Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm a teacher and I had the sleeve surgery done the day after school was out for the summer. None of my co workers know about it. I am 2 months post op and down 30 lbs. I start back to work next week but went in today to set up. I saw a couple of my co workers and not one of them mentioned anything about my weight loss:/ has anyone else experienced this???

I'm sure they probably noticed but just didn't want to say anything. A lot of people realize it's embarrassing to be told "hey you lost weight!" So they go out of their way not to say anything. I'm sure as you lose more and more people will ask what I always asked "how did you do it?!?" Which isn't because I want to be judgemental, but because I have always been looking for the diet, exercise routine, pill, etc. that is finally going to help me beat my weight problem.

I wouldn't say anything to someone who had lost a lot of weight unless I knew for sure that they were dieting and trying to lose weight. There's always a risk that they've lost weight because they were ill, and if you aren't particularly close of them there's a risk it insinuating that they were big before! They probably did notice, so don't be upset. You're doing great!

I experienced this also...

Quit my old job right before surgery and didn't see any of them until I was 50 pounds lighter! Not one person asked me if I lost weight! Inside I was pretty upset, but I got over it.

I think maybe people don't want to offend us... and then sometimes maybe they just didn't notice. Like maybe you look different, better, but not SO drastically different that people would say "OMG you lost weight!" At least that is what I told myself when people who hadn't seen me since I was 250lbs!

From past experience i have to lose around 50lb until it's noticeable to others :)

I agree with Sajijoma. The probably noticed but didnt want to say anything out of embarassment. Maybe they would think you would be offended if they even suggestedto diet.

I started my pre-op the day after school also and I am down 41 pounds. I helped at an ice cream social the other night and no one said anything. Most people know I have had surgery and for me I just think they didn't want to breach the subject just in case I didn't want anyone else to know. Just remember, compliments are nice but we are doing this to get healthy.

I've lost 40 pounds in the last 10 weeks, and I don't think anyone who didn't know I had surgery has really noticed. I don't think I look any different yet, even though I feel the difference.

I also am a teacher who had my surgery the day after school let out. I am down 50 and dying to see if anyone notices on Monday. I'll let you know.

I didn't get the "holy cow" comments until I hit about the 70 pound mark. Other people who know I had the surgery commented at about 50 lbs.

Yes I had the same thing with work told only a couple of people, kept waiting for someone to notice no did, tried to tell myself that it wasn't important I knew I had lost weight and the couple of people who knew told me how good I looked but it is kind of disappointing. However I just had two weeks off work and came back with a completely new shorter hairstyle and boy did I get a lot of lovely compliments I felt so good and it really renewed my desire to keep losing. I think the fact that it has been winter here (I'm from Australia) and I just kept wearing the same loose clothing as I didn't want to buy anything new yet and when I went back I had more fitted clothing on, also as I was quite big I think it takes losing a bit before people really notice. I think as we lose weight we really notice every kilo but other people aren't always that aware of others around them people tend to be a bit self absorbed until its really noticeable. Don't be disappointed you know you're losing and one day soon people around you will all suddenly notice as well

I didn't get the "holy cow" comments until I hit about the 70 pound mark. Other people who know I had the surgery commented at about 50 lbs.

Exactly this for me too. People have seen me in so many different stages of weight loss all the time because of my history of losing and gaining, it really took around 70 pounds for the constant comments to happen. It seems once you hit a certain point in your loss, EVERYONE notices all of the sudden!

Same as others. I'm a nurse and a lot of my co workers knew about the surgery. When I went back to work, I was 45 lbs down. The people that knew did comment. Others noticed but I think they were afraid to comment. When I got to the 70-75 lb mark, the comments were frequent!

I'm down 40 and I think people know something's different so they say, you look great. It's such a touchy subject. Sometimes people don't know what to say. You look skinny (meaning you were heavy). People will start to notice...trust me! ????