I feel fine. I think you are having a hard time adjusting to me eating smaller portions. Don't worry you will get used to it. She says well maybe but you look a little pale. I say well I may look pale to you but I feel great. ????????

" You were not big enough to need surgery"

"Dont loose too much"

"How much can you eat now"

"Do you feel weak"

"You look old"

And the most annoying

"I liked the way you looked before surgery"

I heard all of these things before surgery. I WAS an insulin dependent diabetic with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I am only 4 days post op and Praise God I am already off insulin and reduced dosages on my other meds. Take that doubting Thomas' pfft

You wont have the same character

Dont lose your sense of humor

I hope you dont get depressed

You could die, im worried for you(day of the op, thanks mum)

Youre not thaat fat

You cant pull off thin

Sent from my LG-H850 using the BariatricPal App

That I cheated so my weight loss doesn't count. Also had a couple of people comment what will I do about all the loose skin I will get.

What about the one where they say.... "you're going to look so old! "

That one is funny.

Be sure to take your Vitamins daily peeps and brush up on your looks. If you have grey hair, dye it. Keep your skin moisturized and drink plenty of Water. Each of us are different in our own way but it's up to us to care for how we look on the outside as well.