Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

At five days post op my aunt told me "oh I already see the skin on your hands starting to sag" wtf ! She even touched my hand and lifted my skin. I was like what are you talking about - I just hAd surgery !

At work my boss told me "if you would have just eaten 4 oz of food at each meal you would not have needed the surgery, right ? " i said its not that simple- perhaps you may want to do some research on bariatric surgery before you make comments like that. She responded - Im sure it is complicated but I figured that is what it seems like you are doing now. I responded by saying again you need to do your research about bariatric surgery to understand how it works - there are endocrine benefits to surgery that go way beyond just eating smaller portions.

On another occassion she asked me when i was going to tell my co-workers becAuse they were noticing I am losing weight fast. I responded - how is that any of their business? My personal life decisions are just that - personal. I really dont care what the have to say or are thinking. As my supervisor I would expect you to respect my privacy. She has not commented since - I am 6 months post op now. Down 60 pounds and I do not plan to share this incormation with co-workers.

At a family gathering someone asked so how much weight have you lost.., oh well once you get pregnant you will gain all the weight back.. I responded well thanks for the positive spirit -???? But that is not my plan.

At five days post op my aunt told me "oh I already see the skin on your hands starting to sag" wtf ! She even touched my hand and lifted my skin. I was like what are you talking about - I just hAd surgery !

At work my boss told me "if you would have just eaten 4 oz of food at each meal you would not have needed the surgery, right ? " i said its not that simple- perhaps you may want to do some research on bariatric surgery before you make comments like that. She responded - Im sure it is complicated but I figured that is what it seems like you are doing now. I responded by saying again you need to do your research about bariatric surgery to understand how it works - there are endocrine benefits to surgery that go way beyond just eating smaller portions.

On another occassion she asked me when i was going to tell my co-workers becAuse they were noticing I am losing weight fast. I responded - how is that any of their business? My personal life decisions are just that - personal. I really dont care what the have to say or are thinking. As my supervisor I would expect you to respect my privacy. She has not commented since - I am 6 months post op now. Down 60 pounds and I do not plan to share this incormation with co-workers.

At a family gathering someone asked so how much weight have you lost.., oh well once you get pregnant you will gain all the weight back.. I responded well thanks for the positive spirit -???? But that is not my plan.

Omg your aunts comment about your skin on your hand is the best!!! People are the worst lol. Glad we can all laugh about it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Those are some funny, some stupid and some sad comments.

So happy I haven't heard any of these. I didn't share my WLS with anyone but hubby and two friends who live far away.

@@VSGAnn2014

For these same reasons only my hubby knows and I have sworn him to secrecy. We live several states away from family and only see them a couple of times per year so that has helped. Persons I encounter now have never known me as a larger person so it's a non-issue even four years out.

Sent from my XT1096 using the BariatricPal App

Omg your aunts comment about your skin on your hand is the best!!! People are the worst lol. Glad we can all laugh about it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Yes my aunt is special! ????

Just last week I told a co-worker and she said, "I just heard on the news that a woman died having a tummy tuck". Huh...??? How is that related? I have also had my hairdresser tell me that her co-worker died from stomach cancer after she had wls. And that the wls caused it. Uh...wls doesn't cause stomach cancer, but couldn't tell her that. So, my now, go to response to those people, is that now they know a person who knows lots of other people who did GREAT and have NO regrets, and they can share that the next time they hear of someone having wls.

My husband (who has a BMI of 32), said once I'm skinny, people will look at me then him and call me a chubby chaser.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Leather'nLace

I told virtually no one, but I really stuck to the preopt and post opt diet and exercise program and lost 100 pounds in about 6 months which led to similar stupid comments:

1. Walking up to me while I'm eating dinner in a restaurant and saying "I want to see what you're eating". Or exclaiming (as I reach for normal food at a party) "you're going to eat that!"

2. Greeting me for months with the same statement "I don't even recognize you anymore". Gets old after the 10th time the same person says it.

3. "I bet you had to buy a whole new wardrobe"...

Edited by Cape Crooner

This weekend someone told me "oh you dont want to hang out with us anymore now that you are skinny" after I removed myself from the dinner table once they started bringing out multiple cakes and Cookies. Then there was an awkward silence. I just replied back " no i just cant eat junkfood and dont want to get tempted". It really hurt my feelings but I felt proud of myself for not giving in to my junk food cravings and saying no to family trying to push unhealthy food on me.