Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. Just wondering how much time you had to take off from work. I had to cancel my Oct 13th surgery because I thought I could go back to work the following Monday. Surgeon says no, & that everyone needs 2-3 weeks off, due to extreme tiredness expected after surgery. The few people I spoke to, who went to Mexico, said they went back to work right away. They are my age. My job entails sitting mostly at my computer. I don't have that many holidays left this year & have been looking forward to getting a sleeve.....

Would you please let me know how much time you were off? Thanks in advance!

I was planning on going back after 1 week but found that I was way too tired to go back then. I did go back today successfully, which was 1 week and 2 days after surgery. My surgeon was fine as long as I get up and walk around every hour and listen to my body. As long as you don't have any complications you should be fine. I also have a coworker that came back after a week as well.

I planned ahead and took off for about 6 weeks. Not sure I could've did it any sooner, but I know not everyone is fortunate enough to be away from work that long. I encourage you to plan for the extreme physical fatigue and the mental cloudiness. Depression is also something to consider post-op as well!

I took 2.5 weeks off for surgery. I heard that the fatigue and mental fog is horrible and I need to use my brain mostly at work - I do sit all day. If I still don't feel up to it I might take one more week just to come back feeling great, we will see. My surgeon did say that he had one guy go back to work 48 hours after surgery. I think that's a little insane.

I took off three weeks but could've easily gone back at two. I also went back on a Thursday so I only had to work for two days before I was off again for the weekend. That worked out well. I'm probably older (64) than the average sleever here, and I'm a type 1 diabetic so I had a lot of fatigue and foggy brain days to get over. It also took me a while to adjust my insulin and blood sugar to my new eating habits, but after 3 months, I'm glad I took the time I needed to adjust which made going back to work easy. I'm feeling good, losing slowly but steadily and I do not regret doing this for a second! Those first few hard weeks will quickly become a blip on your past life with a new life yet to be enjoyed ahead of you.

Two weeks. Could have returned in one week. Sleeved.

I went back in a week and felt fine. I wasn't tired or fatigued after the first few days. Biggest challenge for me was prepping everything I had to drag to work with me. There is so much to remember with meds, supplements & fluids ... That"s a full time job on its own ???? hahaha

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I have a great job. My co-workers donated 2 months of sick leave to me.... I'm so glad they did because I'm having complications. I can't keep any solids down and I'm 39 days post ops..its hard to even keep puree food down. Uuuugh

I went back to work this week after 1 week post-op. I have been fine throughout the week. No real fatigue or brain fog. It feels good to be out of the house and moving around. I really feel that has aided me in my recovery.

I had surgery on Tuesday and went to work the following Monday with no problems