Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid things people say when they find out you've had surgery....

You can always stand up for yourself don't depend or wait on others to do so you are an adult and are deserving of basic respect and not have to be spoken to in a condescending way as if your a child you know you have an issue and are trying to deal with it you don't need further pressure and insults however "helpful" they are claiming to be that's not helpful that's passive aggressive bullshit trying to sugar coat insults as "help"

Husband wants to tell his parents. What should I do?

I think that depends on your relationship with your inlaws and how you think they will react. My inlaws know and they were supportive. But I believe that you have every right to ask him not to tell if you are uncomfortable with it

Shelly, I can so relate! My mother fat shames me all the time and tells me that I've let her down and she's disappointed in me bc of my weight.

I'm at the point where I want to have this surgery, and lose the weight and never see my own mother again!

She's actually told me before that she doesn't want to see me until I'm thin.

It's really bad. I've only gone to see her once this year (Mother's Day )

She keeps trying to give me incentives.. A whole new wardrobe.. If I lose weight..

She's very wealthy and I get an inheritance from my Father who passed away 6 years ago.. But my mother holds all the cards. She has threatened me several times to not give me the money if I don't lose weight. (My home situation is such that getting a job making less than my inheritance gives is not an option for me)

I was at my lowest weight last year

(40 pounds less than I am right now)

And my mom still fat shamed me bc I hadn't got to my perfect weight yet after all these years.. She bettered me in front of a friend.

I've forgiven her bc she asked me to.

But then it seems she hurts me again.

This last time of fat shaming was a week ago.

Sorry for rambling

This is awful!! Is your mother supportive of you having the surgery?

I have to admit, my mother also tortured me about my weight. She would constantly make comments. In fact, I think this subject deserves it own thread!!

Husband wants to tell his parents. What should I do?

Why does he want to tell his parents about your business? I'm just asking for clarification.

I told my GP what I was about to do before I had my op. As I live in the UK I had to pay privately for it myself as I wasn't considered obese enough to have it paid for by our National Health Service. The reply that I got was (as he looked over his glasses like a slightly exasperated headmaster) that he didn't agree with the idea of surgery and that it might be an idea if I tried 'portion control' first!!!!!! Luckily, at the age of 59 I can stand my ground so I just smiled and told him that I had been trying that for years and as it hadn't worked I was trying something that had a far better chance of working. I'm just over three weeks post sleeving and starting to get comments about bits of my anatomy being slimmer. So very glad I made the decision to get rid of that lump of floppy, stretched tissue that was my stomach.

"Oh my" "are you ok?" Did you see a psychiatrist?

Wow you lost a lot of weight..you look too thin?

Sometimes people are never f****** happy. That's why my friends we need to live our lives and not live what other people's ideas about our life should be. Keep smiling and stop explaining things to people. Who cares what they say?

I just got another one: how big were you?? I mean you're it REALLY big now, so how big did you start off??

Smdh

I had the nurse practitioner at my dr office tell me I'm disgusting because of the extra skin you can't win if your fat people have to say rude things you lose weight they still say rude things I guess there is no basic respect anymore

I had the nurse practitioner at my dr office tell me I'm disgusting because of the extra skin you can't win if your fat people have to say rude things you lose weight they still say rude things I guess there is no basic respect anymore

Holy sh*t she would've gotten a piece of my mind!

And maybe a bit of my fist.

(No not really but it would definitely cross my mind!)

It's so weird...I told NO ONE and only took a week off work. Since I wear that stomach brace wrap thingy you can't even tell that I've lost weight.

It's been 3 weeks and no ones said a thing. By the time the weight loss shows no one will put the two together.

I just said I was walking more.

Well I almost lost it but I thought why bother wasting my breath people will say or think what they want she was giving me a flu shot and lifted my sleeve to access my and said oh that's disgusting about the "wings" on my arms coming from an overweight person herself no less she has been extremely negative about me having this surgery ever since each time I've been there she makes snide remarks and tells me it was the worst decision I ever made etc... Let's see I'm down 200 lbs off some meds it sure wasn't better when I was over 400 lbs call me crazy I think this was a great decision !

Edited by shellyd88

@@shellyd88 ... your "nurse practitioner" needs to get reported to her supervisor / doctor(s). That is appalling behavior.